BBC Documentary: Apocalypse Now And Then

by sonofapreacherman 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sonofapreacherman
    sonofapreacherman

Did anyone else see this show last night? It was on the more obscure BBC4 (available in the UK on satellite or cable).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/listings/programme.shtml?day=yesterday&filename=20031029/20031029_2200_4544_28579_40

The programme looked at recent media preoccupation with the end of the world (asteroid collisions, global warming, etc.).

It started with the increase in the JW preaching work in the late 1960s, with a view to 1975. The archival footage was taken from a 1969 World in Action (or Panorama?) feature. Interestingly, the reporter said that the Watchtower had invited them to produce the report so that they might help spread the word.

The 1969 report included an exuberant dub explaining the rationale behind 1914 and 1975. It also included a woman who had taken her children away from her JW husband for fear of their brainwashing.

This original report within the documentary clearly shows the fervour leading up to 1975 -- out of the "horses' mouths" of active members at the time -- and thus should be required for anyone who now doubts the impact this belief had on all Witnesses.

This programme, part of BBC4's Time Shift series, will be repeated on Saturday 1 Nov at 23:40.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

wow - I wish I was in Britain to see this -is it possible for some of our British friends to record on DVD -Digitize and then download -- that would be good

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Quick! Somebody get a tape of that!

• kj
    kj

I would LOVE to see that! It would be cool if someone could record it and make it available.

kj

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Thanks for the 'heads up' on this sonofapreacherman.

I was 11 in '75 and remember all the fuss and excitement but my younger brother and sisters don't and, of course, no-one ever volunteers a true account of the late 60's early 70's sense of anticipation, expectation and hope.

Looking forward to the show - hope the BBC eventually put it on one of their mainstream channels.

Nic'

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Yes if someone can get a manuscrpt or tape that would be great. For so many years after 1975 we were told it was all in our heads and to now have proofs that is was all lie's by the WT. I know it was not in our heads as I lived through the BS.

Will

• sonofapreacherman
    sonofapreacherman

Those of us able to view it are blessed.

Alas, BBC Four say that they are "not normally" able to provide copies or transcripts of new productions. BBC4 is a newish digital broadcasting service with tighter budgets and smaller audiences than the other mainstream BBC channels. Unfortunately, I am not set up to record digital channels.

The JW part formed only the first few minutes of this hour-long documentary, but I think the more interesting thing would be to get the original, full-length, 1969 report that this part was taken from. I will make a request for video and transcripts of that old broadcast after I watch the repeat more closely on Saturday. I was taken by surprise on first viewing and missed a lot of the detail.

Nic' - I am in the same boat with my younger cousins (now elders), one of whom was completely unaware of the whole '75 thing. It is frustrating to try to tell them what really went on when they won't give any credence to my demon-influenced opinions anyway.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I was an adult when the Society indicated that 1975 was the likely date for the beginning of the thousand-year reign. I remember the circuit overseer made the statement on two consecutive visits that, "The Society was not wrong about 1914, and it will not be wrong about 1975." I sat through two Watchtower studies that went deep into the chronology supporting the date, one entitled, "Why are you looking forward to 1975?" Some would argue that they didn't say unequivocably that 1975 was when Armageddon was going to occur, then my question is, why did they always keep talking about it? In fact, some of were of the opinion that it might be 1974.

I also remember that after 1975 (can't remember the year) the Kingdom Ministry had us placing older publications. One of the publications that we were to place was the one from about 1966, "Then is Finished the Mystery of God" (I think that was the name), where they first suggested that it would seem logical that 1975 would be the year. Can you imagine offering that publication after the year had already passed?

I remember, since there were other choices, that I opted for another publication.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Step into that telephone booth Jourles; this sound like a job for Dirtclodman!

• anglise
    anglise

Thanks for the info on this sonofapreacherman

Here is the BBC page

I shall try and video it on Sat evening

Anglise

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit