Mothering Sunday

by BluesBrother 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The tv media are talking about this today... in U K anyway.

As a Witness , my Mum never expected or received any recognition on that day . Now, on the outside it seems very harsh and nit-picking.

Their thinking is explained by this quote from the "Reasoning" book.

" What is the origin of the practice of setting aside a day to honor mothers?

The Encyclopædia Britannica says: “A festival derived from the custom of mother worship in ancient Greece. Formal mother worship, with ceremonies to Cybele, or Rhea, the Great Mother of the Gods, were performed on the Ides of March throughout Asia Minor.”—(1959), Vol. 15, p. 849"

Who today has heard of Cybele or Rhea? Precious few and I guarantee that nobody sets out to honour them by treating their Mother today.

I accept that it is somewhat commercial today, but it brings a lot of harmless pleasure to families and sadness to unbelieving Mums of Witnesses.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

They are trying to resurrect a very early but strong impulse towards monotheism that the early early church fathers were experimenting with. In this scenario God was all powerful through his mainly male powers.

I think you are right to question this because this springtime enjoyment has many female characteristics - flowers, the flourishing earth etc. I agree about the commercial aspects and this is also an aspect that needs transforming - that good things are measured in economic monetary spending and consuming terms. I guess in this latter respect jws area a breath of fresh air. But I am suspicious of their emphasis on mostly masculine ways of obtaining enjoyment in the world today. In my own case I was always found lacking and kept in a state of anxiety about not measuring up.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Nitpicking alright, they've turned straining out the gnat and gulping down the camel into an art form. The only people allowed any thanks or gratitude are the GB.

I've just opened my gift from my daughter who can't be with me today because of circumstance and it made me happy. Is that idolatry? Venerating fat old men in America as if they speak for God, that's worship!

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

I've had a lovely gardening gift from a relative who has struggled a lot while being a witness and a card that I am going to frame - there is lovely bunch of flowers on it. It is marvellous to be so valued

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

Here is the sun newspaper giving us some history too. Good to see that the church was configured as the mother whereas in the US Mother's Day had nothing to do with religion

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/2721553/mothers-day-2018-date-mothering-sunday/

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Perhaps JW's should stop giving their gifts of money to Mother organization!

Atlantis!

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

atlantis it would be interesting to know if they have ever said the organisation as our mother needs the money? if they have that would indeed bring a controversially feminine concept into the picture of economics amongst JWS.

I have heard witnesses speak of the org as a mother and in motherly terms particularly bethelites. But is there any of this in literature? it would be interesting to find out. I can vaguely remember 'the new Jerusalem adorned as a bride' and as 'our mother' motifs.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Ruby456:

Three times in one paragraph:

1. "The world is full of Bibles, which Book contains the commandments of God. Why, then, do the people not know which way to go? Because they do not also have the teaching or law of the mother, which is light. Jehovah God has provided his holy written Word for all mankind and it contains all the information that is needed for men in taking a course leading to life. But God has not arranged for that Word to speak independently or to shine forth life-giving truths by itself. His Word says: "Light is sown for the righteous." (Ps. 97:11) It is through his organization that God provides this light that the proverb says is the teaching or law of the mother. If we are to walk in the light of truth we must recognize not only Jehovah God as our Father but his organization as our mother," (Watchtower, May 1, 1957, p. 274).

Atlantis!

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

thanks atlantis 1957 - more than 60 years ago. that does sound archaic.

anything nearer our own time?

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

We never had a direct celebration, but there was always a mention in my home about people's birthdays and mother's day. For father's day, my father used to always make a joke about that being "dog's day" (those were the days before PETA and people talking to dogs like they are babies, that we see today).

There was never an official celebration, but it was certainly always acknowledged.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit