A Sad Example of Hidden Bigotry

by hawkaw 10 Replies latest jw friends

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

I would like to personally thank Marvin Shilmer for having the guts to publish the April 25, 2001 letter to all Elders in the USA from the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses on personal viewpoints.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=6063&site=3

I posted this letter with the below following comments in my office cafeteria for all including a "weak one" to see.
    My comment went

"A Sad Example of Hidden Bigotry"

The attached is a real letter from the "Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses" (a new corporation that now runs the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society's (Witnesses) Service Writing Department). This letter was a response to all Witness Elders regarding a question on what the Watch Tower Society wants and does not want individual Witnesses to say when expressing personal viewpoints about vital religious issues to persons whose intent is to record and document the findings? Note the following quote:

"If a topic is raised that is not specifically covered in the brochure, reference can be made to the Reasoning book, such as the portion on "Races of Mankind". On page 304, reference is made to Acts 10:34, 35 showing God is not partial. So Jehovah's Witnesses do not discriminate against individuals because of race, language, or social standing." (page 1, paragraph 3, sentences 3, 4 and 5)

The language used in the above quote is called an "observational selection" argument (ie. count the hits but purposely forget the misses). What is said in the above quote is true. But the Writing Department seems to have conveniently forgotten about one enormous and hurtful thing.

Remember the "Aryan Nations"? They hung with the Klu Klux Klan or "KKK". Using bible arguments, the leaders get to label African Americans as "Ni__ers" and explain how Africans are inferior to whites. The Aryan Nations calls this labeling "love" and the wishing of God to put Africans in their appropriate place. The only difference between an African and a European is the concentration of vitamin D in the skin. Thus, everyone else with a brain size of a gnat calls this practice bigotry, race bigotry.

Now lets compare the Watch Tower (Jehovah's Witnesses). Using bible arguments, the leaders label any person in good standing as an "APOSTATE" if he/she "openly" disagrees, not with God, but with the leadership's teaching. Just like how Africans are treated by the Aryan Nations, the Witness leadership considers Apostates evil, scum and the worst thing possible on the earth. These innocent people go through a disfellowshipping process, ex-communicated, "named" in front of the entire congregation and are suppose to be shunned by the entire congregation as required by the Watch Tower leaders in its April 1, 1986 Watchtower magazine (Questions to the Readers Section). Apostates lose family, friends and God. The Watch Tower calls this process love too, to keep the congregation "clean" and to help the "dissenter" see the error of his way. Everyone else with a brain size of a gnat calls this bigotry too, creed bigotry.

Some who attend this wonderful organization have explained that they, personally, do not partake in the shunning or will only shun those who are truly evil (ie. murders). Thus, they can rationalize their attendance at their weekly bible studies. This is like saying I like Africans but I still like my bible studies with my Aryan Nations friends. Showing support for and not speaking out against an organization that practices bigotry will allow the hate to flourish against innocent people whose only crime may be finding out the Watch Tower has wrongly predicted the time for the Apocalypse on at least 10 different occasions in the last 100 years.

Bigotry, may it be race, creed or whatever hurts people and wrecks families. The sad reality is that some practice or quietly support this BIGOTRY and with the proper rationalization can also sleep very well at night, too.

hawk (thanks Marvin)

• waiting
    waiting

hey hawk,

Thanks for the points.

Bigotry, may it be race, creed or whatever hurts people and wrecks families.

Big Bunch of Bigots, eh? True statement.

waiting

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Waiting,

no problemoo - It sure is interesting watching people read it who are not dubs. They just stare in amazement and then you can watch the brain go "click".

hawk (whose had enough of watching a lot of you nice folks get hurt)

• Farkel
    Farkel

Good observations, Hackaw.

I just have one correction:

: The only difference between an African and a European is the concentration of vitamin D in the skin.

I believe you meant melanin which is a blackish pigment found in the skin and hair. Darker skinned people have a greater concentration of it than fairer skinned people.

Some reason to be a racist, huh? "Hey! My pigment is less than your pigment. Therefore, you're inferior!"

But, as you pointed out, it is no more idiotic than this: "Hey! My 'spirituality' is greater than your 'spirituality!' Therefore I'm shunning you and from now on and until you meet my standards, I'm considering you to be 'dead.'"

Farkel

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Hey Farkel,

So how is the "left" coast doing?

WRT to vitamin D in African Americans

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/1998/980818.htm

I quote:

"In the study, African-American women had about half as much 25-hydroxyvitamin D-- the most sensitive measure of D status--circulating in their blood throughout the year as white women. The African-Americans also had smaller increases in circulating vitamin D during the summer. Sunlight stimulates the skin to make the vitamin, but pigmented skin makes less.

Susan Harris and Bess Dawson-Hughes at the USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts, Boston, measured indicators of bone health in 90 healthy, young women--51 African-American and 39 white. All lived in the Boston area.

The African-American women got nearly as much vitamin D and calcium from food and supplements as the white women. So intake was not a major factor in the racial difference in vitamin D levels, the researchers reported in the June issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. They suggest that women of color might benefit from increasing their vitamin D intake, particularly during the short days of winter."

Take care Farkel don't let anyone shun you.

BTW I must say I alway print off your posts.

hawk

• Farkel
    Farkel

: So how is the "left" coast doing?

We're finally getting some sunny weather! Until today, it was gloomy for almost a week.

With regards to your statement that the "only" difference between dark/light skinned people is the concentration of vitamin D; of course you know there are other differences, too, and all of them are miniscule.

Dark skinned people DO have a higher concentration of melanin, though, so that is another minor difference.

http://www.bayinsider.com/shared/health/adam/ency/article/002256.html

Farkel

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

"all of them are miniscule".

Yep well said.

Gloomy eh. Well we are under a frost warning tonight. Yikes!!!

hawk

• COMF
    COMF
    My pigment is less than your pigment. Therefore, you're inferior!

I'm afraid that's a pigment of your imagination.

COMF

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

COMF,

I'm afraid that's a pigment of your imagination.

For a lot of intellectually lazy people, it's their imagination that causes these problems.

hawk

• JT
    JT

hawk

i see you are much like i am-- i love to show NONJW wt stuff- due to not having been brainwashed with the FDS they see and smell bull$hit as soon as it is in their face

great technique and i know it works cause i use the nonjw thing all the time

great post

james

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit