I want to understand British references to your countries.

by compound complex 30 Replies latest jw friends

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Pants is underwear. Suspenders hold up ladies stockings.

Otherwise, most of what you need to know is explained very simply here: http://projectbritain.com/britain/greatbritain.htm

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I haven't heard the term 'commonwealth' since I was very young. No one uses it anymore.

It seems to me that the language is gradually becoming Americanised due to TV and films (Films = Movies).

As for Birmingham. What Stan says is correct. You possibly thought Ozzy Osbourne spoke the way he did due to a body full of drugs. Wrong! that's how they speak over there in Brum.

Charry - tossed you redcoats out

Blimey, you must be extremely old to recall that happening. I s'pose you won't get a telegram for the Queen then?!?!

drink coffee instead of tea

There was a time when coffee was cheaper to buy than tea. (Yes, I am rather old myself...don't recall people wearing coats that were red though). Then coffee became much more expensive than tea. I'm not sure how they drink tea across the pond. I think it could be said that the old stereotype of tea drinking Brits is a bit old now. there are Starbucks and Costas all over the place. You often see people scurrying around holding those lidded coffee containers.

Where I live, we are a strange mixture of Cockneys and Northerners (due to the railways and jobs and stuff), so when I speak, people are confused about my accent. People from the North say I sound like a Cockney until I'm with a Cockney and they hear us 'Rabbit' (Rabbit and pork = talk).

Globalisation. Is that a thing? Looks like the world is becoming so mixed up there are no real roots anymore.

I'm not even going to mention my daughter living in Canada (sore bleedin' point at the moment).

.........I'll let myself out................

• Tallon
    Tallon
    ... Not all Londoners are true Cockneys - traditionally that name is only given to people born within earshot of Bow Bells ... loveunihateexams
    Hi CC

Inline with the comment above, here are a few Cockney slang words;
    • · A Diamond - a solid person with the highest possible reputation
    • · A Face - well known villain
    • · Apples and pears – stairs
    • · Bit of tom – jewellery
    • · Dog and bone – telephone
    • · Going copper, cat's arse or grass - police informant
    • · Jekyll and Hyde - snide or fake
    • · Nanny goat – coat
    • · Rat - person without honour
    • · Saucepan lids - the kids
    • · Sweeney - police's heavy mob
    • · Thrupenny bits – tits
    • · Trouble and strife - wife

There are no doubt many more !

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Tallon - There are no doubt many more !

Indeed. They change over the years too. this depends on celebrities too. Names that are current and rhyme. EG. It's a bit David Bowie = Blowy, windy.

Also there can be a couple of rhymes for the same thing eg - Dicky Dirt or Uncle Bert = shirt.

Some double ones (I call them) EG Poppy = Poppy Red = Bread = Money.

I think some of it is easy to guess.

A lot of people here use rhyming slang irrespective of where they live.

I'm no expert. However, there are some cockeyed slanging rhyme words that I use a lot because they amuse me.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

A thing I find odd: Some people here say they're English. However, English is the language, British being the people. this can be a pain in the arse when filling forms out.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

I'm a Kiwi or New Zealander & may be one day an "Aotearorian New Zealander"

no I do not consider myself a "Commonwealther" although my country New Zealand is a member of "the Commonwealth" along with Australia the country I reside in.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Bit of tom – jewellery - yes that's from tom foolery - jewellery.

A couple more ...

Pony & trap - crap

Whistle & flute - suit

Boat race - face

Frog & toad - road.

These slang terms are not usually said in full, rather the first word only is used, e.g.

"I looked proper smart for that job interview - brand new whistle ..."

"Where are the toilets round here? I need a pony"

Also some Cockney slang terms have kinda evolved into a further generation. 'Kermit' means road ... because Kermit is a frog ... frog & toad - road ... crazy, huh?

So "going down the kermit" means going down the road; it can also mean going to jail.

'Arris' means arse (US Eng - ass). It comes from Aristotl - bottle ... which comes from bottle & glass - arse (we Londoners pronounce glass as glahss, to rhyme with arse).

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

I think of myself as English first, then British. Never, ever as European though.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

This is the view sometimes described as "little Englander" mentality.

• St George of England
    St George of England

The Isle of Man is famous for its motorcycle racing and Manx kippers.

.....and Manx cats don't have a tail.

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit