Aethiest

by midnight 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

midnight, this is a genuine question; are you a baptised Jehovah’s Witness or the husband of a JW sister? It isn't clear to me.

• midnight
    midnight

I'm a baptised Jehovah's witness who is married to a baptised witness we have "drifted " a little irregular etc but my wife is mentally in and wanting to become more "zealous" have friends over but I just don't believe anymore I've told her this but it's just like talking to a brick wall otherwise we have a good marriage

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Okay, thanks. So what are you trying to achieve by announcing your atheism? Your wife will be struggling to take in your abandoning of 'The Truth', let that be enough for her for now.

Lots of us learned that the hard way. Make an effort to show her you care, have fun and don't discuss what you're finding out, as frustrating as that will be.

When she's ready, you'll know.

• schnell
    schnell

I can corroborate that. My wife is not an atheist, but a nurturer who doesn't want to lose her family. She'll listen about some things, but there is a line. I'll gently touch that line sometimes, but not too often, and always with affection. Never just crash into it or expect her to believe everything you've said or thought or read.

Gradual, gradual, be ever so gradual.

• midnight
    midnight

Thanks for the advice seems the best route is easy easy ,I will drop the aethiesm thing and wind back a bit

• anointed1
    anointed1

If you are extremely friendly with elders (or any religious leaders for that matter), they will tell you that in principle most people are atheists because when devotees engage in worship, they aim for material blessings from God (in other words, they say “we want this, that …which is in effect materialism—material pleasure and material security).

If you are objective you will know that even materialists are part of a design (God’s gift to humanity) because if they were not there the whole world would have been reeled under the iron hand of religious leaders who can turn into bigots in no time.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    midnight
    I'm a baptised Jehovah's witness who is married to a baptised witness we have "drifted " a little irregular etc but my wife is mentally in and wanting to become more "zealous" have friends over but I just don't believe anymore I've told her this but it's just like talking to a brick wall otherwise we have a good marriage

If you say that you're an atheist then you'll get booted out for apostacy(tm). Best to keep schtumn and fade away if you can. Jobos don't admit it, but they are fundies. Fundies are dangerous.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Midnight - whereabouts are you? You sound like you are in a very similar position to me.

My advice would be to keep your own counsel as far as possible with as many people as possible. The person you have to consider the most beside yourself is your wife and only you know how much of your personal integrity you wish to compromise in order to keep your marriage secure. By that I simply mean I am in the same boat and I know first hand that not everyone can make high impact statements regardless of the consequences.

Beyond your wife and immediate family however my recommendation is to say as little as possible. Anything you do say can be used against you. The less you say means the less they have to process and determine what it means for how they want their relationship with you to develop, For many a "don't ask, don't tell" policy means they can mentally salve their their conscience about contact and keep you out of the "apostate" category.

If you openly admit to being an atheist then at best you are giving people the green light to treat you like a DF'ed person. At worst you are alerting the elder squad to your situation and inviting investigation and malicious judicial treatment. If that doesn't bother you then fair play but if you are looking to keep the peace then the only real option is to keep shtum and avoid controversy where possible.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Midnight asked, "What happens if you openly declare you are an aethiest...?"

You learn how to spell the word correctly.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Midnight ,your married your the head of the house ,take charge ,you dont owe anything to anybody no power to Elders , unless you give it to them , you dont owe them anthing .

Dont meet with them ,you and Jah will work it out in your own time.

How strong are you or how weak are you.?

Its your call.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit