January 2018 Watchtower

by Listener 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Listener
    Listener

The cover page shows a photo JWs loading a small plane with Watchtower literature to take to a remote area in Bolivia.

The first study article introduces the 2018 Year Text Isa. 40:31 "Those hoping in Jehovah will regain power". According to them, you may leave home to do field service or attend a meeting feeling exhausted but you return home refreshed and 'Jesus' yoke is kindly indeed!'

This article includes the following instruction

'If you have sinned seriously, Jehovah is ready to help you recover. But you must accept the help he provides through the congregation. (Prov. 24:16; Jas. 5:13-15)'.

Once again, they use the qualifier that only serious sins need to be confessed. The scriptures quoted don't mention that a JC is required and a judgement needs to be made over that confession rather than following the bible advise Elders praying.

Page 12 has the article 'Pleasant Unity and the Memorial'

Some amazing claims are made here. They bring new meaning to Revelation 7:9, 10 which discusses the Great Crowd shouting salvation we owe to God and the Lamb, by stating
    "How wonderful that Jehovah and Jesus are honored in this way by means of the annual Memorial observance!"

It would appear that this article may have been written to counteract comments that they may have heard from apostates regarding 'the other sheep' attending. Now they can explain to us that it is their greatest example of Unity.

By attending the memorial you are giving added reason for Jehovah to keep your name in the 'book of remembrance, the book of life'. Of course, there's no support for that idea in scripture.

Taking their comments literally means the Great Crowd are currently fulfilling the prophecy.

On page 17 to 21 is a study article titled 'Why give to the one that has everything?' and discuss the claim that he expects us to use our finances to support his organization today.

The Watchtower explains that giving financially is part of our worship to him and it shows our appreciation.

If the Watchtower asks for money, it should be given to them. Then they make clear that it's the followers who should be begging to give to them.

Our brothers, even those who are in poor economic situations, are like the Macedonians who were in “deep poverty” and yet begged for the privilege to give and did so generously.—2 Cor. 8: 1-4.

Then they explain how some make adjustments or simplify their lives so that they can give more.

They relate the following experience

"After touring one of our printing facilities, an executive from a large company was amazed that all the work was accomplished by volunteers, with voluntary donations, and without any sales or fund drives. He said that it should not be possible to do what we do. We agree!"

We aren't told who this Executive is but because he's from a large company we should be impressed with his comments. As for there being no fund drives, this executive obviously was being deceived. If we knew who he was, we could give him a copy of this magazine and show him this very article as an example of their fund drives. The article also explains how JWs are asked to give to special projects.

Page 30 shows the three phases of a man who transforms his life through Bible principles. First the man is depicted as a hostile thief with a beard, t shirt and jacket. The second shows him with an astonished look, learning from Watchtower publications, minus his jacket and now with only a mustache, the third shows him in a suit, clean shaven and happily helping an elderly lady at the JW.org Hall.

King David - mentioned 14 times through various articles

On page 23 they quote 'one Bible commentary' who gives an illustration regarding what a selfish person is like. The quote derives from a Puritan Devine (Clergy) who stated

"the Puritan divines drew upon pur native stock of words and coined the words selfishand selfishness. One of these divines made a useful comparison between authades and philautos. He likened the selfish man to the hedgehog that rolls itself up into a ball, presenting only sharp spines to those without, while at the same time keeping inside the soft, warm wool for itself. "http://studybible.info/trench/Self-willed

They quote three Bible Scholars

Page 23 references Bible Scholars in general
    Page 26 quote comes from a book called "A Biblical Theology of the Church"
    Page 28 quote comes from William Barclay recorded in 1954. His full quote, which is not included in the Watchtower, he explains how a braggart is arrogant in his heart and may appear humble, quiet and inoffensive and that 'in his eyes there is something which looks at all men with a silent contempt'

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I never felt refreshed after attending a boasting session or field circus. In fact, those activities are to give joke-hova the chance to harvest energy so it can enslave the whole world. You are never going to feel better after that.

And giving money because joke-hova wants it? That thing wants you to be destitute, always suffering and depending on your master for everything. This means always working on meaningless things, under threat of being tortured if you make a minor mistake or fall even slightly behind quotas, while "God's chosen" sit there making even more threats and harvest your efforts. Even events you don't control are used to create fear--and knowledge forcibly removed. How would you like to have your master crack down on you every time there is an eclipse or a spring tide? And get tortured for mentioning that the sun/moon alignment, not your failing to produce, is responsible? The more you give to joke-hova, the more you put that thing in a position to do just that to you and everyone else.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Article "God Gives Power"

" Read Isaiah 40:29. Serving Jehovah brings much joy. Jesus said to his disciples: “Take my yoke upon you.” And he added: “You will find refreshment for yourselves. For my yoke is kindly, and my load is light.” (Matt. 11:28-30) How true that statement is! At times, we may feel exhausted when we leave home to attend a congregation meeting or to engage in the field ministry. But how do we feel when we return? Refreshed​—and better prepared to deal with life’s trials. Jesus’ yoke is kindly indeed!"

Tell that to my wife who goes though hell to do an hour's ministry . As she struggles with poor health she gets precious little help from the others and comes home exhausted. .... The elders reserve the easy trolley work for Pioneers and those in good favour..........

• Half banana
    Half banana

Next years chosen year text "Those hoping in Jehovah will regain power" (Isa 40;31) could be read in the sense of wishful thinking by the organisation which has already lost power and hope to regain it . . . they won't.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Selfish people are like hedgehogs. Oh how I miss the depth of intellectual discussion I left behind in that religion.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

The first study article introduces the 2018 Year Text Isa. 40:31 "Those hoping in Jehovah will regain power"

Article "God Gives Power"

Our brothers, even those who are in poor economic situations, are like the Macedonians who were in “deep poverty” and yet begged for the privilege to give and did so generously.—2 Cor. 8: 1-4.

It never ceases to amaze me why an ALMIGHTY GOD who created everything in the Universe needs MONEY and MATERIAL THINGS from humans who in most cases can least afford it.? To finance his projects ?

Couldn`t God have provided the wealth from the earth ?such as Gold /Silver etc .to provide instead of putting the burden on the congregants ?

After all he is God Almighty isn`t he ? The ultimate Physicist /Chemistry/Scientist ?

So why would he need money and material belongings from impoverished humans to further his goals.?

Unless of course it has nothing to do with a GOD and is just an excuse for a religiion to fleece their flock of their hard earned money.

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

Interesting review and summary Listener - TYVM.

I noted that in the opening paragraph, the language is somewhat exclusive and supercilious - using the pronoun "you". As paragraph 2 progresses, the emphasis changes to more inclusive language - "we" & "our". The opening came across to me as somewhat conceited.

The magazine as a whole makes a melancholy read. One is supposed to go to the BoE for help when their aberrant behaviour is responsible for much hurt! We are to give the org more money for the WWW. Yet at the recent AGM we learned that the org is shrinking! Therefore, less money is needed!

I take such delight in giving them nothing and in now being counted as inactive. Thus, I am another who contributes to the drain of publishers in Britain. I'm proud of that - really pleased.

So they quote Bill Barclay. If he were alive today he'd be able to show what crass and vacuous intellects occupy Warwick and its writing/teaching committee.

• waton
    waton

The Yeartext is actually a fulfilled bible prophecy, namely motorless human flight, rising to ~16 km. higher than a passenger jet.

Fulfilled by those that hope, are confident that they have figured out, applied the creator's laws, use of his energy.

• Schnufti
    Schnufti
    According to them, you may leave home to do field service or attend a meeting feeling exhausted but you return home refreshed and 'Jesus' yoke is kindly indeed!'

Actually, most of the time I did come home rejoiced after the ministry. Not because I did something for Jehovah, but because field service was finally over.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

So a executive from a large company was amazed how the WT was able to accomplish all that he saw with free help/volunteers.

He was amazed because he was most likely thinking how can he get away with that at his company. That is if that really happen. Still Totally ADD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit