Classmate asks a question, so help me out guys!

by Odrade 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis

One thing to do is use the KISS priciple. Simple things like mentioning no blood, no holidays, no voting, no patriotism, no religious icons. You don't have to go into great detail, just show how different they are. Also the doctrinal issues are far less important than the impact on people's lives, which should be the main thing you get your friend to understand.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Odrade
    Odrade

Thanks guys, she does know (I think) about all the no holiday stuff, but I needed ideas about how conversion of this man's (now dead) wife nearly ruined the marriage. As I understand it, he is pretty gunshy of anything remotely religious. She just wants to know how JW teachings ruined the relationship. Thanks for the ideas! I've really never thought of it from quite this perspective before, and was having trouble getting started.

BTW, she is in NO danger of taking up with the JWs herself, so I'm not trying to dissuade her in any way. That part is already done.

Odrade

• Valis
    Valis

Well, the treatment of women by JWs in general is enough to ruin a marriage. head of the household and all that crap...being in subjection, not having any say in the spiritual path of their shared lives, and generally being treated like second class citizens should do it. Don't forget to mention the rag on the head thing...whenever I tell women that is pisses them off to no end...*LOL* Also when things go wrong the standard counsel from JW elders will be "try to be a better wife and listen more to your husband"...eh..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• VM44
    VM44

Randy has a page of books at his freeminds site. --VM44

What Are The Best Materials To Get On Jehovah's Witnesses?

http://www.freeminds.org/sales/bestbooks.htm

• dmouse
    dmouse
    why not look at what the WTS says about a marriage between a JW and a non-JW and how it affects their closeness and how the JW spouse puts the WTS ahead of the non-JW spouse.

How the wife views the husband as an adversary rather than a partner.

How the wife will interfere with the medical treatment of any children, in the area of blood.

How the wife will be encouraged to convert the husband. How the wife will teach the children in spite of his directions not to. How the children will try to convert the husband. If the husband doesn't respond, then he will be viewed as an opposer and ignored and the wife will be sympathized with.

How the wife will be closer to the people at the KH than her spouse.

That's very true blondie, that's what it's like in reality BUT...has the WBTS ever WRITTEN anything that can be used to show this?

If anyone knows where I can find this information in a condensed form (I haven't got the time or patience to trawl through thousands of WT articles on marriage) I would be very grateful.

It would be a very useful resource for non-JWs going through a split or divorce as a result of the JW religion.

Thanks, Dean.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

One thing I try to get across to people who have had no direct experience with this organization is the "Armageddon Armageddon Armageddon" aspect of it, how the end has been right around the corner for over 100 years now, the failed prophecies, and yet they continue their banging the end-of-the-world drum. How JW's view this world as a big mistake all due to Adam's transgression, that this life is only pain and misery and the only worthwhile activity is to be a JW so that you can hope to survive the apocalypse while the rest of the Satanic world is destroyed.

The shunning is another aspect I try to make sure they understand, how cruel it is. Also the exhausting treadmill always with pressure to do more, do more do more, and the endless repetition in the publication of key words and phrases, such as faithful slave and organization.

• blondie
    blondie

dmouse, unfortunately, my source is having lived it as a child in a "religiously divided household" as the WTS puts it. The WTS says one thing but there is the unwritten rule that really applies.

Blondie (how to develop ESP...live in a household run by the unwritten rule)

• Odrade
    Odrade

Dan, thanks! There were several really good ideas in this thread, but this one resonates. Neither the classmate I'm talking to, nor her boyfriend have any respect or interest in the JWs, but my classmate wants to understand in what way the former wife's conversion ruined the relationship. I think those points are exactly what I'm looking for.

Obvious ones yes, but sometimes there are sooooo many obvious points, that weeding through all the wrongheaded JW ideas to make a clear picture is really hard.

Thanks again everyone, will let you know how it goes.

Odrade

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit