A Day to Thank Yeru (at least Stateside)

by outnfree 8 Replies latest jw friends

• outnfree
    outnfree

Didn't want to let Memorial Day (U.S.)go by without using my newfound (renewed?) freedom to thank the military personnel who have served to ensure various other freedoms that I enjoy living in this great democracy.

I know only of Yeru on this board who is actually in the military, so wanted to single him out. If there are any others, please accept my gratitude.

My own father was a Marine who fought in WWII and the Korean conflict.
    I have a cousin who was a career officer in the U.S. Navy, and other members of my family who served in the Navy or Marines. (No Army or Air Force personnel in my neck of the woods.) A girlfriend of mine from high school and an old boyfriend were also Navy.

It is such a pleasure now not to have to pretend I was not proud of having a Marine Corps daddy (he was in the reserves until his diabetes got him kicked out) and to allow myself to hum along with patriotic songs without guilt.

Yes, indeed, as I thanked a Vietnam Veteran yesterday for being willing to put duty ahead of desire, I was truly happy to be

outnfree

• Tina
    Tina

I second that out,thanks for bringing this up!!. My Dad was a WW@ vet,my new husband is a Vietnam vet,and My son served in the 82nd airborne DIv.......thanks to all. Im proud of those who are gone (not forgotten tho) and grateful that I can tell those who are here, that I am proud of them and their service,,,,,,love to them,their memories and of course Yeru ,Tina

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny...."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense,you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• jelly
    jelly

I would also like to thank the vets.
    In jelly's family:

Father -------------------> air force served in viet nam
    Brother ------------------> marines served in gulf war
    great uncle --------------> navy served in wwII KIA
    several other g. uncles --> army europe wwII

Jelly

• jelly
    jelly

I almost forgot, the first member of my family to immigrate
    over here from Germany fought with general george washington.
    Jelly

• wasasister
    wasasister

The holiday has expanded to include rememberance of all dead, not just war dead. This is the first year I have truly given myself over to reflection on those who have passed and the impact they have had on my life.

This afternoon, between recurring storms, I walked out on the beach at low tide and remembered my mother who died in 1986. She remains my primary anchor and touchstone. She taught me to love music and the written word; she gave me my spiritual side; she imparted her nurturing instincts which helped me be a good mother; she showed me how to laugh at myself and to admit when I was wrong.

It occured to me, I had never visited her grave - fully expecting to see her again in the resurrection. Since I could not travel there on this Memorial Day, I instead strolled away from the beach along a path deep in the forest. One of her favorite songs was a sentimental number titled "Green Cathedral." (She used to annoy my sister and I by insisting we sing it for company.) I stood looking up at the arches of a real Green Cathedral and thought of her and the others who were important to me.

I join each of you in remembering those who died for causes they believed in; those who died of natural causes after living a full life; and those whose lives were taken from them because they were victims of false doctrines.

Peace

• outnfree
    outnfree

AMEN! wasasister!

• Tina
    Tina

Beautifully said sis. Your heartfelt thoughts echo mine(Im just not very good at expressing them) luv ya,Tina

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny...."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense,you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• jelly
    jelly

That was wonderful and touching wasasister, thank you.
    Jelly

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

outnfree,

Thanks for remembering us.

YERUSALYIM
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Shakespere: Hamlet

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit