What do you call Jehovah now that you are not a dub?

by SiouxWoman 50 Replies latest watchtower medical

• SiouxWoman
    SiouxWoman

Can we still call god, Jehovah. OK stupid question but I really want to know

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

Use whatever name you want. No rules in that area, anymore.

As for myself I don't bother at all.

• logansrun
    logansrun

What I'd like to know is, what does this have to do with "blood, medical treatment and depression"?

Oh, btw...I call god,

Bradley

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Yeah, I still call God Jehovah when I pray. However, I have discarded many of the Bible's notions of who He is and what He is up to, in fact, He isn't a He - he's a spirit, ergo, no gender, but I refer to him in the masculine because that's who I can identify with.

A great deal of my current theology is based on personal experience, studying creation, and social philosophy.

I don't pray through Jesus anymore. I don't believe in original sin anymore, ergo, no need for a ransom or a mediator - in fact I strongly doubt the historicity of the Bible. However, many of the concepts Jesus embodied (literally or not) are useful in day to day living. Reliance on God, abandonment of materialism, following where God leads, use of God-given talents to the maximum, hope in God's eventual salvation of all mankind, belief in justice and a continuance of life.

The name works for me.

CZAR

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

JWs would like to make people think that they are the only ones who use his name. This is not true. Many religions use his name, although most religions use a more familiar term in general practice.

You can call him anything you like. I find that I don't have much use for a label of any sort, since I rarely address fictional characters in everyday speech.

• rocketman
    rocketman

People here, I have noticed, still do call God by Jehovah. Some do so quite reverently (while others are irreverant) but we still generally do toss the Divine Name (or the jw facsimile thereof) around a bit.

As many posters have said, just because you might leave the organization, it doesn't mean you have to think you can't have a relationship with God. The jw organization of course would like you to believe that you can't have God unless they are in the mix, but I think that several members here still feel close to Jehovah even though they've said good-bye to Jehovah's Witnesses.

If one wants to bring the Bible into it, there's an account that this kind of reminds me of. It's when Elijah thought that all Isreal had gone bad and that he was the only one that worshiped Jehovah. Jehovah told him that there were still 7,000 in Israel that had not "bent the knee to Baal". I guess one point I get from that is that people can have God even though it's not plainly evident to others. Those 7,000 were unknown to Elijah, who I would guess must have had his finger on the pulse of what was going on in Israel, and yet, he didn't realize that others had God's favor too.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I refet to God as just God. The name "Jehovah" relates to the god of the JWs in my mind, and I consider that an insult.

• blondie
    blondie

What's wrong with "father," that is what Jesus called him. The only ones I know that call their father by his name are those who aren't very close to him.

Blondie

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

Since I've come to no conclusions that God exists at all, the jury is still out on what to call him.

If he does exist, however, I'd like to know what he calls me !!

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

An irresponsible ass----,

Nuff said !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit