Is this really a practical way to live?

by flower 11 Replies latest jw friends

• flower
    flower

I got one of those emails today.. You know those emails that are so profound and deep and are meant to stir your emotions. The kind that say you should send it to 10 of your closest friends and if they send it back to you you are...... like, superfriend or something.

Anyway this particular one was about how quickly life passes by and how we are so caught up in lifes struggles that a lot of times we dont stop to enjoy it. Its overall message was that one should live each moment as if it were our last. Enjoy each day, be happy, dont worry about how fat you look in that dress or how you need a new couch before you can have people. Eat that ice cream cone even if its going to make you unhealthy and fat. Carpe Diem! They asked a couple of questions in it also...

If you were going to die soon and had only one phone call you could make, who would you call and what would you say?

And why are you waiting?

My question is, do you think its practical to throw caution to the wind and "Carpe Diem"? I know how I would answer the first question above but I dont know about the second.

How about you?

• talesin
    talesin
    My question is, do you think its practical to throw caution to the wind and "Carpe Diem"

Such a great question.

Is it going to hurt others senselessly? My first question. If not, go for it!!!!

Enjoy life.

tal

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    we are so caught up in lifes struggles that a lot of times we dont stop to enjoy it. Its overall message was that one should live each moment as if it were our last. Enjoy each day, be happy

Life is a struggle. Sometimes there isn't a whole lot to stop and enjoy. "Live each moment as if it were our last" - kinda silly and trite. Next time I'm taking a sh*t, I'll do it with a zest and wonderment and feel awed at my oneness with the toilet.

Dan, born-again existentialist

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Whether you live like that or not does not really matter because when ya gotta go, ya gotta go.

*ACK*

• flower
    flower

Well when you gotta go you gotta go is true but doesnt it make a difference how you lived before you went? I tend to think it does.

I recently found out that a former employer of mine's teenage son, who I remember when he was born, died on impact in a skiing accident about 6 months ago. Now granted the kids parents had money and money brings about opportunities that arent available to others, but reading about this kid I realized that he had experienced more in his short life than I have at twice his age and he enjoyed every minute of it. He did things that were enjoyable and ultimately died enjoying life. I've always wanted to go skiing..but I'm too scared so I never have.

Is life meant to be enjoyed or just lived?

does someone who lives carefully and safely for 80 years have the advantage or someone who lived each moment to the full and took risks but died at 40?

Just makes me think ...

• willyloman
    willyloman
    does someone who lives carefully and safely for 80 years have the advantage or someone who lived each moment to the full and took risks but died at 40?

Flower: It's the latter, and I'm old enough to know.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I would rather enjoy life and die young - rather than live a long life and not enjoy it to the full -- hence why I am on the slow fade from the witnesses

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

i tend not to buy into that "live every moment like it's your last" nonsense. that is fun for about, oh, five minutes. then it's just exhausting, and kind of pointless.

my two cents: do what makes you happy, find what gives you the greatest amount of freedom and pursue it. we're all on the same boat heading down the river towards our dying day. mill around on whatever part of the boat you want, because no matter *what* you do, the final destination is the same for everyone. i'm just bitter that i can't jump ship ;)

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Send this to 10 people, and make them fat too!

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

If I was gonna die and had only one last phone call to make: it'd be to my husband. Only because I'd trust him to carry out my wishes. I'd tell him to email Simon and tell him I was dying, and post my obit, and details to ya'll. I only know that my husband has been left instructions that my grave marker is to be left EMPTY, and there will be SOMEONE, a silent lamb, or lambs, that will want to carve a lamb on my headstone. That is to be left up to THEM. If they want to carve lots of lambs, that is up to them. I only want silent lambs to carve on my grave. No others. I wish my grave to be a marker for silent lambs. The fact that there will be not a name on my gravestone will attest to the fact that I am a SILENT lamb. The carvings will attest to the fact that there are many of us, a testament to the future, and a reproval of the past.

CG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit