Did Anyone Else Have a Non JW Relative That They Celebrated Christmas With?

by Sorry 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sorry
    Sorry

As strict as my parents are, this was an area I had (still do) leeway with. My mother's side of the family are non Witnesses, and since we rarely have opportunities to see each other, my parents let me and my siblings see them during Christmas break. Our Aunts and Uncles spoil us silly with gifts. At first, our parents would go off about it, but as years have gone by, they've adopted a sort of "don't ask, don't tell" policy. Once we're back by New Year's, they simply ignore our new things. That's why I don't really have much of a chip on my shoulder about Christmas.

I was just wondering if anyone else gets a lucky break, since it's Christmas. And since I never get to say this: Merry Christmas Everyone!

• blondie
    blondie

My non-jw relatives were not very religious or holiday interested.

My father was not a jw growing up and he "dropped in" on his non-jw friends. We were warmly welcomed and they always found a wrapped gift for me and my siblings. My father was such a moocher. My jw mother came along on the premise that he was her head. But everyone enjoyed (although we never brought food or gifts). I envied the other children and their parent's obvious affection for them. I woiuld sing with the choir that went to nursing homes and for the other parents. I once even sang at a non-jw uncle's workplace party.

But my jw and non-jw relatives got together socially for other things non-holiday related but were not treated like the walking dead.

• blondie
    blondie

My in-laws were not jws, and when we became ex-jws were friendly on the surface but now make it clear we aren't welcome. That has nothing to do with jws or not. We just learned that because people are not jws, doesn't mean they are kind or holiday oriented. Non-jws can practice shunning as well.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I went to be with my father for the first time ever when I was 17. He was staying at my aunts' home where my relatives lived. Half the homes on the block were lived in by them. It was Christmas which was being celebrated at a distant relatives home.

At first I wasn't going to attend but then I decided to go in grungy clothes which I was mildly criticized for. They knew about my religion but did not fully understand the implications for me just by attending (disfellowshipping at the whim of the elders?).

I was somewhat distant from the party at first but later got into it with my cousins. I'm glad I did.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

From age 0 to 8 my father wasn't a JW and there were Christmas events in my family. After that, no. As an adolescent and young adult, I found a way to celebrate when I felt like it, though I admit, not always I felt like it.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Yup.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit