United Nations And daily text?

by mooneyes 14 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Mooneyes -

I've spent a lot of time researching this subject. The best source for information is at www.freeminds.org. They have a boatload of information on the topic, as well as links and resources to do your own hunting.

A series of letters were actually sent out to the R&F during October of 2001. (Less than a month after 9/11, it is no surprise that many people did not hear about it, as most people's attention was focused on the 9/11 story(ies).) The first letters out on the topic were written to brothers in different countries, and conflicted with one another. Once they had a little "pow wow" and came up with the "official version", they sent out a "final" letter informing everyone to "disregard" any of the previous letters on the subject. Obviously they didn't want everyone "comparing notes." They'd found their story, and they were sticking to it!

Their story was they needed access to the Dag Hammarskjold Library, located on the UN campus, for research they were doing. They claim that the only way to get a library card for this library was to join the UN as an NGO (Non-Government Organization). Of course, they didn't think anyone was smart enough to figure out that the same information could be obtained through any of the library's satellite offices - without a library card! - and there was at least one of these satellite offices closer to Brooklyn than the UN Campus!

So, if the WTBTS could get the information they were seeking elsewhere without compromising their "beliefs", why did they join the UN as an NGO? Documentation widely available demonstrates that the reason they actually joined was to have political influence in nations which currently banned the teachings of the JW's. In other words - they were using the political system they warned their members to stay away from, in order to bring in more international sales of their materials!

Another interesting aspect of this story are the requirements imposed upon an entity who is chosen to become an NGO with the UN. In general, the UN preferrs to admit NGO's based upon their capability of disseminating UN information to their own "members". WTBTS was a great candidate because of their ability to publish "periodicals". Part of the agreement an entity makes with the UN - PRIOR to being accepted as an NGO is to publish favorable information regarding the UN and it's different programs and distribute it amongst their members. Then, they must submit a copy of this propaganda to the UN as proof they have complied with this obligation. Hence, numerous favorable articles on the UN in the Awake! magazine (you can find the links on freeminds and reference to them on the UN website). The WTBTS claims that they were not aware of this provision, and contends that NGO requirements were revised to add this particular standard in 1996 (I believe). However, you can access documentation on freeminds that shows that not only had this requirement not been added in 1996, but that they were IN PLACE in 1991 - when the WTBTS gained NGO status! (Can you see the big "LIAR" across their foreheads?!) Therefore, the WTBTS AGREED to abide by these rules from the beginning of their status as an NGO, and they COMPLIED with this requirement, as well!

Once someone stumbled across this little piece of information and let others know about it, the UN was inundated with letters from Active and non-active JW's asking for more information. The UN itself was overwhelmed by the interest in this subject, and since so many people who wrote exposed the WTBTS' assessment that the UN was in fact, "The Scarlet Beast" of Revelations, decided to launch an investigation into the WTBTS. Whether the WTBTS was embarassed once the "cat was out of the bag", or because of the fear of what the UN might find in their investigation, (or a combination of both), the WTBTS officially withdrew from the UN in October of 2001, thus halting the investigation.

Anyway, there is the "nutshell" version. Again, if you need documentation to back up all of this, Randy has great stuff on www.freeminds.org.

imallgrowedup

• hooberus
    hooberus
    Thanks so much for your help. The reason why I am loooking for it is due to an arguement with a family member who is an active J.W. I was raised a witness but was never baptised. Even still it wasn't untill 2 years ago I even looked into the religon from an outside point of view. When I found out all I did it was a real eye opener for me. I asked my family about the U.N. matter and was told I had fallen for the biggest hoax out there and must be very studip and gullible (blah, bLah, blah). So I thought if I had something written from the J.W.'s to prove my point that would be great because my family would'nt belive anything else.

Rather than a complex UN strategy in which you show the Watchtowers Official letter in which thy admit to becoming an NGO with the UN and then attempt defend themselves craftily by things such as the "Library Card Defense" as well as the "Requirements Changed Defense" You would probably do better to start with a much simpler Watchtower only strategy:

The comparisons below are simple to use and use only official watchtower literature:

"The wild beast that you saw was, but is not, and yet is about to ascend out of the abyss, and it is to go off into destruction. And when they see how the wild beast was, but is not, and yet will be present, those who dwell on the earth will wonder admiringly, but their names have not been written upon the scroll of life from the foundation of the world." Revelation 17:8 NWT

"We cannot but admire the high principles embodied in the proposed League of Nations, formulated undoubtedly by those who have no knowledge of the great plan of God. This fact makes all the more wonderful the ideals which they express. For instance, it has been made plain by President Wilson and the advocates of his ideas that the proposed League of Nations is more than merely a league to enforce peace. They would not have us consider it to exclusively from the standpoint of politics or of military relations. It should be considered as fully from the economic and social points of view. The President's idea seems to be that the League of Nations which he proposes would stand for world service rather than mere world regulation in the military sense, and that the very smallest of nations shall be participants in its every arrangement. In other words, his idea undoubtedly is that the league shall not be established merely for the purpose of promoting peace by threat or coercion; but that its purpose, when put into operation, will be to make all nations of earth one great family, working together for the common benefit in all the avenues of national life. Truly this is idealistic, and approximates in a small way that which God has foretold that he will bring about after this great time of trouble." Watch Tower February 15, 1919 p.51 reprints page 6389

Comment: The Watchtower loves to quote the beliefs of other religious organizations regarding the Leage of Nations. The Revelation (1988) Book quotes from several church's their endorsement of the ideals of the League. However as seen by comparing the above Watchtower quote to Revelation 17:8 the watchtower actually is closer to the exact words of Revelartion: ("wonder"- "wonderful")("admiringly"-"admire") than the other organizations which they condemn!

Also Revlation 14:5 says that the remnant will tell no lie:

However a 1971 Watchtower arcticle said the "Jehovahs Witnesses have consistently exposed the League for what it is" This also disproves the Watchtower Leaders claim to be of the remant because they are lying about their past beliefs.

Once a JW sees from a simple strategy that the WT leaders have lied about their involvement with what they consider to be the beast (according to WT interpretation the beast is the League of Nations) then they may be ready to objectively look at the more complex situation with their involvement with what they consider to be the image of the beast (according to WT interpretation the image of the beast is the UN).

• rocketman
    rocketman

Always a good topic. Always.

• mizpah
    mizpah

hooberus:

That is one quote that I had not seen before. Thanks for sharing it with us. It's just one more example of how the Watchtower Society has "whitewashed" its own history. I'm surprised, though, that the Watchtower would come out with this statement since Rutherford was in control at the time. Perhaps he was too busy behind the lines completing his own "coup de main" and let this one slip by?

• hooberus
    hooberus

I think that the WT originally was positive about the League, then gradually became more opposed. The WT quotes now from their later 1919 statements yet does not mention the earlier one. Interestingly they condemn others for similar statements made in 1918 the year before their positive statement in 1919!

A person if they feel led can use the UN situation to bring up the whole UN/Legue issue, but it might be simpler to start with the League quote.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit