Millions now living will never die (orginally "may" never die) was the WTS lying

by blondie 21 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

This was first said in 1918 and adjusted to "will never die" in 1920. Of course, the WTS taught that the anointed had to die to go to heaven; but there was no great crowd teaching then, so they were talking about all non-anointed people on earth. The WTS members were known as Bible Students then and had been expecting the end in 1914 and it was adjusted. One date that was stressed at that time was 1925. So I think they idea was that people living in 1918 would be alive to see the end in 1925, which of course did not happen. So not lying, but true believers who were disappointed again. About 3/4 of the Bible Students stopped coming and partaking at the Memorial after 1925.

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/1925.php

Not until 1966 did the WTS again put forth a date with certainty, 1975. Came and went and the WTS lost 2% of their membership each year for 2 years after that.

But they did say that many jws would live through Armageddon, never dying, leaving loopholes. The jws in my mother's generation are almost all gone....those that hoped they were among those who would never die. I wondered what they were thinking as they breathed their last. That they would wake up in paradise?

I always wondered why escaping death would be such a "privilege"? Down to today, every human on earth has died, even Jesus. No one has escaped it yet. Noah his family lived through the flood but died later. Lazarus was resurrected but died again.

Was Jesus saying at John 11:26 (speaking to 1st century followers) that they would never die at all? Or was he talking about another kind of death? Or was he referring back to the resurrection and saying those that were resurrected at a future time would never die after that?

(remember I am just reporting WTS teachings not supporting them as my own)

• Saename
    Saename

What is dead may never die!

• prologos
    prologos

good points to think about. was it not for 1925 that they promised the resurrection of the patriarchs to take leading positions in the "golden age" they thought to develop in the USA?an age that was concurrent with the anointed "going home" like R & R ?

Tied to the unprecedented 'really not dying' promise, is their vacillating about who would survive Armageddon, even he anointed heavenly class was thought of at one time to survive the end, * to administer the planting of paradise. Bible texts are ambiguous enough to allow for that through selective quoting. WT always took the organic life of individuals to be very literally eternal. -- playing to the survival instinct honed through millions of years of evolution.

*Now, the anointed will die before Armageddon, contradicting Jesus word that they would not pass away. both Jesus and the bible and wt contradict each other, no wonder, not having a common plan oe script. , and -- just analising, not buying into it any more.

• prologos
    prologos
    S: "What is dead may never die!

The first version of a world wide series of talks given !918- 19 21 by Rurtherford. page 426 of the "JWs, Proclaimers of God's Kingdom" book.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I have the book that's tilted Millions now living will never die. I think it was printed in 1920

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die." -- HPL

• skin
    skin

And lets not forget, the very first lie to God's people, Adam & Eve. Satan said to them, you will not die, and they did die. Today its WT that continue promote this lie, but this time, its under gods name.

It was only a few years ago that the original "millions will never die" book was mentioned at a meeting as an early sign that Jehovah was using this org back then. Does not the very title say otherwise.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Judge Rutherford "I'm a big fan of Satan's original lie, it was an excellent marketing strategy"

David Splane " I'm a big fan of the "overlapping generations" business model myself"

• prologos
    prologos
    David Splane " I'm a big fan of the "overlapping generations" business model myself"

yeah, and with many now endorsing the 115/120 year human life natural limit, that will get the overlapping old anointed groups well into the next century. "never die" past 2125. nice centennial.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

noted

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit