First 3 Presidents never knew JC began his reign as King in 1914 ?

by smiddy3 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Earnest
    Earnest

smiddy3 : No such belief about a paradise earth where survivors would live.

There was a belief in a paradise earth where those who had shown kindness to or support for the believers would live. It was also reserved for those resurrected, which is (ostensibly) why Beth Sarim was built and "The Way to Paradise", 1924, Van Amburgh, was written.

• TD
    TD

Still curious about the idea that Rutherford didn't know about it, in view of the fact that the relocation of the Barbour/Russell chronology forty years forward in time was done by him

• St George of England
    St George of England

In the year 1914 God placed his anointed King upon his throne and directed him to begin his rule amongst the enemy. (Ps. 2:6; 110:2) Three and one-half years thereafter, to wit, 1918, the Lord came to his temple. At that time he presented himself to his professed people as their King and earth's rightful Governor. At that time Jesus Christ was also a tried and precious Stone. In the great battle fought in heaven between Christ Jesus and the enemy Satan, Christ Jesus was victorious, therefore tried, true and faithful, and the Conqueror. (Rev. 12:7-10) When he presented himself as King, in the complete fulfilment, those who believed and accepted him rejoiced greatly, and to them he is and ever will be "precious".

Prophesy 1929 pp 104-5 - J F Rutherford

George

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

This "Jesus Became King in 1914" is a Joke.
    So what did the king accomplish ? Eliminated Satan. ? Eliminated poverty, violence, crime ? Eliminated sickness, death ? Does he even show up to earthly people. Oh, he is invisible. That is all his accomplishment

BTW, Which presidents you are talking about ?

• St George of England
    St George of England
    BTW, Which presidents you are talking about ?

The first three presidents of the WT Society:-

• W H Conley
    • C T Russell
    • J F Rutherford

George

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I would say not many. I had an ultra dub pioneer relative tell me that the overlapping generation was old light when I started questioning him about it.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Thank you all for your response `s I`ll need to go back to the drawing board and check what I have claimed in my OP.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Certainly the first two presidents did not know that Christ returned and began ruling in 1914. I believe they went to their deaths believing Christ became present in 1874 and began ruling in 1878. Correct me on the 1878 date if not accurate.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Apparently the 3rd President Rutherford did become aware and taught Jesus began his rule in 1914 some years after becoming president.There is some evidence that Rutherford first mentioned 1914 as the beginning of christs second coming in the 1930`s.

"Jehovah`s Witnesses Proclaimers of Gods Kingdom" on pages 46 and 47 explains that in 1876 Second Adventist Nelson Barbour succeeded in convincing Charles taze Russell that Christs invisible presence began in 1874. { Apparently 1874 was first taught as the end of 6000 years of mans existence and Jesus return }

Page 133 mentions this again along with a footnote explaining that a clearer understanding of Biblical chronology pointing to 1914 was published in 1943. That footnote refers to the 1943 book "The Truth That Shall make You Free" that changed the date of Jesus return from 1874 to 1943.The Proclaimers book doesn`t mention any date prior to 1943.

Captives of a Concept Chapter 3

• St George of England
    St George of England
    There is some evidence that Rutherford first mentioned 1914 as the beginning of christs second coming in the 1930`s.

As shown in my quote from the 1929 book Prophesy (above) he knew about 1914 in the 20's at the latest. I'm sure there are earlier quotes.

Page 133 mentions this again along with a footnote explaining that a clearer understanding of Biblical chronology pointing to 1914 was published in 1943.

The change here was nothing to do with 1914. It was down to fact that they thought the destruction of Jerusalem was 606 BCE and 2520 years gave them 1914 CE. When someone pointed out their arithmetical error they changed 606 to 607. They had the answer they wanted (1914) already. This was the change in "The Truth Shall Make You Free". The previous year (1942) the publication New World had stated 606 BCE. Page 77.

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit