"God in the Whitehouse"

by Emma 26 Replies latest social current

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

I've heard it said that the two topics polite people don't discuss in public are politics and religion. Being in the JW forum, in a thread regarding our President, I guess this post makes me officially "impolite"! (Sure hope I don't kick myself in the morning!)

I've been watching this "Church and State" debate with great interest, for a while now. I find myself understanding why there are people who may be offended by our President's declaration(s) of faith. I also understand why there are people who feel uncomfortable with the idea of mixing religion and politics. But what I don't understand is people who don't think the President should be allowed to profess his faith and/or beliefs publicly.

I don't know what was taught in everyone else's civics classes, but in mine, I was taught that the original intention in our Constitution for the "Separation of Church and State" was not to keep God out of politics. It was because the British settlers, while still living in England, were required BY LAW to practice the same religion as the king, which at that time, was The Church of England, or the "Anglican Church" (if my memory serves me correctly). It is not that these people did not believe in the Christian God, or that they wanted his name stricken from every publicly-owned place, every public document, or every shopping mall at Christmas time. All they wanted was to guarantee religious tolerance for whatever view one held, and not be punished by the State for not believing whatever the King believed in! In order to make it a little clearer, they gave us the Bill of Rights, which guaranteed Freedom of Religion - not freedom to choose a Christian religion - but freedom to choose any religion! They then went on to guarantee Freedom of Speech, the Freedom of Peaceful Assembly, the Freedom to Speak Out Against the Government, and the Right to Vote!

What an awesome nation we live in! We have freedoms that peoples of other nations would give their eye teeth for! But the minute we want to pick and choose which American citizen is entitled to the guarantees and protections of any of our nation's founding provisions, and which aren't, we jeopardize ALL of our freedoms. Whether we like what the President has to say or not, he is allowed to publicly profess his faith - whether it is right-wing, left-wing or chicken-wing. And he can do it as often as he wishes - just as we can all come in here and talk about our own faith, or former faith, or lack thereof. The answer is not to ban what is perceived today as mixing "Church and State", but to exercise our Right to Vote if we don't like it. We aren't JW's anymore - we can DO that!

Panda: We were writing pretty much the same thing at the same time! Well said, my friend! We definately need to protect our Constitution!

• Swickley
    Swickley
    I voted for Pres.Bush because I liked his Everyman-ness, I adore his mother and think his wife is also down to earth

Panda - I am surprised that a person would vote for a presidential candidate because of the above stated reasons. What about his policies, his past, and his unethical business dealings? He did lots of damage in his own state (and yours), including cutting programs that benefited needy children and adults, and health care programs programs for kids. No need to reiterate his Harken Oil scandal or the Texas Rangers fraud. Now he is expanding his ruthless horizons throughout the globe.

He is America's worst nightmare -- regardless of whether he has a nice wife and mother.

• heathen
    heathen

I agree that the people in government have the right to believe what they want about religion but I think they go too far by imposing a belief that this is a christian nation and is being invisibly run by God thru the politicians . Now they are trying to implement a system of government in other countries thru force based on their beliefs . The moslem population in the middle east has been told that the western ways are evil for centuries , I don't see how the US can change their point of view by force .

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Heathen,

Just so you know, I really enjoy a respectful and lively debate, and in no way am I trying to provoke you. I am just curious where you are coming from, okay?

I agree that the people in government have the right to believe what they want about religion but I think they go too far by imposing a belief that this is a christian nation and is being invisibly run by God thru the politicians .

If I am understanding you correctly, what you are trying to say is that you think this high ranking military official had no business sharing his beliefs with his audience, right? If yes, then in what way do you think he was "imposing" his beliefs on anyone? The way I see it, he was speaking to a church group that obviously felt the same way, so I don't see how he was imposing his beliefs on any of the people he was speaking to anymore than you and I "impose" our beliefs that JWdom is - shall we say - not nice, on people in this forum . By virtue of being in this forum, we are creating an audience for one another. And we choose to come together because we share a common belief about the WT. So we can safely assume that if you were to rant about how terrible you think the WT is (as the majority of us in here do), it would never occur to me that you were trying to "impose" this belief on me, because I wouldn't be in here if I didn't agree with you in the first place! In other words, no one can "impose" a belief on someone who already holds that same belief! I feel pretty confident that the people at these churches in which this guy spoke already believed that our nation is being "invisibly run by God", whether it is through the politicians or through divine intervention. I don't think anyone who was intended to hear that particular message felt imposed upon, rather; most likely it reinforced their own beliefs already in place before this guy began to speak.

What is your opinion on the following statements:

1. Since some people may personally disagree with the beliefs of others, and/or don't want to be "identified" with someone who makes claims which do not represent their personal beliefs, people should not be allowed to speak publicly about them - especially - if they are some type of a representative of our government.

2. There are some American citizens who should not be entitled to all the rights and protections of the US Constitution.

3. American citizens are required to practice the same religion and have the same political beliefs as whichever President is in office at any given time.

4. American citizens should be tolerant of other's beliefs, whether they are the same, or different from their own.

5. American citizens are denied the freedom to make up their own minds about statements made by others regarding political, religious or other individual beliefs.

6. People who oppose another's message enough to wish to restrict that individual's right to freedom of speech as afforded by the US Constitution, despite having the freedom of make up their own mind about the material presented, are actually demonstrating intolerance to views which are different from their own.

Now they are trying to implement a system of government in other countries thru force based on their beliefs

This is a misnomer. If we were in the habit of implementing a system of government based on our beliefs, neither Germany nor Japan, countries we occupied for 5 and 7 years respectively, would have the type of government they do today. People seem to forget that a truly violent dictator ran Iraq - and they also forget about how happy the Iraqi people were to be freed from the tyrrany. Do they like that we are there now? It appears as though most don't, but there are good reasons for still being there and I'm going to share one of them with you.

As we know, the American military was in Afghanistan in the 80's to help them fight the occupation of the Soviet Union. When the Soviets gave up the idea of creating a new communist nation, the US said "Hooray! Now we can get outta here!" and despite the fact that the Afghani government was in a shambles, we left them to fend for themselves - just as it appears most opposers to our occupation of Iraq would have us do now. But nature loves a vacuum, and history shows us that the "strongest" always fills the gap. The strongest doesn't have to be the majority, just the one with the most ammo and/or power to maintain their stay at the top. (Look at Saddam Hussein! Only 5% of the Iraqi people were Baath party members!) So guess who filled the vacuum in Afghanistan? The Taliban - which did nothing to improve their nation's infrastructure after the war, encouraged and harbored terrorists, and decried that women should be worth no more than dog droppings stuck to a sandal. In fact, when we were trying to line up a coalition with the Northern Alliance of Afghanistan, they told us they would only do it on the condition that we stay and help to keep the peace and rebuild the infrastructure after the war. They also told us that they held us - the USA - responsible for the Taliban coming into power - because if we had stayed after the Soviets left, they never would have made it to the top of the heap. They were not happy with us because they felt that their lives could have been very different if we would just have stayed. And they would have been. Japan and Germany are just two examples of the importance of stability following a war - today, both of them are major world powers! They could have suffered the same fate as Afghanistan after the Soviet occupation if we hadn't stayed. The same goes for Iraq. The evil dictator is gone - but do these people who lived under the oppression of Saddam Hussein deserve to succumb to yet another dictator - which could be much worse? We are not trying to implement western beliefs in Iraq, we are just trying to lend stability to the nation until an election can be held, a new government formed, and things are running smoothly. They are not making it any easier on themselves, or shortening the amount of time it will take by constantly shooting at our troops. We won't leave until stability is established. If they'd stop shooting themselves in the foot, the process could be sped up!

The moslem population in the middle east has been told that the western ways are evil for centuries , I don't see how the US can change their point of view by force .

I don't think we are capable of changing their minds, by force or otherwise, and as stated above, that isn't why we are still there.

I do hope to hear back from you, Heathen!

imallgrowedup

• heathen
    heathen

imallgrowedup--- The Iraquie people have already tried to declare independence from foreign occupation and claim they are ready to govern themselves at this point but the US keeps insisting they aren't . The UN refuses to cooperate by sending international peace keepers because according to the popular vote in the UN the US was in violation of the geneva convention by initiating the aggression with preemptive attacks .

I would have to go with # 4 --- American citizens should be tolerant of other's beliefs, whether they are the same, or different from their own.

As far as my statement --- I agree that the people in government have the right to believe what they want about religion but I think they go too far by imposing a belief that this is a christian nation and is being invisibly run by God thru the politicians

I am saying that the US government keeps trying to convince the citizens and the world that they are morally correct in their aggressive actions and are not to be held accountable . It's not just some guy saying he believes in the christian religion it's the government insistance that the US is a christian nation .

• JT
    JT

It is so sad to see so many folks miss the whole point. my dear friends this issue has NOTHING to do with god bible jesus, it is all POLITICS and if you don't understand that then you need to brush up on it.

bush and the general have the freedom to say whatever they want to, but when you are a politians or you are a politcal appointee whether you like it or not THE RULES ARE NOT THE SAME

now we could argue all day whether that is right or wrong, i could care less for i deal with the reality

and the reality it when one is in a political position everything you say and do becomes magnified and blown up, if one in politics doesn't grasp that point then they have a rough road ahead

a few weeks back a couple of rank and file soldiers said the "morale was poor over there and they almost got sent to Levenworth prison- smile

for this clown general to make it all the way to a 3 star and not to "kNOW" the polictical ramiifactions that his comments about musliums would have at a time like now

and how those on the other side of the isle would spin it to death is unreal,

you don[t make it to 3 A star GENERAL without knowing the polictical minefields, look at trent lot, gary hart, and others who have decided to be high profile and think they could Politically act and speak like JOE 6 PACK it don't work

as i mentioned some may argue that they should be able to say whatever they want and i will not disagree at all, but the problem is if you say whatever you want to are prepared to deal with the failout

like the Dixie Chicks a few months back - if that had been SNOPP DOGGY DOG it would not have made page 32 of the Wash Post- but look at Snopp fan base and look at the Chicks-

totallly different

there are lots of folks who feel that america is fighting a holy war against isslam but how does he turn around and meet with his soldiers and many of them are musluim themselves after he just shot down their god

we all know how crazy folks can get over their god, DAMN LOOK AT US WHEN WE WERE JW- smile

whether one likes it or not if you are high profile and you say something that is polictically hot, then you got to be ready and willing to deal with whatever backlash

in fact he really is a "Wimp" in my veiw if he said it and then apologized like he did

i would have respected him even more if he had said:

"Damn right i said and i meant, I believe in all my heart and soul that we are fighting a false god and the god of the holy bible is on myside and if you don't like it --you can take these 3 STARS AND SHOVE WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE'

instead he cow towed to the same Policatical correctness that many of you are condemning

he should have have came out the next day the story broke and stood by his statement if he actually made it

instead of that BullSh!t excuse that we used to see in wt all the time

when wt got into troulbe they always tried to back peddle by saying SOME FRIEND MISUNDERSTOOD

ask any current jw about 1975- yes SOME BROTHERS SO AND SO AND SO-

i saw some video tape of him speaking in his uniform at some churches and he was talking "Big Sh!ts"

then when he get pullled on the carpet he started backpeddling

like i said he should have said , "yea i said and make sure you SPELL MY NAME RIGHT TOO"

BUT he like most guys at that level are too political to really stand for anything (whether you agree with it or not"

bottom line is whether it is right or wrong to say what one wants to AT THAT LEVEL OF THE GAME

one fact remains unchanged THERE WILL BE FALLOUT the only question a politicans has to answer is does he want to deal with it or not

just my 2

• Panda
    Panda

Swickley, I believe that the way women act around the men in their lives tells volumes about his character. Barbara Bush publicly disagreed w/ her husbands stand on abortion, she was and is still pro choice. Laura Bush is no wallflower and helped her husband overcome a truly evil addiction to alcohol. I don't know where you got your information about Pres.Bush as Gov. of Texas, but you are wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit