Why I believe life has a purpose -- Part I

by logansrun 21 Replies latest jw friends

• logansrun
    logansrun

Gumpy,

So far....I have not seen the good side in it, that is, as regards to life and it's purpose. How can not knowing why and how we here......be a good thing.......if it brings discontentment throughout your life? Unless you reach a point where you are comfortable at NOT knowing these things.....then I do not see a good side.

I can, off the top of my head, think of two reasons as to why "not knowing" can be a good thing; one is teleological in nature and the other is completely subjective.

Let's take subjective first: "Not knowing" will always leave open the possibility of your true hopes and aspirations. Personally, I would like for there to be something "more" beyond my finite, human existence. Is there any proof whatsoever for that hope? No. All the same, since you cannot prove non-existence it remains a possible option. (This is a very tenuous argument, I admit. It also leaves "open" the possibility of your worst nightmare!)

Now, the more important reason: Have you ever heard the old expression, "the journey was more important than the destination"? I'm sure you have. We all have experience the joy of the process of finding out. Even when we didn't know, the very prospect of "figuring it out" and knowing was enjoyable. If this is part of The Grand Scheme Of Things then it would make sense that we don't have "proof" for meaning, purpose and telos -- because it is, in the long run, more enjoyable not knowing (for now)

Make sense?

Bradley

• Panda
    Panda

Gopher: You are soooo bad

"I believe you made a good point. I cannot be sure but I believe it."

Bradley, I agree that all life has a purpose. That purpose is to continue existence, and to make sure you stay on the top of the the food pyramid. Have you ever read "The Selfish Gene" It is so amazing because you find the nuclear drive for changes which outlive each generation and cause not what many called mutation but survival - building tactics. Our DNA is life. We are the well built carriers. And our ability to communicate led to the evolution of our frontal lobes to be smarter than the average great ape. Our primal drive for success is our selfish genes way of self preservation AND continuance. What may make us really different is that while humans "could" destroy the planet, we just might make it better for the future of our kind. I know we have the ability. The question is how will we use our talents? Will we continue just to preserve humanity? Or will we strive to use that glorious primate brain to change the primal drive for self preservation and add to that global preservation. I think that first we need to recognize our position on this planet. We are not above our cousins, we're just on another ring of the circle.

BTW chimpanzees are self-aware, which is horrifying when we consider the experiments done on them.

Oh and lest the theists feel forgotten here ... there is no god except the ones created by people. The personal need for a god or the lack of facts proving the existence of aGod does not lead us to the conclusion that there is a god. Once we realize this and take responsibility ourselves for the plight( and blight) ; once we accept the responsibility and that no one but u and me will change things; that no amount of prayer will do anything but give you momentary solice, once we enable our big brains to realize that no new system will come by any means but by ourselves, then we will have achieved even more than our selfish gene have built us to achieve, we will have become the sole primate mitigating the survival of the entire ecosytem (us and out cousins). Is there any more glorious and awesome future than to preserve this blue planet?

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." Seneca the younger

Panda

• acsot
    acsot
    mind affects matter

Could you explain? Do you mean by some type of energy, magnetic field or something, or am I missing the point completely?

We can never be absolutely, positively, unequivically certain about anything, yes, anything.

I don't know why, but I find this very "comforting" in my search for the purpose of my life, or meaning. I an enjoying the search, and in the spirit of Tao, if you will, being mindful of the voyage, and not the destination, makes this existential travel meaningful.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I would like for there to be something "more" beyond my finite, human existence.

Who wouldn't? But are you letting that desire affect your reasoning? There is no proof at all that we continue to exist after death.... all indications show that we really are dead and are not conscious of anything.

Are you so sure that we are not the end product of the Universe/God?

Wouldn't it be quite arrogant for us to assume we are the "end result" of the Universe's/God's creative works? We have made such arrogant errors in the past.... we don't live in a geocentric universe, do we?

I do believe that the spiritual "longing" in humans is a natural side-effect of us being self-aware.

How would the discovery of sentient life elsewhere in the universe affect your thoughts on this topic?

• logansrun
    logansrun

ascot,

I am neither equipped or qualified to explain exactly how "mind affects matter." I mean this only, so far as we can tell, at the quantum level. If you get a chance, do an internet seach under "quantum theory", "Schrodinger's Cat" (check spelling) and "mind and quantum"....etc.....Also: Paul Davies books will be quite revealing.

Panda,

Yes, I agree it is ridiculous to expect divine intervention to solve our microscopic problems. I do believe that theism in some form is a viable option for a rational person, though.

Watson,

Of course my feelings might be in the way! How do you know that is part of the plan? ;) You don't, nor do I. Still, there is some hope beyond, I believe. Not a certainty, but a hope. Now that I've said that I have to go chop wood and carry water.

Bradley

• gumby
    gumby
    Let's take subjective first: "Not knowing" will always leave open the possibility of your true hopes and aspirations. Personally, I would like for there to be something "more" beyond my finite, human existence.

How about knowing "just a tad" more than we know now......but not the details?

Wouldn't it at least be good to know there IS a god that cares and has things in control...........but not know the DETAILS as to where he is, why he doesn't intervien like he should, and what his plans are?

At least you would know you are in good hands in the future, that their IS a future, and WHY you are here. The journey could THEN begin. How can you have a journey with nowhere to start from?

Gumby

• Panda
    Panda

Gumby,

Wouldn't it be good to know there IS a god that cares and has things in control ...

You're kidding, right? Do you consider the world in control? This gods idea about the future is destruction. Love me or you will be toast (or salt?).

The Christian resolve to find the world evil and ugly, has made the world evil and ugly. Fredrick Nietzche

I prefer not to have a god waiting for me to finally blurt out the correct magic words in order to ask for peace. That kind of menacing control does not speak towards loving kindness, but rather to sadistic control.

• gumby
    gumby
    You're kidding, right?

No....I'm not kidding. I wish I could believe in a god who cares, but I too have a hard time in believing in one, considering mans afflictions since he began.

My point was to bradley, that life can have it's mysteries.......but a basic foundation from which to start with would be nice...........not that it exists in any provable manner.

Gumby

• acsot
    acsot

Bradley: Thanks for the references; I just got back online now so will look those up tomorrow. Interesting discussion.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

If there's life after death, why the hell won't someone come back and tell us about it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit