Doc! Jwbot! Blaid! Badger! Check This Out!!!

by sens 22 Replies latest jw friends

• sens
    sens

lmao @ this......omg!!!!!! from think geek...

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

LOL

Y'all need help. Serious, professional help.

Lisa

• sens
    sens
    Y'all need help. Serious, professional help.

lmao

• jwbot
    jwbot

That looks like a really nice set-up! (minus the mac - haha).
    I would really like a setup like that, I need to get more ergonomically correct here...
    I should take a picture of my "computer room", you might find it quite funny...although it does not compare to my brothers "where computers go to die" closet!

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I like this one from Honeywell:

H316 - Kitchen computer

And now something for the ladies...

Torin Darkflight kindly sent us following information and picture about this rather weird machine.

This odd-looking and almost laughable computer was released by Honeywell under the official name H316 Pedestal Model, but was featured on the cover of a Nieman-Marcus catalog under its more commonly-known name, the "Kitchen Computer".
    The Kitchen Computer is most likely where the classic recipe storage cliché originated, as this was the primary use advertised for the Kitchen Computer. In fact, storing recipes was about all the Kitchen Computer was capable of doing. The recipes were programmed into the computer and it would store them for you. In other words, it was an electronic recipe storage box, nothing more.

Supposedly it was quite a chore to program recipes into the Kitchen Computer, mainly because it took about two weeks to learn how to program the thing. However, the Kitchen Computer was shipped with some recipes already programmed into it. Could this be the iMac of it's time? From box to dinner in only 10 minutes? I doubt it, but we can imagine the pre-programmed recipes were included so anyone who purchased the Kitchen Computer could begin using it right away rather than having to suffer through learning how to program it first.

When one thinks of computer hardware, they often think of a monitor or a keyboard or a printer. Well, the Kitchen Computer has perhaps the oddest piece of "hardware" I have ever heard of -- a cutting board. Yes, a cutting board! This oddity was most likely added so the food could be prepared right there without having to walk away from the recipe display, considering the Kitchen Computer isn't as portable as a good old-fashioned cookbook (It weighed a staggering 150 pounds).

Other specifications for this system include 4KB magnetic core memory (Expandable to 16KB) and a system clock speed of 2.5MHz. I was not able to find any information about the display, but I imagine it has to be some kind of text display (Who'd want to read recipes using LEDs and binary code?). I also could not find any information about the CPU, or whatever the 60s version of a CPU was. This system is so obscure I had a quite difficult time finding detailed specifications for it. Supposedly the H316/Kitchen Computer is based on the DDP-516 (Also made by Honeywell), so perhaps some of the specifications are similar. However I couldn't find any way to verify that.

The Kitchen Computer was obviously geared towards housewives who loved to cook. However any housewives who wanted one of these had to shell out A LOT of green, considering the Kitchen Computer sold for $10,600 when it was first introduced (You could buy about four new cars for that much money in 1965!). This price tag included the built-in recipes mentioned earlier, and also included a cookbook and an apron (Oh boy do I hear the laughter now).

Not much more I can say about the Kitchen Computer. But one things for sure: regardless of how much of a computer geek I consider myself, I'd rather use a good old-fashioned cookbook.

Michael Amici adds:
    Apparently the unit utilized a programing language called BACK (a two week course was offered to the buyer) and made use of a teletype printer.

NAME H316 - Kitchen computer
    MANUFACTURER Honeywell
    TYPE Home Computer
    ORIGIN U.S.A.
    YEAR 1965
    BUILT IN LANGUAGE Recipes were programmed into it, but language/software is unknown
    KEYBOARD Small array of buttons and switches
    CPU Unknown
    SPEED 2.5 MHz
    RAM 4 KB magnetic core, expandable to 16 KB
    ROM Unknown
    TEXT MODES Unknown, probably some kind of text display
    SIZE / WEIGHT 150 pounds
    BUILT IN MEDIA Magnetic core memory
    POWER SUPPLY 475W at 125vAC
    PERIPHERALS Unless you count the cutting board...unknown
    PRICE $10,600

• sens
    sens

lmao...not long ago i seen one that had pedals and a small motor so you could move around the house im still trying to find it...the pic that is...

• Badger
    Badger

OMG...ROTFLMAO...

The sad part is, I really know that I could use one...

Drink cup and wastebasket, and you could forget about me for hours at a time...

Oh CHRIST am I pathetic....

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I like the first one - put some wheels on the front and something to steer with and I'll be ready to go

• mustang
    mustang

needs a microwave & fridge...

Mustang

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Hmmm a wife with some serious concerns about her husband

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit