to Be Ministers (1955) pages 289, 290.) In a court case, taking place
    in Bonham, Texas, America, in 1986, JW attorneys were authorized to
    present its control as "hierarchical" rather than "congregational."
    Don Adams, Vice President of the Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society of
    New York, submitted an affidavit to this effect stating in point 6:
    "To implement their decisions, the Governing Body uses a hierarchical
    organization together with corporate entities."

http://www.christianlinks.com/forums/archive/topic/46315.html

The Watchtower Society, prior to Rutherford?s time, was run as a ?congregational? church government, similar to individually and locally owned operated franchises. During Rutherford?s tenure as President of the Society, they required all congregations to register with the Society, and then instituted a hierarchical church government, except for local ownership of Kingdom Halls, which were owned by the local congregation. Then, in the 1980s after the case in Bonham, Texas was lost, it is my understanding that the Society instituted more changes so that in the event of the demise of a local congregation, the Kingdom Hall would become the property of the Society as beneficiary. This tightened the hierarchical control, but the baptism loophole was still wide open. The 1985 change in the baptism vow is obviously designed to make an individual JW a member of the congregation, and accountable to the Watchtower organization by recognizing his/her association with it. Nevertheless, I have no knowledge of whether any case could be won to Nullify one?s baptism on this ground, or to repudiate the religious authority of the Watchtower Society. In actual practice, any legal maneuvers against the Society, even if successful, will likely still result in total shunning and effective disfellowshipping anyway. It will be merely handled orally, with subsequent denials by all parties.

http://www.exjws.net/pioneers/part18.htm

• mizpah
    mizpah

Blondie:

It amazing to what length the Watchtower Society will go to keep its financial empire intact. After years of condemning the Catholic church with its "hierarchy" it now confirms that it is a legal hierarchy itself. In the Swaggart case in California, it rushed its "friend of the court" brief . It will do anything when it comes to protect its money and property.

It reminds me of the passage: "...and the Pharisees were money lovers."

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

The whole deal in Bonham was because an overbearing PO wanted to be boss, and there were a considerable number of people in the congregation that were financially dependent on him, and some relatives as well. He didn't want the Organization telling him what to do, so he split off. This group apparently hasn't prospered. I drove by the place years ago and it was pretty run down, grass wasn't cut, paint was bad, etc. I suspect stultification through inbreeding. The local congregation has done fairly well.

It certainly did cause some excitement at the time. The CO was speaking in terms of physical violence.

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land

Wow, in what has to be the strangest coincidence ever, I was chatting with my new co-worker after work today, and he grew up in Bonham. He brought up "living next door to the guy who ran the Kingdom Hall"... he had quite a few insights into this whole situation. The PO lived next door, was good friends with his family (the PO taught him how to ride a bike!). Earlier in the conversation, before I heard "Bonham", he said that the PO let the Girl Scouts hold their weekly meetings in a rented room at the Kingdom Hall; my first reaction--and I told him so--is that he must be mistaken, as Witnesses would NEVER rent their facililty to the Girl Scouts or Boy Scouts, nor allow their kids to join those organizations. When he mentioned Bonham as the city, "ding", the light went on. Not sure about the veracity of the Girl Scouts' meetings story, but I have no reason to doubt my co-worker's knowledge of the events.

• TMS
    TMS

I believe David Bercot was the attorney who worked the case. He's an expert in Texas title searches. He went on to become a prolific writer of books on the history of early Christianity. I knew him when he was a young pioneer in Harlingen, TX. http://davidbercot.com/news-david-bercot

tms

• cedars
    cedars

Hi folks! I'm currently researching this topic, but I've noticed information is scarce. If anyone can provide any information further to what is available on JWN or the brief notes in Ray's book In Search of Christian Freedom, please email me at [email protected]. I would love to hear from you.

Cedars

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hiya, CEDARS! There was considerable discussion of this on one of Rick Fearon's SIX SCREENS OF THE WATCHTOWER conference calls a few years ago. Answered almost ever question I could think of. It was great! Too bad you weren't there.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks Nathan. Just after I posted the above I got an email pointing me in the same direction. I've downloaded the relevant show and will listen to it tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up!

Cedars

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Cedars,

Here's some info you might be able to use?

• 2360 E State Highway 56
    • Bonham, TX 75418-8808
    Phone(903) 640-8113

http://governingbodyletters.blogspot.com/2008/04/who-owns-kingdom-halls.html

http://www.sixscreensofthewatchtower.com/telenetwork/2010-six-screens.php

6-26-2010

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit