Help! I'm getting ripped off

by Sassy 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Sassy
    Sassy

Yesterday I received a bill in the mail from National Car Rental for $2,000. I didn't get stressed out when I opened my mail last night because I assumed it was an error regarding payment for the rental and I had my ccard bill to show the payment going through. When I called this morning I learned they are trying to say we returned the car with damage. Evidentally someone must have run into it or something after the car was returned because they are claiming the side was scraped and dented. They are claiming to have pictures proving this damage. There was no damage when the car was returned. Has this ever happened to anyone? I must admit I am a little stressed about it. Is it possible for there to be damage to a car afterward and they can pin it on you even though it was fine when you dropped it off? How liable am I? I guess I need to call my insurance company and see if I am covered for anything. But if there was no damage while we had it, how can they claim there was? Help!

• amac
    amac

Were you present when the pictures were taken? If not, I'd write a letter back explaining that and tell them it obviously happened after you dropped the car off, but before they took the picture, and if they think otherwise they can take you to court.

If they charged your credit card for the $2K, call your CC and they are usually pretty good about helping out with stuff like that.

• Sassy
    Sassy

No, the pictures were taken after the car was returned. I wasn't even aware they were taken and I know there was no damage when the car was dropped off.

I will call the ccard company and see what they can tell me. Good idea. Thank you!

• simplesally
    simplesally

sns, When you returned the car, there is usually a check-in person. They compare the condition of the car to the way it left. They check the gas tank, the dings and dents, the interior, etc. They should have given you a return receipt when you turned it in.

• Sassy
    Sassy

There was paperwork, yes, and nothing was said about any damage of any kind (which there wasn't). Everything is being claimed after the car was dropped off.

If there was truly damage to a vehicle, wouldn't they want you to see it and show it to you so that before you left, so you had to admit guilt to the damage, that between when you took it, and when you returned it (so it was only in your possession) that any damage done would have had to have been on the fault of the renter? Other wise how can they hold you liable if they claim damage after you left. I have to wonder if someone returned their vehicle and ran into it or something? All I know is that the damage was not done when it was rented by me!

Wouldn't you know I didn't pick up the insurance they offer when renting the car. Maybe that is their scam? Get the ones who don't sign up for it?

• caspian
    caspian

A lot depends on the terms and conditions in the rental agreement that you signed.

I suggest a little piece of professional advice to be the next course of action.

Cas.

• shamus
    shamus

Contact your credit card company IMMEDIATELY and tell them what happened!

They may be able to help you!

• morty
    morty

sns,

I agree with the board.There should have been someone walking around with you when you returned the car,that as always been my experince.They cant ding your card for this after you leave.I would look into this more.They are trying to rip you off.I will pm you.

mortons68

• simplesally
    simplesally

S-

Call the manager, tell them you have paperwork and there was no damage when you dropped it off. Tell them your attorney told you to call and get this settled before he has to write a letter to their legal department. They are supposed to show you the damage and you're supposed to initial that and they are supposed to find out how you are going to rectify the matter.

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    There was paperwork, yes, and nothing was said about any damage of any kind (which there wasn't). Everything is being claimed after the car was dropped off.

If your return paperwork shows no damage to the vehicle, then you have every legal right to contest the charge with your credit card company. In my experience, most credit card companies are very cooperative with cardholders who dispute charges. I would submit a statement to your credit card company in writing, along with a copy of the paperwork you received from the rental agency that does not note any damage to the vehicle. Better to have your credit card company hash it out with the car rental agency rather than getting directly involved. Large corporations tend to pay more attention to charge disputes when made directly through the credit card company rather than through a private individual. Expect a resolution within two to three months -- these things often do not resolve themselves overnight.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit