'feel-good news': Car park chivalry nets charity £2,000

by Simon 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

I'm sure the WTS won't be using this example to show how evil everyone outside the WTS is:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/3264657.stm

• SM62
    SM62

That's a really nice story.

I was reading yesterday of a young student who won £16,000 on 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire' and she gave the whole lot to an orphanage (in Thailand I think) where she worked during her gap year. She really needed a computer for her studies but decided the kids in the orphanage needed the money more. I hope some rich person reads about her and gives her a computer.

I am really going to enjoy doing lots for charity now that I am moving away from the WTS. I used to belong to lots many years ago and took part in fundraising and everything. But since becoming a JW, it was frowned upon as a waste of time and money so I had to stop. Now I am (almost) free to do it again!

Terri

• Mutz
    Mutz

I remember a few years back a day out I had with some JW 'friends' in Colchester. We were walking through the centre of town when out of the corner of my eye I noticed a disabled girl in a wheelchair collecting money for charity. I stopped, turned around and put some money in the collecting tin. When I made to rejoin the group they were standing there with their mouths open. I was asked "why did you give her money???". I replied that it was the right thing to do and bugger anyone else who was too mean to cough up for those who need help. As you can imagine there were a few raised eyebrows.

• anglise
    anglise

Yep it's really nice to be able to give to charity and NOT feel guilty or have to justify it in some way.

It reminds me of a slogan I once read, I cant remember where from, it said

"WE BELIEVE IN LIFE BEFORE DEATH"

Anglise

• Dansk
    Dansk

What a great story, Simon. It really makes a mockery of the Watchtower telling us Jesus gave freely so we should give freely - then lets thousands of people starve or die by pouring immense wealth into building ventures instead.

Ian

• DJ
    DJ

Lovely story Simon. You have a pm.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit