C's get degrees or????

by Stacy Smith 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

I've always obsessed about good grades. I had straight A's in high school and through junior college. Now that I'm a junnior I'm struggling to do that. I have one subject in particular that I really have trouble with. I'm passing with a high C in it but I want an A. The professor in this class has told me to not sweat it and used the expression C's get degrees and to enjoy college.

I know my future employer won't care what my grades were but it's a personal goal of mine.

Do you think I'm nuts for worrying about grades? Should I just go purchase a beer bong and have run like my roomies?

Well this isn't the biggest problem facing the world I know but it frustrates me. I guess I'm anal.

• Badger
    Badger

Stacy:

Is the class a general or one of your majors? I got C's in my math and science, but my majors were History and Edcuation...

All you can do is your best, sis...

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I know my future employer won't care what my grades were but it's a personal goal of mine. Stacy -- you go girl -- nothing like setting yourself goals and standards - it is always usually good to strive for goals and standards -- aim for As -- if you aim low you will hit low not much chance of hitting high -- aim high and there is a chance for high - and if it goes a little low --so what?

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

It's one of my general classes, a physics class actually. I have no idea why I signed up for it other than for a challenge. My majors are business and management and I've done well there.

I'll get the help I need to raise the grade.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I started out college obsessing over my grades. I managed to get up to a 3.88 GPA by the end of my sophomore year. Then, some things happened,and I stopped caring. I actually got a couple of D's in my senior year! I don't think either extreme is healthy.

I say... by all means, set goals for yourself, and try to meet them. But don't kill yourself over them. There are inevitably going to be some subjects where you're not as strong. If the time or effort you would have to put into the course to get an A would start interfering with other things in your life (and you certainly do need some time to have fun)... then try and adjust your expectations accordingly.

Good luck, in any case!

• exjwgirl25
    exjwgirl25

I think you should purchase a beer bong and care alot about your grades. Stacy, take life seriously but don't forget to have fun along the way. It's all about balance. Sheesh I'm starting to sound like my old book study conductor. eeeeewwwwwwwww!!!!!

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

BTW, the one area where your grades definitely do matter is if you intend to apply to graduate school. When I was going to college, I thought that I wouldn't be going to grad school, because I'd be pioneering. That's pretty much why I slacked off my last two years. I still graduated with a 3.5, but that's low enough to disqualify me for all the best grad schools.

• gambit
    gambit

JW perfectionism / "never quite good enough" at it's best...

• mustang
    mustang

"C's get degrees or????"

That's a good way of putting it.

I think of it as UNDERSTAND THE SUBJECT FIRST AND LET THE GRADES FOLLOW.

The work I DON'T HAVE TO PUT IN to upgrade a C to an A (as opposed to a B-) allows me to study and understand yet another subject.

Degree-less-me is constantly being asked how things work by GRADE OBSESSED DEGREE HOLDERS. Grades for the sake of grades is a sucker trap.

Anecdotally, a person I know has TWO degrees and top grades ALL THE WAY. I constantly have to explain things to her and bail her out. In fact, she hired me to run her department. I survived the lay-offs and she didn't.

I repeat: UNDERSTAND THE SUBJECT FIRST AND LET THE GRADES FOLLOW. It makes life simpler and you can accomplish more. OTOH, if you are fixated on grades, "knock yourself out" is about all I can say.

Second thought: check your self out for something like the Obsessive-Compulsive syndromes.

Best wishes for success, in whatever manner.

Mustang

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Okay, I assume that mustang is joking... but just for the record... personality types differ. Some of us are more laid back, some of us prefer clear measurably results. That does not make one obsessive-compulsive... it's simply personality differences.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit