Jonah and the big myth

by peacefulpete 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

I did start with "maybe", but nevertheless, I'll still run something on this side of a debate

The concept is nothing but an anthropomorphized image of a big invisible man. A man who first and foremost is a killer, a god of war.

Certainly a very common concept

This repugnant creature is then labeled "The Most High", "The True God", "our Creator".

Well, by many, but not everyone.....for myself, this is what the dream of revelation refers to as a beast - the imaginary nasty being - that animalistic/base figure who is given life by those who worship the image - the image developed by certain hearing during stories, by those who "already have" - the "image of a beast"

But nevertheless, I think that this beast image also keeps many "survival of the fittest minded would be thugs" in check - many people are brutal enough even under the 'threats of hell', so I can imagine how they might be unrestrained altogether - there are examples of brutality in the cultures of complete atheism - from Stalin to many current "business companies", and to some backalleys of modern cities. Hey, take a look at jwism - no hell, no charities.

Nevertheless, I do not disagree that masses of injustice are perpetrated in the name of people's 'beastgod'. Their truth, the truth of them, is revealed by that which of them is consumed, and by that which is not consumed - i.e. their gold. It's often peoples' 'gold' that brings them out of the org. or whatever other beastcult they might be in.

The rest is burned up, just like you say - wicked works.

No wonder we are raised in fear and animosity for those not exactly like us.

It is no wonder, but do you really believe that everyone would be "nice" without religion? Sure, there certainly are radical fundy fanatics, but that little bit of attrite conscious might just also be the only thing stopping some of your gun tottin' neighbours from shooting you dead and makin' off with your women.

And Odrade,

The only time in my life I ever did run amok was when I did believe that a man named Jonah was swallowed by a big fish

But now that you've seen what you're capable of in self-interest, I've no doubt that you?re much more in check.

Just what lofty moral lesson is taught in Jonah?

Easter Saturday and the dark night of the soul

• barry
    barry

It so happens we are doing Jonah at the bible study it goes on for 13 weeks. I dont think I could get 13 weeks out of such a small book. The teacher said some SDA writers beleive Jonah as only myth. Ive heard of some people swallowed by a whale and have been found alive and well. Barry

• smack
    smack

I knew a bloke that caught a fish once.........

Steve

• barry
    barry

Brother Smack, Ive heard there is good fishing in Tazzie up in the freshwater lakes there.

• smack
    smack

we should become fishers of..............................fish up there one day Barry

Steve

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

What about what Jesus is supposed to have said about Jonah and his being in the tomb for three days.Was he referring to that myth or does he confirm that it was a real event?If it is a myth why would Jesus even mention it in connection with his resurrection ,unless Jesus never said it to begin with.And Jesus did not????????????

• bebu
    bebu

The story of Jonah has a similarity to the parable Jesus told about the prodigal son (Luke 15:11 ff), the parable of the two sons (Matth. 21:28 ff) and the story of the wicked tenants (Matt. 21:33 ff).

In each, the "good" one is revealed as rebellious; the "wicked" one is the one who finds mercy. The story of the prodigal son and about Jonah each end with the "good" person extremely resentful over God's mercy, and there is no resolution given for them in the story; the stories are left hanging.

The theme of grace in these stories is evident to me. I thought it was pretty obvious to everyone, actually... Guess not!

bebu

• leddfootdja
    leddfootdja

I really like the way you think James T.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

BlueBlades....It does seem you are asking rhetorically, but, of course one mythological character can easily be made to make reference to another. Now before Hooberus leaps in and defends Jesus as an historical person I will say that that exists as a possibilty, I am not decided. However I cannot think of 1 element in the entire Jesus story that cannot be reasonably sourced to earlier pagan savior stories, previous OT stories or exploits of other Jewish sages and would be Messiahs found in the historical records. In other words there is nothing original to the tales that suggest an historical Jesus to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit