Bad marriage and being a JW

by anglise 5 Replies latest jw friends

• anglise
    anglise

Being trapped in JW land is a bit like a bad marriage.

When you first get married(baptized) everything is good and happy, the rose coloured glasses effect.

Then later on, maybe years down the line, things change or are revealed that alter the contentment of the situation, but by then there is more commitment due maybe to children or shared friends and pastimes so it is difficult if not impossible to extract oneself from it.

To do so risks losing any normal contact with your children, grandchildren and those you thought were your friends.

So many choose to stay in a loveless/violent or broken down marriage (the borg) because the alternative is too awful to cope with.

What other loving religious group controls its members like this and then has the audacity to preach to everyone across the globe that theirs is the true way chosen by god.

Anglise

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

The Mormons are right up there in the running.

***** Rub a Dub

• rocketman
    rocketman

Yep, good analogy anglise.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I was thinking when I first started reading this thread that I don't know if it was ever rosy in my eyes in the beginning because I was 'given' this religion, rather than that I 'found' it. Guess it is like an arranged marriage then huh? But I sure do relate to the part about when chosing to leave and losing people. I remember when I was married and I thought my marriage was ending (it did end, just took a slow death of many years to happen) and I would think about which friends would I lose, who would stay with him and who would stay with me and who would just be gone completely in our lives. Now as I have just come out and told family and close friends, before doing so I had the same feelings. Who will I lose? Even though I was chosing to change my life, I would still miss those who I loved and I knew would chose to cut me out and 'obey' rather than keep me in their life.

And just like a divorce, when you leave, there is bitterness. I sure found out that. Not from me, but from some who show their true "christian" qualities by lashing out at you for making this choice.

• core
    core
    And just like a divorce, when you leave, there is bitterness. I sure found out that. Not from me, but from some who show their true "christian" qualities by lashing out at you for making this choice.

Sad how people fall into camps when a marriage fails "his" "hers" - when the truth fails to hold you any longer it is even sadder that the love quickly turns to hate from those who remain dedicated to their God of Love. Many stick with a bad marriage 'for the childrens sake' - many stick with the truth because they cannot consider any alternative - as if duty is holding them in a trap -or even worse, they face the hostage potential of children/grandchildren who may be left behind . Minor childrens custody is a major issue when a marriage fails - very similar with the truth failing - the WT will fight tooth and nail to prevent you having access to old friends/relatives - sad but it only goes to show "by this you will know them that they have no love among themselves" (to paraphrase the famous verse)

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    So many choose to stay in a loveless/violent or broken down marriage (the borg) because the alternative is too awful to cope with.

Described my one of my in-law's marriage to a T. They can't stand each other and only work to make each other as miserable as they can, yet, they stay together because of the religion.

NOt a happy way to live.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit