Are you happy with your last salary increase?

by BeelzeDub 14 Replies latest jw friends

• BeelzeDub
    BeelzeDub

Working in the IT industry pay increases have been historicly good. This weeks computerword www.computerworld.com has an piece on the Salary Squeeze. For my job the average increase nationwide is 2%. This is way down from the past few years.

What was the percentage of your last salary increase? Were you happy with it?

BDub

• rocketman
    rocketman

After 24 years of working under my supervisor, he retired. I took on his duties but got no raise. Not a dime, while other people have been 'taken care of' around here for a long time.

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

Salary increase? We're supposed to get those? oh well, so far it's been a layoff...a pay cut...and a layoff.

Lisa

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

Not even close enough to make me smirk never mind keep me happy.

Which is why I put in my 2-week notice last week and am going to go work for a major SOB.. me.

Off to the entrepreneurial world I go.

At least this way I will be responsible for how much/little I get paid.

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

I don't work in IT but i was really happy with the last raise i got. of course, this is only my second job, but it was about a 7% raise and i don't do much as you may be able to tell, so i couldn't complain :)

• franklin J
  • flower
    flower

Well considering that since 9-11 the travel industry has been in the toilet, I have been lucky and happy to get about 4% each of the past couple of years. Not that its enough to make up for the level of stress I deal with at work but I could have been laid off after 9/11 so heck yea I'm happy :)

• BeelzeDub
    BeelzeDub

Rocketman

I took on his duties but got no raise

That happened to me once. Now I never take on more duties without a negotiation first. You can't trust management, especially if it's a good ol' boy network like where I work.

Arrowstar;

oh well, so far it's been a layoff...a pay cut...and a layoff.

Sorry to hear you have had one tough year. (((Lisa)))

Uzzah;

Off to the entrepreneurial world I go

No one ever gets rich working for someone else. Do you know what your going to do yet? Good luck!

Tink;

it was about a 7% raise and i don't do much as you may be able to tell, so i couldn't complain :)

Where do I apply.

FranklinJ;

This seems to be the trend in general. Considering the replies I guess 2% is not that bad.

Flower;

I feel like I have been lucky also considering the layoffs in the IT industry. I guess it could always be better but considering what most people are getting or lossing 2% is not bad.

• maxwell
    maxwell

I am content with my raise as long as it keeps up with the cost of living. In the past I have compared the percentage of my raise with the percentage that my rent goes up when it is time to renew the lease. The last percentage of the last cost of living increase in my job did not keep up with the increase in my rent. However, I did move to nicer apartment where the rent was even more than they were going to increase the rent at the apartment I was in at the beginning of the year. At my original apartment they were doing a 12% increase in rent and promising another 12% increase next year as a result of remodeling deal with the city housing agency. Although my new apartment has higher rent, I don't expect 12% rent increases.

Only one year since I've been here did I have a rent increase lower than the cost of living increase. However, averaging promotional salary increases and cost of living increases over the 4 years I've been on my own and comparing that with the average increase in my rent, the salary has increased enough to keep up with the rent increase. So overall I am satisfied, although a little concerned about what may happen when I hit the ceiling on the pay scale at my place of employment. I don't anticipate such a steep rise in rent at the next lease renewal. I am eventually thinking about buying myself a place, but that certainly does not stabilize housing costs. I'll have to worry about less predictable maintenance costs and property taxes then.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

No raise here, I quit my summer job to go back to school. Hopefully the next job will be a huge pay increase over my previous one. Well, it'd have to be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit