How did you feel.......when

by morty 15 Replies latest jw friends

• morty
    morty

I did not know that when your in the states,that you did not have to go in the hallway....ok..who made up these rules?

I must say though,the american athem is beautiful....it sends shivers down my spine........

and about my caps........I cannot see.......someone asked me not to use caps,so I changed....cant make anyone happy.....sorry xjw

,mortons68

• Sassy
    Sassy

well remember that there are inconsistancies on how JWs act.

I remember the school we attended, we couldn't go to pep fests to prepare and get the team spirit flowing in the school.. where as kids from our congregation that went to this other school were able to go.

We are all told different things on what we are supposed to do.

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

My mother (who was never a JW) was a world-class sportswear fashion designer when she was alive. In the 1970s, she was commissioned to design some of the outfits for the U.S. Olympics. Our family was invited to a special performance by the U.S. Olympic figure skating team. I can only imagine my mother's horror and embarrassment when the U.S. national anthem was played, and everyone in the stadium stood up, except for me, seated right next to her. You could hear the hushed whispers throughout the event. I was never invited back to any Olympic event again. My mother was always an "opposer", but her opposition to my being a JW increased exponentially that evening. At the time, I thought I was making a "good witness" for being a JW, but now that I look back on it, I see what an idiot the JWs had turned me into.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Standing in the hall way of school I found to be ridiculous. You had to stand in the hall, so why not in the class room. Singing of course I wouldn't do as we were told we only gave our allegience to God. It is of my opinion that one could still sing and not lose their devotion to God.

Before I was a JW I was very patriotic and I sang both God Save the Queen and Oh Canada. So for me to stop I found it difficult.

Several years ago, my aunt who works for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police was having their inaguration and a speak by the liberal candidate in our region. It appeared that I was the only one in our family who was going to attend. Then my aunt mary asked me, if I intended to remain standing for the Anthem and I said of course. I was still a witness and it didn't bother me one bit. Then out of no where my mother and my sister and her kids showed up for this event. my sister asked me if I was going to stand for the anthem and I said yes and I have already told aunt mary that that was my stance. Well my sister said something to my mom and my mom came over to me and said that you are not going to stand for the NA because none of us are and you will follow suit. Here I am 47 yrs old and she is telling me what t o do. So I had to run over to my aunt and explain that the rest of the family will not stand for the NA so mom feels I should follow their lead. I could sense the disappointment in her, but at the same time she said she understood.

The sessions started and the NA began and everyone stood and here I sat allow, because my sister and mom and the kids were in another row towards the back... I guess I felt like a sucker, I should have stuck with my original plans but I guess my mom would have run to the elders and I would have been on death row back then.

From now on in I will do what my heart tells me what to do and the hell with everyone else.

Orangefatcat...

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

I cringed ...

GAAAAWD!! That religion knew how to humiliate!!

Mental note to self: Stop coming by here so much ...

Gone dancin'

ESTEE

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

I remember when I was 14. I was at a monster truck show with my parents. Yeah I know, anyway.... we sat during the national anthem. Just stared straight ahead and as the last notes were ringing through the building a tub of beer was dumped over my head by some loser behind us. My dad was a witness but he didn't allow anyone to abuse me like that.

Usually, after that, what I would do is just be wandering around when they got ready to play the national anthem. But now at the ballpark I just join in singing.

I still wouldn't dump beer over a kids head.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit