The Dark Tower

by Enishi 10 Replies latest social entertainment

• Enishi
    Enishi

Has anyone else read this series? It's by Stephen King, and according to him the center peice of just about everything he's ever written. Concepts from dozens of his books come into play, and the story is superb. I just bought the fifth book today, Wolves of the Calla.

• myself
    myself

Enishi, I love this series. I just purchased volumn 5 when it came out on the Nov 4th.

• Enishi
    Enishi

One aspect of this series I find particularily fascinating is how all these different worlds overlap.

• myself
    myself

the only thing I disliked is that it has taken so long for S. King to finish them, he said he had to wait for the story to come to him. You will also notice a lot of this series in some of his other books. The last two Dark Tower books will be published next year.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I just finished the third book a couple weeks ago. Fantastic. Among his best stuff.

Personally, I found the second book to be the best out of the first three.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

I just finished vol. 5 Wolves of the Calla last week. Best yet IMO.

You're right about most of his other books having some relation to the Dark Tower. Now in this one, one of the characters from an early book shows up (I won't say who or from where out of consideration for those who haven't read vol. 5 yet) and even a reference to himself and the book in question shows up.

I can't wait for them to finally reach the Dark Tower and find out who this Crimson King is.

But....

If Hollywood ever makes a movie out of the series (yeah right!) and they cast that same guy who played Flagg in "The Stand" to play Flagg in this one I'll never read another King book again!

Mike.

• myself
    myself

Mike, how did you get the book so early, they didn't release it here until Tues 11/4.? I am jealous.

• Enishi
    Enishi

I think that the third book was the best thus far, although I have yet to finish the fifth one.

What I'm wondering, is if Stephen King is going to bring in the supernatural villain IT (pennywise). There was a reference in Dreamcatcher that Pennywise might not be dead.

• patio34
    patio34

Enishi, thanks for the recommendation. My boss was just saying he's reading the latest. i'll ask him if I can borrow the earlier ones. I like King's writing, so i'm looking forward to reading them.

Pat

• gwyneth
    gwyneth

I am halfway through the third book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit