by ThomasCovenant 15 Replies latest jw friends

• ThomasCovenant
  • JayDubyaDotOrg
    JayDubyaDotOrg

Da iawn

• cofty
    cofty

Good effort.

They could have done with a shield. If that tazer had failed it would have been potentially life threatening. I think there is a time when armed police just have to take somebody out. That was arguably such an incident.

• Simon
    Simon

Yeah, that was a fortunate outcome - it could easily have been a less fortunate outcome with some officer's wife widowed and their children fatherless.

I don't think anyone should have to risk their life unnecessarily like that - they give the person ample time to give themselves up and if they still refuse to, they should have no complaints about whatever hits them.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

Nope, nope, nope.

That officer is lucky he was not seriously injured or even killed. The taser had little effect.

Then after struggling to get control of the knives the officer drops them over the railing into the staircase below where other officers could have also been injured!

Next time, put on the night vision goggles, kill the lights, open the door and shoot him in the head.

Then take home your new dog.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Tasers don't work, I am large enough and have experienced electric shocks enough they hurt but don't phase me much. Under the influence of drugs/alcohol, you can walk through a taser shot with some muscle twitching.

It also takes ~30-60s to reload a taser if you miss. They're basically a 1-bullet gun and could be equally dangerous under the right circumstances.

These officers should've had guns. In the UK about as much officers (152 in 2019) die in the line of duty than the entire US combined (158 in 2019)

https://news.sky.com/story/how-dangerous-is-it-to-be-a-uk-police-officer-11786665

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Anonymous, 152 UK police officers died in the line of duty in 2019? I never knew that. Compared to 158 in the USA?

Where did you get that information from as the link you supplied doesn't agree with that .

I thought it was 1 in the U.K.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_police_officers_killed_in_the_line_of_duty

• Simon
    Simon
    In the UK about as much officers (152 in 2019) die in the line of duty than the entire US combined (158 in 2019)

Does the article you linked actually say that? Have you misread something or just hoping people won't bother to check the article.

It looks more like more officers may die in a year in the US than have died in the line of duty in the UK in the last number of decades.

• cofty
    cofty

Anon - 152 members of the public died last year involving police contact. Some of those will have killed themselves in vehicle pursuits. Others are counted as stats if they take ill and die in police custody. My son had a suspect who alternated between trying to attack him and collapsing. One minute he was wrestling with him and the next trying to resuscitate him. If he had died my kid would have probably still be filling in forms.

ONE British police officer died last year - TEN in the last decade. Three were shot and one was stabbed. Most of the others died as a result of vehicle crime. Reflect on that before you tell us how British police ought to behave. TEN in a DECADE! THREE shot in ten years in the entire country. One of those was off duty with no protective kit.

UK police approach to violent suspects is outstanding and very safe. We do have a large contingent of armed officers who carry guns in fast response vehicles. They are carefully selected, highly trained and show great professionalism and restraint. They rarely have to fire a weapon.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

Wow. That is quite remarkable! Obviously UK officers have massive respect.

They took out that guy on the bridge in London who was stabbing people right quick. With a little help from a citizen with a whale tusk.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit