Has the Bible been redacted so that YAHWEH can be promoted to EL's position as Almighty God?

by I_love_Jeff 47 Replies latest watchtower bible

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff
    For background, read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahweh, the section, "Iron Age I: El, Yahweh, and the origins of Israel." "El and his sons made up the Assembly of the Gods, each member of which had a human nation under his care, and a textual variant of Deuteronomy 32:8–9 describes the sons of El, including Yahweh, each receiving his own people."

"El, the kind, the compassionate,' 'the creator of creatures,' was the chief of the Canaanite gods, and he, not Yahweh, was the original 'God of Israel'—the word 'Israel' is based on the name El rather than Yahweh. He lived in a tent on a mountain...with the goddess Asherah as his consort." [Ibid.]

Some parts of the Bible are alluding to a certain form of heavenly government, specifically the Divine Council, comprised of EL and his angelic sons. See the footnote for the phrase, "sons of the true God": a Hebrew idiom that refers to angelic sons of God at Job 1:6.

We need to take a closer look at the history of the Bible, the Israelites, and the name "Jehovah" that has been carelessly used to cover the various names and titles of gods that are NOT all the same.
  • vienne
    vienne

I never let my students use wikipedia as a resource. It is often wrong. What makes you think it is right in this case?

• cobweb
    cobweb

There is a pretty solid scholarly consensus for this yes. Its a bit of a revelation when you learn about it.

The Early History of God by Mark S. Smith is very good if you want something more substantial on the subject.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Canaanites started off worshipping El then in time moved to Baal Hadad for he was a fertility deity. Yahweh absorbed the likenesses of both. Other groups did the same. The Assyrians worshipped Anu then switched primarily to Enlil.

There are also writtings in the Bible that can be originally attributed to Marduk. The seven tablets of the enuma elish are found in Genesis and other books of the Bible. Marduk absorbed 50 gods and thier powers , Yahweh has done much of the same. Let's not forget many of the stories in the Bible the bases for these stories can be found in the same city as they found the god EL , Ugarit.

• David_Jay
    David_Jay

You have the basic data correct. You're just missing the Jewish history regarding how this fits together. But you aren't wrong exactly as some suggest.

In short, my people, the Hebrews, are likely the people of Canaan. Yes, we're the very same people that the Tanakh (or Hebrew Scriptures) claims were conquered and overtaken by the Jews. What the Biblical narrative describes is the way our culture rewrote its history while they were captives in Babylonian exile. Without nation and without shrine or temple, the Jewish people could have simply assimilated like most cultures do that are captured. To prevent this, they took various stories, tales, narratives, and a little bit of history, and wove it into the stuff of legends. The various names of God come from this redaction while in Babylon.

"Paul Revere's Ride" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (most often referred to as The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere) is of the same type of genre. Longfellow's famous poem is read in America as history, with Revere seen as the hero who warned the colonists: "The British are coming! The British are coming!" In reality, Revere was not the hero of this historic event. The events described by Longfellow were accomplished by a group of colonists, among whom Revere was merely included. Paul Revere, however, did not accomplish what the famous story states. Revere was captured by the British before he could warn anyone, and thus he never turned out to be the hero the poem details. The actual person who warned of the British invasion was Samuel Prescott, not Paul Revere.

However, Longfellow's poetic license made the historical event easy to remember and be taught to school children. It also encompases the lessons of values treasured by the newborn nation and its hopes for its own future. He wasn't interested in teaching history as much as passing on the values of America to future generations. The story in the Hebrew Bible is the same type of narrative.

When the exiled Jews living in Babylon turned their history into legend like Longfellow, they used the various names of their concept of "God" that had been adopted through the ages. The people of the Fertile Crescent that came to be known as Canaanites were likely among the people who migrated to Egypt when it was ruled by the Hyksos, a foreign power. When the Egyptians regained control they attempted to make slaves of the various peoples who had moved into their land. These migrants escaped and returned home, for some this meant the Fertile Crescent or land of Canaan. When the Davidic dynasty took control centuries later, it made the worship of the one God YHVH the state religion (or at least attempted to). Eventually the kingdom of Judah got swallowed by intrigue with the Babylonians that led to their exile. At each of these various points, the concept of the Hebrew God was different as were the names applied to God.

In other words the differing "names" of the Jewish God-concept in the Scriptures are those that were picked up by the Hebrews along the way during the march of history. "El" was the name of the deities of Canaan, for example. "YHVH" was the name of the deity worshipped by the Midianites or Sinai people the Hebrews met as they left Egypt. And so forth, and so on. The various names and titles you read in the Scriptures come from these different eras, and you can often trace how old a story is in Scripture by what name they use for God.

This is what led to the creation of the Document Hypothesis, the idea that the Torah is a patchwork of redactors. These different names for God and the different ways the name of God and the concept of God is handled throughout the Torah, for instance, helps one decipher when the portion or narrative originates in history. This has helped not just scholars but the Jews themselves understand how to apply the laws of Torah, whether something was literal or whether something was merely allegorical.

So what you are seeing is not a careless cover-up but earmarks of the origins of stories that were woven together into what we now have. It also shows something different about how Jews see God than what you might be familiar with. Unlike what Christians believe, Jews didn't just suddenly come to worship YHVH in one, sudden swoop of heavenly revelation. It took generations, many, many centuries for the monotheism of Judaism to develop. A lot of the practices and concepts of the theology comes from the paganism of the earliest days of my people. All of these details were given a new meaning once the theology had evolved into what it was when the Jews were in Babylon. They shoved it all together while in Babylon and began creating what you know today as "The Bible."

Contrary to the Christian concept, the Jews don't see their view of God as one that has ever been static. As the "children of Israel" (Israel meaning "one who wrestles with God"), the Jews have wrestled with their God-concept over their own history. It has evolved as they as a people have evolved. In contrast, Christians see the revelation of God as something static and unchanging. The idea that celebrations like the Passover and the various names of God having pagan origins is unacceptable to them, but we Jews have always known our own roots.

And the Jewish concepts about God have evolved even further in Judaism. For instance, today most Jews acknowledge God as undeniably real but at the same time they don't "believe" in God. While this may seem impossible from the narrow static view of Christianity, it just demonstrates how the ideas you are talking about are somewhat passé in the culture that produced the Bible. We have moved on, preserving and learning from our past, but using this to evolve into the future. Christians, on the other hand, stare at the past and try to nail the present to fit into that mold.

It is this Christian view that has caused you to be surprised by this information. If you had asked a Jew years ago in the first place, you would never have found any of this data as surprising or challenging.

• David_Jay
    David_Jay

Someone has just asked me a question privately that has to do with the above. I have their permission to discuss what was generally covered as it is important to add.

So are you saying that the Jewish concept of God is merely the worship of pagan deities that has evolved into the Yahweh of the Bible?

No. This is an evolution we are describing, and just like in biological evolution we have the pattern of "survival of the fittest," it is the same thing here.

We are talking about competing concepts: the monotheism which is ascribed to Abraham vs. the religion of the peoples of the Fertile Crescent. The monotheism won out, especially when the Davidic dynasty attempted to enforce it by law. When the Babylonian exile occurred, this convinced the Jews it was because they were not faithful to the monotheistic concept.

Like nations that conquered lands and rededicated their temples to those gods worshiped by the victors, the Hebrew God took the names of the gods it "conquered." The monotheistic God of Abraham existed side by side with the Canaanite El, but the God of Abraham won the evolutionary battle of theology and took the name of El as "booty."

This helps to explain the meaning behind the narratives of the Hebrews being a conquering army that overtook Canaan after having been nothing but slaves upon leaving Egypt. In reality they just merged with the people in the Fertile Crescent, but their way of worship eventually overtook Canaan, and the Canaanites assimilated or "were destroyed" as if by battle. Get it?

The Jews, while in Babylon, recalled this lesson and used it to preserve themselves by composing the foundation of the Bible as we know today. It was the way to cement their own culture and keep the Jews separate as a people until they could return to their land. In turn, that was another way that YHVH conquered the gods of Babylon, so to speak.

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

David-Jay

Looks like a group of assholes have taken over from where your people left off and, subsequently, even the mainstream Christians have begun leaving off.They are seven in number whose moronic ideas are followed by another 8 million or so. And these seven are still spinning the story to suit their agenda. This could easily be the longest running hoax on mankind . About six or seven or more millennia. The greatest con game ever foisted on man. And seven charlatans, who no government seems interested in convicting, are laughing all the way to the bank.

• David_Jay
    David_Jay

Hairtrigger,

Your comment reminds me of the time when two missionaries from a strange cult (that believes God has a wife and that we need to worship this mother as our God) came to my door not too long ago. It was a man and wife who looked like Jehovah's Witnesses' poor cousin.

They told me of this concept of "Mother God" and immediately opened a Bible to Genesis where God says: "Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness." They explained: "See, God is speaking to Mother God."

I then explained how this reads in Hebrew and even said the verse in Hebrew, explaining that this is not what the text implies.

The man was taken aback, but the woman frowned, leaned in closer to me and cursed me, adding: "You Jews! What do you people know about the Bible?"

She cursed me again and they left.

• cobweb
    cobweb

David Jay

That is a fantastic & clear summary & matches everything i have read.

Could you explain something to me though on a personal level. When you are able to trace the evolution of the God of Israel - from its assimilation and blending of other ancient God's - seeing that God as essentially a man made construction, - is it still despite knowing this, the biblical God that you believe in or is it something different? If it is a different more evolved understanding of God, from where does this belief come from or is it that for you the spiritual belief is not bound by authoritative texts but is more about your own internal experience? If it is an internal experience then how does it connect to a shared understanding of what it to be Hebrew? Is it more about the shared sense of national identity than specific ideas about God?

I think for many Christians, if they were to deeply study the information you have outlined it, it would be the cause of them abandoning their belief. But for you it seems not to be the case.

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

David _Jay

Exactly the idea propounded by the leaders of this cult. They curse us too. Death at Armageddon to all apostates. The woman's cussing and words are reflected in the shunning scheme emblazoned, nay,seared into the mindset of the rank and file.

Thanks for all the info. You provide on the forum.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit