Does anyone else still get Armaggeddon Nightmares!!

by Lainey 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Lainey
    Lainey

I haven't posted for a few weeks as I have been back at work busy beavering away, however as it is my day off I thought I would see if anyone else has the same trouble that I have, and also if there is anything they have found useful.

I have always had trouble eating properly and sleeping ever since my early teen years, but over the past couple of years or so (even though I know I don't believe the Watchtower teachings anymore) I have at least 3 or 4 times a week, the most vivid awful nightmares about Armaggeddon, and the different ways that Jehovah is going to destroy me because of my wickedness. I wake up in tears and shaking with fear, and then I am not able to get back to sleep, I just lie awake until the morning not daring to close my eyes.

I can't believe that as a grown woman, the Watchtower teachings keep coming back to haunt me.

Lainey

ps Can I also thank all the posters for the kind personal messages that I have received since I came here

• Aztec
    Aztec

((((Lainey))))

I haven't had a nightmare like that in years but, I used to. I still sleep very sporadically at best. Mild insomnia may be a hang over from my life as a dub. I have very little good advice but, listen to upbeat, happy music before you go to sleep. That's helped me a bit.

Take care of yourself!

~Aztec

• simwitness
    simwitness

no, but I expect one any day now!

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I've never had an "Armageddon" nightmare, but I've had trouble with sleeping in the past. I'd recommend seeing a doctor to arrange for a sleep study. There are a number of sleep disorders that can be successfully treated. It worked for me.

Walter

• Lainey
    Lainey
    Walter............. I'd recommend seeing a doctor to arrange for a sleep study

Us Medics make the worst patients LOL. I did have some bereavement counselling after my dads death in September, but I was always to embarrassed to mention the witness side to my problems.

Somehow that is a part of my life that I find difficult to talk one to one about.

Lainey

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    Somehow that is a part of my life that I find difficult to talk one to one about.

I don't talk about my previous religious life either, unless the person I'm having the conversation with is also a former witness. If asked directly by someone outside our little circle of apostates, I will comment, but very briefly. Everytime I think about it, I wonder how I could have been so stupid and that is an embarassing thought. Bug

• franklin J
    franklin J

Lainey,

I never had Armageddon nightmares; however, I think we all "react" to the change in "lifestyle thinking" in different ways. In retrospect It took me a few years before the fog lifted completely, and I had a bumpy ride; with other side effects other than nightmares. We must understand that we cannot simply walk away from such a controling lifestyle which permeated every aspect of our lives, without some kind of "attitude adjustment" period.

As you say, the current affairs that you are having to experience ( loss of loved ones) does not help. I understand, as I am going through that also at this time.

Take care of yourself; being busy with your career certainly helps.

regards, and good to see you posting again

Frank

• Redneckgurl
    Redneckgurl

Lainey,

I have had those nightmares before! When I was 18 and DF'd, I had the most horrible dreams about my parents screaming for me, being swallowed into the ground, pleading with God that I was sorry and that I did love him, etc., etc.. I was terrified that somehow I needed to get back to the meetings and approved with the God again. What made that easy for me was getting pregnant and thinking I would save my child's life.

Many years later--------I no longer go to meetings anymore because I don't think this religion is God's only approved religion, nor do I believe it is truly good for everyone. I have NO desire to go back, NO regretful feelings at all (except that I didn't do this a long time ago) and I am so happy to say that I have not had any nightmares this time. It has been over a year since I started searching into things.

The only dream that I had was last week. I dreamed that my parents took my children and were hiding them and threatening me to start going to meetings again so they wouldn't die. I couldn't find my children. That was an awful dream, but I didn't think I was going to die in my dream! A great feeling to wake up to and realize how much I have changed inside and no longer wrought with fear and guilt all the time!

Redneckgurl

• Sassy
    Sassy

I used to have those Armageddon nightmares a lot. I am not sure why since I was a JW at the time and although my dreams should have been about getting into the paradise, they were always about me hiding where there is destruction every where and not being fearful that at any moment I would be destoryed too. They were horrible. I haven't had even one of those since I left JW activities which is ironic. One would figure I'd get them more now.

• lovinlife
    lovinlife

I used to get them, but not for awhile now. I think I used to get them more when I was still in the "I hope I did the right thing by leaving" phase. But the longer I am gone, the more sure I am that I did the right thing. Maybe that is why I don't get them anymore

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit