Kids, reading, and TV

by Phantom Stranger 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Recently there was a thread (I have searched and searched and failed to locate it) which discussed if JW kids were smarter, better readers, more likely to graduate HS, etc., than the population. There was a great deal of discussion about reading. The story below seems to have some bearing on that discussion - my apologies for not including the link. Study Links TV Habits to Reading Trouble

Tue Oct 28, 3:45 PM ET

By SIOBHAN McDONOUGH, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Children who live in homes where the television is on most of the time may have more trouble learning to read than other kids, a study says.

AP Photo
    Related Links
    ?Children & Electronic Media (Kaiser Family Foundation)

Tuesday's report, based on a survey of parents, also found that kids 6 months to 6 years spend about two hours a day watching television, playing video games or using computers. That's roughly the same amount of time they spend playing outdoors and three times as long as they spend reading or being read to.

The study, by the Kaiser Family Foundation and Children's Digital Media Centers, found about one-third of children 6 and younger have TVs in their rooms and a similar proportion live in homes where a television is on most or all the time. In those "heavy TV households," 34 percent of children ages 4 to 6 can read, compared with 56 percent in homes where the TV is on less often.

"Watching TV is far inferior to playing with toys, being read to or playing with adults or talking with parents," said Dr. Henry Shapiro, chairman of developmental and behavior pediatrics at the American Academy of Pediatrics. "Watching TV without a parent is a junk experience, especially for young children."

The report found that 27 percent of 4-to-6-year-olds use a computer each day, spending an average of one hour at the keyboard.

Among kids in that age group, the report said half have played video games and one-quarter play several times a week or more. In a typical day, 24 percent of boys played video games compared with 8 percent of girls.

"These kids will have a great advantage in terms of how media can aide their learning, but parents must understand the pitfalls," survey researcher Victoria Rideout said.

Despite the heavy media exposure, the report found that reading continues to be a regular part of many children's lives. Almost 80 percent of those 6 and under read or are read to every day. Still, the report said, children spend only 49 minutes on average with books per day compared with 2 hours and 22 minutes in front of a TV or computer screen.

The report found parents have a largely positive view about TV and computers ? 72 percent say computers mostly help in children's learning and 43 percent felt that way about television. Twenty-seven percent said TV mostly hurts kids' learning and 21 percent said it doesn't have much effect one way or another.

Shapiro said it isn't all bad that many kids are sitting in front of TVs, computers and video games.

"Kids are home, safe, they are learning things," he said. "This is just part of the process over history of using the new medium and this is giving kids a chance to be competitive in the world."

But, he said, there is a downside ? so much time in front of TVs can cause kids to become fat, eat junk foods and not get enough sleep or adult interaction.

"It all boils down to the involvement of parents as leaders and mentors and encouragers of their children's personal growth and learning," Shapiro said. "To the extent that children are being minded by machines is not a good thing, but children playing with technology is no different than the latest technology being crayons. It's just the latest technology."

The report is based on results of a national, random telephone survey of 1,065 parents of children ages 6 months to 6 years conducted from April to June. The margin of error is plus or minus 3 percentage points.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here is another article along the same lines.

http://www.speechgoals.org/television,_computers_and_brain_development.htm

The Watchtower may be READING, but not the kind that would most benefit a developing mind. Imaginitive play and make-believe are equally important.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Are you saying learning JW doctrine doesn't involve "make-believe"? I say it stretches the imagination quite a bit... oh, wait, that's credulity that gets stretched.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Creativity. Suppressed. I know. I kinda let loose when I got here. Tell me, can a JW kid make up stories about Jehovah?

• joannadandy
    joannadandy
    "It all boils down to the involvement of parents as leaders and mentors and encouragers of their children's personal growth and learning,"

Ding ding ding ding ding!

Of late we have become a society of non-readers. I actually wrote a paper once for my literacy class explaining this trend, and how a lot of people I know are proud of the fact that they don't read. It's funny and laughable to them.

How can kids be expected to read if they never see anyone model the behavior of reading?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hey joannagirl! How was your first day of school? Have an apple!

• luna
    luna

Well, I did watch a lot of TV as a kid. Something about getting away from my old, dubby parents, if only for a while. We only had basic TV, tho'...so, I didn't have any EVIL CABLE.

It didn't seem to stunt my aptitude or love of reading, however. I read like crazy when I was little, and I still do. I also like to write a lot...stories, etc.

So, I honestly think it depends on the kid. You can grow up watching television, and still manage to be creative and literate.

Luna

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Tell me, can a JW kid make up stories about Jehovah?

Only if they're on the governing body.

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

I read this article this morning, and like every other new "study" that comes out, you have to take it with a grain of salt. Like Luna, I watched a lot of TV as a kid and so did my DH. We're both avid readers and have a number of creative interests, including writing. It depends on the rest of the environment a child lives in. My daughter is 8 1/2 and has been toting books with her wherever she goes for the past year - she even reads in front of the TV - {so do I}. I think TV is blamed for a lot of things, but if you want your kids to be readers, let them see you with a book, read to them, take them to the book store etc. They can like TV, but eventually they will chose reading over watching if they have the right motivation.

Silverleaf

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

New story this morning: Study Finds U.S. Preschoolers Tuned Into TV

Wed Oct 29, 6:44 AM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - American children under age six spend an average of two hours a day in front of a television or computer screen and are less likely to read or be read to, according to a study released on Tuesday.

The study by the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation also found that 43 percent of children under two watch television every day and 26 percent of them have a television in their bedroom.

The survey of 1,065 parents of children ages six months to six years old found that the youngsters spent about the same amount of time immersed in electronic media as they spend playing outside -- about two hours a day. That was well over the average 39 minutes the children spent reading or being read to, according to the study.

Among other findings: nearly half of children six and under have used a computer and 30 percent have played video games.

"It's not just teenagers who are wired up and tuned in, it's babies in diapers as well," the study's lead author, Vicky Rideout, said in a statement.

The study suggests that many children are growing up in homes where television is a constant companion. It found that 65 percent live in homes where the TV is on at least half the time, even if no one is watching.

Forty-three percent of parents said TV "mostly helps" children's learning and an overwhelming majority, 72 percent, said that computers "mostly help" children learn.

The survey was conducted from April 11 to June 9 and has a margin of error of plus or minus three percent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit