I need some advice please

by JaMu 31 Replies latest social relationships

• JaMu
    JaMu

Hello all,

I am a non-JW girl dating a JW man for almost 5 years now since end of high school. Most of the relationship has been long distance. When we started dating, we wanted a serious long term relationship that would end in marriage one day. We were also saving ourselves till marriage. I'm a open minded person and it didn't bother me that he was a JW as long as I was not forced to convert or anything. But recently since we are becoming more mature, I started to seriously think about his religion and what I may have to deal with in the future (ie. no bdays or holidays with my families, what religion our future kids will practice, etc). In addition to all of this, he is a very stubborn person who always expects me to compromise and sacrifice things in the relationship, and always telling me that my life with him will be happier. But recently I have been thinking hard about this relationship and the future. When I do my own research and ask him about his religion, he always avoids things and won't sit down and talk about. In addition, he can be very laid back in the relationship; I'm always the one trying to get us to meet each other atleast once a month and even through these 5 years, he doesn't make a big deal out of valentines day and hasn't bought me flowers or anything. I don't know why im realizing all of this now. He is not a bad person at all, he just doesn't know how to express himself. He believes on working things out and taking the morals and values of a relationship seriously. He's always there when i need to talk to someone and always makes me feel better and tries to make me happy, but in the grand scheme of things I feel like the religion will complicate our relationship more if im the only one doing all the sacrifices. I need some input on this please. Thank you!

• Simon
    Simon

If he's not making an effort in the dating phase, he's not a good catch. Don't settle (unless you are fuck ugly and have no other options - I couldn't think of a good way to put it) and probably not even then. If you are arguing a lot or not having fun when you are in the "few responsibilities" phase then it's not a good sign that things will improve when there is more pressure and bigger challenges to face.

Many JWs, like religious people in general, can be selfish and rather arrogant and expect you to be the one to make all the changes and compromises. If you are not a JW then they may also be conflicted somewhat (not a good place to be) because they are not really keeping to the rules with what they are doing so may not really be serious that the relationship will ever go anywhere.

• Landy
    Landy
    Many JWs, like religious people in general, can be selfish and rather arrogant and expect you to be the one to make all the changes and compromises. If you are not a JW then they may also be conflicted somewhat (not a good place to be) because they are not really keeping to the rules with what they are doing so may not really be serious that the relationship will ever go anywhere.

That.

If you go ahead with the relationship you will be the one that has to capitulate and compromise your beliefs to accommodate his. Bear in mind it's also a religion where women are subservient to men.

The fact that he has a relationship with a non-JW may indicate he's not strong in his faith and may be easily persuaded to leave but think very carefully before you go ahead.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

You have to make the arrangement to meet once a month or he wont bother. Does this sound like a man in love to you? Why isn't he desperate to see you? Your children will be raised as JWs whether you like it or not. So no birthdays or holidays for them either. They don't do Valentine's either by the way, but does he buy you flowers at other times?

Your sentence below worries me. I don't know your boyfriend but JWs are not open minded about religion, believe me. I have been separated from my JW family for nearly thirty years since I said I don't believe it any more. Kids that I didn't see grow up. A baby I have never seen. You need to know this, I am pretty sure you will be asked to convert and it will impact your relationship. Good luck with your decision. I know it won't be easy.

I'm a open minded person and it didn't bother me that he was a JW as long as I was not forced to convert or anything
  • joe134cd
    joe134cd

I'm really just stunned that he was able to pull it off for 5 years with out getting caught. I'm guessing that you have never meet any if his friends or family. If I was him I would be choosing to keep things extremely long distance. I can't sort of figure out the long term game he is playing. It sounds to me as though he could be someone who is very loosely - or by name only - associated with the JWS. There is just no way he could carry on like that for that period of time and expect not to get caught or have his reputation in tact. My advise is run as fast as you can.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

For five years you have INVESTED in a relationship that you hoped would lead to marriage. Has this relationship paid any dividends? NO, it has not.

You think you know how your boyfriend thinks, but the only thing you know is what you WISH he felt for you.

I'll bet money right now that your boyfriend is PLAYING you. Chances are EXCELLENT that Mr. Long-Distance has one or more close to home relationships; in fact, it is possible that he is married to someone else.

To him, you are a "worldly girl" -- a harlot or a slut who is not suitable as a marriage mate but sure makes for a nice toy from time to time.

Here's what you need to do to set Mr. Long-Distance on the "straight-and-narrow."

I HOPE you know where he lives. I hope you know what Kingdom Hall (that is what JWs call their churches) he goes to. If you don't know, you need to find out. Then go on line and find out when the SUNDAY public meeting is held at his Kingdom Hall.

DO NOT tell him you are collecting this information. You are going to surprise him. REALLY surprise him.

You are going to go to his Kingdom Hall and show up fashionably late for the meeting.

Then you are going to walk into the Kingdom Hall and tell the attendant who greets you, "I'm Mr. Long-Distance's GIRLFRIEND! I wanted to surprise him by joining with him at his house of worship -- we've known each other for FIVE YEARS -- ever since High School. I want to learn more about Jehovah and his righteous organization!"

He hasn't sent you gifts or flowers or Valentine's Day stuff for two reasons: 1) JWs believe that stuff is pagan and 2) you mean nothing to him.

Tell me I'm mean, tell me I'm insensitive; I've heard it before. I am also something else: I AM CORRECT.

You deserve a guy who respects you and is honest with you, and he IS NOT IT.

Tell us how things go, OK?

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi,

Everyone gave you good advice....take it...I know of a situation like yours...don't think it's long distance but this young lady is Muslim, and she was involved with a JW brother...she really likes him...I mean really likes him, he keeps in contact with her...I think he is playing her too..yet, he has a brother that is dating a non-witness girl...

I agree with Nathan...it's the hard truth..

You don't have to settle...we all want what we can't have...men that we can't get we always long for...don't know what that's about...I'm a female...sometimes we want guys that are just not into us. This seems the case with you. I say keep it moving..keep yourself open to meet someone else...and let me tell you this...& I'm talking from experience...go ahead and get someone else...and watch this JW brother come around...that's how people are when you don't want them no more, now they want you...happens all the time..again, this is from experience....

Find someone that is into you...as my best buddy says,...& she has a wonderful hubby..she says, marry or date a person that if they had two grapes and one was bad...your significant other would take the bad grape and give you the good one...that's when you know you may have the right one...

Again, don't settle..be the fruit on the tree that is high up on the tree so that if any man wants you they would have to climb to get you..don't be no low lying fruit..

Think with you head .....your heart sometimes doesn't always make the right choices...

Keep in touch..

• carla
    carla

Lots of real advice here. You can also search for ubm (unbelieving mate) threads on this site to see what a ubm has to go through when married to a jw.

You seem a bit upset about not getting Valentines from your so called sweetie? Along with no birthdays, Christmas, New Years, and Easter they don't do Valentines Day either. Thanksgiving can be a crap shoot, sometimes they will and sometimes they don't it may depend on who he is hanging out with at the kh. Can you live your life never ever celebrating anything again? or going to every family/friend gathering alone? How will you handle decorating the house? or not? may seem silly but if Christmas for example has always meant a tree and all the trimmings you will have fight on your hands or at least a few weeks of stress about it each and every year for the rest of your life.

Should you get married are you ok with all the time he will have invested in the organization (org)? He will have his mid week meeting around 3 hours, Saturday field service (fs) 4 or more hours, Sunday meeting around 4 hours), then there are the conventions 3 days (and he will take Friday off for this), special assembly days and if he is an elder I there are even more hours required. This means spontaneous weekend getaways are not likely to happen even if the weather is too gorgeous to ignore. He will be in a car with other jw's knocking on your neighborhood doors.

Are you ok with just how much control the org will have over your life even if you don't convert? Here is just a small sampling of everyday ways in which the org will affect you personally and/or your children's life-

no r rated movies and many pg are off limits too

as already mentioned, no holidays

his dress and hair & facial hair will be dictated by the org- yours will be judged by them and commented on when you are not around

your sexual life may be dictated by the org too, I shall leave that to you to research. Your private life will never truly be private by the way, if the elders decide to question him about ANYTHING he WILL answer, if he wants to remain in good standing.

music, the appropriateness of what you can listen to around him will be dictated by his jw-ism

if you have children he will attempt to keep them from "wordly" friends (anyone who is not a jw,) research the lives of those who have grown up in this cult and the deep emotional problems many have suffered

if you have children they will be discouraged (or outright not allowed) to join any clubs, any extra curricular activities, no band, no sports, and definitely no Girl or Boy Scouts/Clubs. Are you ready for this fight for your children?

School dances would be out of the question for young people

your conversation will be limited with your jw spouse- why discuss politics when they are supposed to be neutral? (even though they tend to be extremely opinionated) why discuss the state of the world when everything non jw is evil? court cases? why bother? the judge and the court are part of satan (actually so are you but that is another issue, don't take it personally) all of that is subject to change depending on his self righteousness of the moment or the latest magazine from the watchtower

Think joining the YMCA would be a fun family activity? nope, can't do that either.

You or your kids need blood, think your jw husband will make sure you have it to save your life or that of your children? think again, how will you make sure your life and that of your children will be saved? have a plan? A plan that all your family & friends know about but possibly he doesn't? yes, you might have to sneak around to make sure you all get life saving blood in the case of some accident.

This is just a sampling of how the org controls the life of jw's and their ubm's. I am a ubm. I fought like hell to keep my family together when my jw joined up. I never allowed my kids anywhere near a kingdom hall (kh) or kingdom hell as I like to call them.Thankfully my kids never joined the kh and will not be required to shun me by their so called 'church'. Do you know about shunning? if your kids are jw's and you are not (or even if you are) at some point they may be required to shun you if they want to stay in good standing

If you think you can reach him about the 'truth about the truth' (TATT) meaning that the jehovah witness are a cult, you can't. They must come to that on their own. A word of advice, if you want to remain in good graces with him do not call it a cult, it doesn't go over well. Trust me on this one.

So, lets see what you really have here, a long distance 'relationship' with a guy for 5 long years. You have saved yourself for the big night so there is no messy sexual intimacies to deal with. It you, not him that attempts to keep the 'relationship' together by making the plans and calling. You said, " I feel like the religion will complicate our relationship more if im the only one doing all the sacrifices.", yes that is how the rest of your life will go with this fellow unless he comes to TATT himself.

You really don't have a mature relationship with this guy, you have friend who you talk to on the phone. Ever try calling with a real problem on his meeting night? did he sacrifice and stay home to talk to you? no? you had to wait until the meeting is over or the next day? do you see how you will always be second or even third or fourth in his life?

I haven't even touched on whether you are a religious person or your beliefs and the jw's crazy doctrines! you can't even imagine, truly you can't. When I found out my husband joined up with this crazy cult and the insane doctrines I was absolutely flabbergasted that my husband could fall for this stuff. But he did and so here were are quite a number of years later and things are better but it was sheer hell for awhile and that is putting it mildly. Why would you willingly get involved with and try to make a life with a cult member is beyond me.

You are young, my advice would be to find someone close by that you can have a real relation ship with.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Hello. Here are a few thoughts:

In addition to all of this, he is a very stubborn person who always expects me to compromise and sacrifice things in the relationship, and always telling me that my life with him will be happier.

That alone, JW or not is reason to kick him to the curb. That is never ok in any relationship, and yes, that should be a deal breaker. Furthermore, can you imagine yourself spending the rest of your entire life living with a person like that? If yes, there's no issue then. If no, really think twice before taking your relationship further.

He is not a bad person at all, he just doesn't know how to express himself.

Sounds like you are already making excuses for him behaving in a way that doesn't make you comfortable and happy. How is that your problem? And is that supposed to make it better for you?

He's always there when i need to talk to someone and always makes me feel better and tries to make me happy...

That is and will always be for as long as you keep putting up with his stubbornness and putting up with doing things the way he says, and worse, he will always give you a stupid biblical reason to do so.

Like Dan Savage says: "DTMFA!".

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

If you want to surprise him at his KH, here is the search engine, https://apps.jw.org/E_SRCHMTGMAPS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit