1874 v. 1914 date change?a masterpiece (Part Three)

by MacHislopp 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• greven
    greven

Some other gems:

*** Thy Kingdom Come 305-6 (not yet on CD-ROM) *** We have noted the fulfillment of the 1,260 days, or the time, times, and half a time of Papacy's power to persecute, and the beginning, in 1799, of the Time of the End. We have seen how 1,290 days marked the beginning of an understanding of the mysteries of prophecy in the year 1829, culminating in the great movement of 1844 known as the Second-Advent movement when (…) the wise Virgins went forth to meet the Bridegroom, thirty years prior to his actual coming (…) We have remarked, with special delight, the 1,335 days, pointing to 1874 as the exact date of our Lord's return.

*** w1880 11/1 1 (not yet on CD-ROM) ***
    We need not here repeat the evidences that the "seventh trump" began its sounding A.D., 1840, and will continue until the end of the time of trouble, and the end of "The times of the Gentiles," A.D., 1914
    , and that it is the trouble of this "Great day," which is here symbolically called the voice of the Archangel when he begins the deliverance of fleshly Israel. "At that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince (Archangel) which standeth for the children of thy people and there shall be a time of trouble such as never was since there was a nation." Dan. xii. 1. Nor will we here, again present the conclusive Bible proof that our Lord came for his Bride in 1874, and has an unseen work as Reaper of the first-fruits of this Gospel Age.

*** Thy Kingdom Come 342 (1897) (not yet on CD-ROM) *** Then measuring down the "Entrance Passage" from that point, to find the distance to the entrance of the "Pit", representing the great trouble and destruction with which this age is to close, when evil will be overthrown from power, we find it to be 3416 inches, symbolizing 3416 years from the above date, B.C. 1542. This calculation shows A.D. 1874 as marking the beginning of the period of trouble; for 1542 years B.C. plus 1874 years equals 3416 years. Thus the Pyramid witnesses that the close of 1874 was the chronological beginning of the time of trouble such as was not since there was a nation – no, not ever shall be afterward. And thus it will be noted that this "Witness" fully corroberates the Bible testimony on this subject, as shown by the " Parallel Dispensations" in MILLENNIAL DAWN, VOL. II., Chap. Vii. Nor should any doubt the fact that the forty years of judgment and trouble began in the fall of 1874 because the trouble has not yet reached an unendurable stage; and because, in some respects, the period since that date has been one of the great advancement in knowledge. Remember that all this is shown in the Great Pyramid and illustrated in the diagram of the "Pit" which was draughted by Prof. Smyth without any reference to this application.

*** w22 11/1 333 (not yet on CD-ROM) ***
    Bible prophecy shows that the Lord was due to appear for the second time in 1874. Fulfilled prophecy shows beyond a doubt

that he did appear in 1874.

***w24 1/1 5 (not yet on CD-ROM) *** Surely there is not the slightest room for doubt in the mind of a truly consecrated child of God that the Lord Jesus is present and has been since 1874.

*** w1894 6/15 1677 (not yet on CD-ROM)*** The old is quickly passing and the new is coming in.' Now, in view of recent labor troubles and threatened anarchy, our readers are writing to know if there may not be a mistake in the 1914 date. They say that they do not see how present conditions can hold out so long under the strain. We see no reason for changing the figures-nor could we change them if we would. They are, we believe, God's dates, not ours. But bear in mind that the end of 1914 is not the date for the beginning, but for the end of the time of trouble.

Russell's warnings were contributed to God himself:

*** The Finished Mystery 387 (not yet on CD-ROM) *** Ezekiel was raised up shortly before the destruction of Jerusalem to warn the Hebrews of the impending calamity. Pastor Russell's warning to Christendom, coming direct from God, has been of the imminent collapse of the present "Christian" civilization in a welter of war, revolution and anarchy, to be succeeded by the early establishment of the Kingdom of God. In all his warnings he claimed no originality. He said that he could never have written his books himself. It all came from God, through the enlightenment of the Holy Spirit.

*** The Finished Mystery 422 (not yet on CD-ROM) *** [Ezekiel]10:5. And the sound of the cherubim's wings was heard even to the outer court, as the voice of the Almighty God when he speaketh.— Here is indicated the sounding forth of the Word of God through Pastor Russell's proclamation of Present Truth. The inner Court typed the condition of faith and justification, and the outer Court typed the condition of those not fully believing, nor directly serving God. The preaching and writings of Pastor Russell were heard by all classes of believers and unbelievers. It was the voice of Jehovah, represented as almighty to save, that was heard throughout the world.

But what is learned later:

*** w52 11/1 658 A Better Basis for Belief ***As for the time of Christ’s second presence, Daniel’s prophecy is again the one that gives the chronology for it. (Dan. 4:16) It was figured out as pointing to A.D. 1914, and The Watchtower called notice to the significance of 1914 in the year 1879.

*** w55 1/15 45 Part 2: Small Beginnings (1879-1889) ***
    IN THE year 1879
    it became evident which of the many early voices announcing Christ’s second coming were being chosen by Jehovah to be united in action as his witnesses.

*** w65 7/15 428 Jehovah's Advancing Organization ***As we look back over the years, we can clearly see how God’s organization in modern times has progressed in understanding. For example, it learned that Christ’s second presence was to be in the spirit, and not in the flesh as many professed Christians believe. His rule would be from the heavens. This was a new revelation of great importance to God’s people who had been anxiously awaiting his second presence toward the end of the nineteenth century.

*** w66 9/15 557 Jehovah's Witnesses Endure for His Sovereign Godship ***They particularly heralded that the year 1914 was a marked year for the ending of "the times of the Gentiles" (Luke 21:24, AV) and for the time of the establishment of Christ’s kingdom in heaven. All of this proved to be true and was verified by the beginning of World War I with its associated events among the Gentile nations.

*** w84 4/15 3 1914-A Focal Point ***EXACTLY what would occur in 1914 we did not then know, but of one thing we were certain: The year 1914 would see the beginning of the worst time of trouble the earth had yet known; for so many Bible prophecies foretold that.

Oh really? The beginning?

*** w1894 6/15 1677 (nog niet op CD-ROM)*** 'The old is quickly passing and the new is coming in.' Now, in view of recent labor troubles and threatened anarchy, our readers are writing to know if there may not be a mistake in the 1914 date. They say that they do not see how present conditions can hold out so long under the strain. We see no reason for changing the figures-nor could we change them if we would. They are, we believe, God's dates, not ours. But bear in mind that the end of 1914 is not the date for the beginning, but for the end of the time of trouble.

*** Three Worlds, and the Harvest of This World 17 (1876) (nog niet op CD-ROM) *** The End Of This World; that is the end of the gospel and the beginning of the millennial age is nearer than most men suppose; indeed we have already entered the transition period, which is to be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation Dan. 12:3.

Hope these additional gems are of any help.

Greven

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello everyone,

these few lines to thanks you for the nice comments.

Mizpah:

Thanks also for the appreciative remarks. I do agree with you

also on this point:

"The 1914 date is now getting embarrassing for them to explain.

But it remains crucial to its whole system of belief in the "faithful and

discreet slave" class. "

Greven

Thanks for the appreciative remarks and most of all for the

concise and factual answer to Happy Man. I do believe that

thsi part is very important:

"They taught at least until 1930 that the parousia had taken place in 1874.

In 1930 Rutherford changed this to 1914 but gave no explanation for this

change no change of chronology was presented. Between 1930 and

1942 they are mostly silent on this topic and explain in 1942 why

with chronology changes. "

Happy Man:

Thanks for taking the time to read the topic and also for your

comments. I do believe that Greven has given you a very nice ,

truthful, factual and well written answer.

Please allow me give yu some small reminders:

1st :

*** w54 6/15 p. 370 The Revelation of Jesus Christ ***

4 "Why, then, do the nations not realize and accept the approach of this climax of judgment? It is because they have not heeded the world-wide advertising of Christ's return and his second presence. Since long before World War I Jehovah's witnesses pointed to 1914 as the time for this great event to occur . And since 1914 physical evidences establishing this truth have been pointed to repeatedly in the columns of The Watchtower. ?

Please notice also the subtle association :

***Since long before World War I Jehovah's witnesses..."

Now World War I was fought between 1914 and 1918 , so If I declare that:

"...Since long before ..." Well you know very well the answer.

Never Charles Taze Russell nor any of the Bible Students, pointed to the year

1914 as the time for this great event to occur i.e.

"Christ's return and his second presence.."

for the simple fact that they were preaching worldwide

since 1877, that the event took place in the

year 1874!

2nd :

Quote from the book:

"JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES IN THE DIVINE PURPOSE "

(chapter 15 th , page 10i and 102 )

"...At Cedar Point,Ohio,an international convention was held,September 5-13,1922.

Emphasizing the theme of the Kingdom,Brother Rutherford delivered a

historic lecture on the subject :"The Kingdom".

"He said :

Why has the King come?To set up [God's ]

kingdom and reign as King .But he had a work to do before his reign began,and that is a preparatory work.Since there are to be asso- ciated with him in his reign his body members, these must be gathered together and prepared for the beginning of the reign ....

...from all others,standing as his witnesses,fear- lessly crying out the message :

"The kingdom of heaven is at hand!"...

Do you believe it?

Do you believe that the King of glory is present, and has been since 1874?

Do you believe that during that time he has conducted his harvest work?

Do you believe that he has had during that time a faithful and wise servant through whom he directed his work and the feeding of the household of faith?"

Furthermore, you are also familiar with the fact that the name change ,

from Bible Students , to " Jehovah's Witnesses " took place in the year

1931... i.e. 13 years after the end of Wold War I ! -

So you have to admit that ... the subtle association , in the same phrase

and even in the same line:

"Since long before World War I Jehovah's witnesses..."

is quite inaccurate and truly...misleading!

3rd:

From the book:

« Isaiah?s Prophecy ? Light for all Mankind - Volume II «

published in the year 2001

*** ip-2 chap. 28 pp. 408-410 A Light for the Nations ***

14 Does this prophecy have a modern-day fulfillment? Yes, indeed.

Following World War I, Jehovah?s anointed servants discerned from the

Scriptures that God?s Kingdom had been set up in heaven in 1914.

Through careful Bible study, they learned that additional Kingdom heirs, or ?brothers,? were to be gathered. Intrepid ministers traveled to ?the most distant part of the earth,? using all manner of conveyance, in search of prospective members of the anointed remnant, most of whom came out of Christendom?s churches. When these were located, they were brought in as a gift to Jehovah.?Acts 1:8.

I don't really understand your comment:

" ... one thing, in the Issaja book site 409, p 14 ,you dont tell what it is said, it is like this," AFTER first word war understand Jehovas servants widh help from the bibel that jehovas kingdom take power in 1914"

Because I did take the quote directly from the WTBS Inc. CD and also , as I have already written before, the quote was part of the material , for the ? worldwide - congregation?s book study , beginning on Monday, October 13th , 2003 .-

I do hope that these few lines will be helpful to you. As a matter of fact the WTBS Inc. wrote :

*** w87 3/1 14-15 'Upon the Watchtower I Am Standing' ***

18 To this day the Governing Body follows similar guidelines.

Each article in both The Watchtower and Awake! and every page, including the artwork, is scrutinized by selected members of the Governing Body before it is printed.

Furthermore, those who assist in writing articles for The Watchtower are Christian elders who appreciate the seriousness of their assignment. (Compare 2 Chronicles 19:7.)

They spend many hours in researching the Bible and other reference material to make sure that what is written is the truth and that it faithfully follows the Scriptures. (Ecclesiastes 12:9, 10; 2 Timothy 1:13)

and also this:

*** w95 5/15 22-3 Flashes of Light-Great and Small (Part 2) ***

As shown in the 1977 Yearbook of Jehovah?s Witnesses (pages 258-9), in 1976 the Governing Body began to function with six committees, each assigned to care for certain aspects of the worldwide work.

The Writing Committee supervises the preparation and translation of publications in all forms , making sure that everything is in line with the Scriptures.

In conclusion and as very personal statement I do really agree 100%

with the following:

from ' The Watchtower ' August 1st, 2003 pages 15-16 § 8-10 :

Jehovah's Servants Are Truthful

Paul counseled fellow believers: "Speak truth each one of you with his neighbor; because we are members belonging to one another." (Ephesians 4:25)

To many, lying may seem a convenient tool to obtain certain advantages. People lie to escape punishment, to profit in some way, or to gain the praise of others.

Yet, a practice of lying is a vice. What is more, a liar cannot gain God's approval.

When we are known to be truthful, others believe what we say; they trust us.

However, if we are caught telling even a single lie, others may doubt the truthfulness of anything we say in the future.

An African proverb states: "One falsehood spoils a thousand truths."

Another proverb says: "A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth."

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The material was part of " The Watchtower " Study, scheduled worlwide, for Sunday, September 14th 2003 )

Thanks again.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

"In silvam non ligna feras insanius " (Oratio, Satire, I, 10, 34)

P.S. Greven I?ve just seen your new addition. I'll comment on it later. Many, many thanks in advance. JCMacH

• yesidid
    yesidid

So here is # 3

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit