Stronger or weaker

by Paradise Found 26 Replies latest jw friends

• shotgun
    shotgun

First I thought your thread maybe about coffee...

The borg experience has weakened my belief in God if not crushed it. I certainly don't believe the bible is Gods words or was directed by him but I still struggle with accepting the universe, earth ...etc did not have a creator. Maybe it was Q who created us. Last night I said a heartfelt personal prayer to help me free my family, to make me better, stronger, wiser. God nor Q gave me an answer and today I have a sore throat, maybe God is dyslexic and we got our wires crossed last night or maybe the message was a solitary conversation between my reality and my dreams.

Shotgun

• CruithneLaLuna
    CruithneLaLuna

It all depends on how you conceive of God, or put another way, what you choose to worship. I don't believe in the JWist version of God, at all.

In one of her books, Starhawk writes about people in more conventional religions asking Wiccans (rather incredulously, perhaps) if they actually believe in the Goddess. Her response is, "Do you believe in rocks?" The point being that people experience rocks, and work with them; they are a part of everyday existence. In the same way, the Wiccan view of Diety as manifest in nature makes all of life and the envirnment sacred, and the Goddess as literally and completely real as rocks, plants, animals, land, sea, and sky, the Grand Canyon, beautiful sunsets, and the Aurora Borealis. Although I am not (quite) Wiccan, this view appeals to me.

Another book that for me embodied a great deal of spiritual wisdom counsels, "Believe nothing; entertain possibilities." This speaks to me of "acting as if" Spirit is real; giving thanks to Something greater than oneself for the blessings and opportunities that life offers, and seeking intimacy, a loving working relationship, with That which confers those blessings and opportunities. I think there are many ways to view Diety, all or most having some value and some measure of "reality," and all failing in some measure to comprehend fully the objective reality, whatever that is.

I'm not an atheist, or an agnostic. I have faith in Something, simply because humans have this innate need for spirituality and to worship and seek a relationship with a higher Power or Powers. Diety is if nothing else the externalized expression of that need, and I don't have a problem with that, or see it as unhealthy.

Cruithne

• Swan
    Swan

I strongly believe that there is no God.

Tammy

• larc
    larc

Swan, I agree with you. I have no belief in God, but I do believe in Swans. I also believe in Tammys. (Can I pray to both Swan and Tammy, if you don't mind?)

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I'd say my beliefs are stronger, because previously they were based on the interpretations of ancient experiences of other people.

I now view of Deity as manifest within all of nature, which means that Deity is personally accessible to the viewer. My beliefs are based on observable evidence which I can see anytime, anywhere, and on my own personal experiences, which I can repeat as many times as desired. Although my beliefs are much different from before, they have, to me, a vastly better foundation, and are therefore stronger.

gaiagirl

• gaiagirl
  • Gopher
    Gopher

When you're a JW, you MUST declare your belief in God, or you're not in the group.

As to whether each of us as JW's internalized that belief, that's open to debate. How many felt a REAL relationship with "Jehovah"? How hard is that, to have a relationship with someone who is portrayed as alternately cruel and loving, yet you MUST love him? To build a relationship with a God who will get around to straightening this world around at some future date, but allows injustice and suffering to permeate the society of mankind whom he supposedly loves? To respect a God who, you are told, needs your constant devotion and praise, and who can be "hurt" by your actions even though we are flawed and it's not our fault?

The contradictions and complications to a faith or belief in the Bible-God are there, whether you are in a "faith group" or not. So I'd say I still have the same struggles as when I was a JW, but now I can be more open about it.

So as an earlier poster said, I will try to make the best of my life now, and worry about an afterlife if / when such a thing happens. I will work hard and be kind and helpful to family and neighbors, and if God even cares to notice he just might appreciate what I tried to do. Religious affiliation doesn't matter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit