Disassociation experiences please

by UnshackleTheChains 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

Hi everyone.

I would love to collate the experiences of those who decided to disassociate. The reason I am asking this question is that I have been in turmoil for a very long time as to whether I remain a fader or whether to bring closure on my membership with the watchtower organisation.

It is for this reason I would like to read about some of the experiences of those on this forum who went down the route of disassociation. If could answer the following

How long did it take you to decide to disassociate?

How has this impacted on you?

Has your mental health in any way been affected since you disassociated? Eg if being shunned by family.

Do any of your current JW relatives associate with you? And if so to what degree?

Do you feel your life is better now that you are completely free of the watchtower?

Do you ever get panic attacks about Armageddon or that you left "the truth"?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Do you feel your life is better now that you are completely free of the watchtower?

100 % I left more than 30 years ago and what I know of this lying immoral religious publishing house makes me feel even more relieved and thankful.

........and no I never feel frighten or afraid about the ancient mythological (fictional) Armageddon, It was just vehicle (fear) to control people toward the ongoing proliferation of the literature the WTS produced.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Back in the day disassociation wasn't an option. You wanted out and for it to be a permanent goodbye without shepherding calls or elder "drop ins", then disfellowshipping was the only route to take.

I'd been tempted to call it a day for quite a while. My JW parents were of the disapproving type no matter what I did, so they were never going to be sorely missed apart from the biological connection. Family visits were spent mainly discussing my many failings and how I should be doing much more of this or that. My then wife was totally nuts and also quite violent, something for which elders frequently counselled me - for allowing her to behave in such an unseemly manner.

Most importantly though was that I'd begun to stop believing. Despite one or two half-hearted attempts to rally round, I eventually admitted to myself that I just didn't enjoy witness activities one little bit. Ministry work, meetings, taking Bible studies etc etc, I would just watch the clock until it was time to go home.

There were a number of things occurred for which I could have been disfellowshipped. Eventually I was booted for associating with persons who had been disfellowshipped previously.

My life improved immeasurably within a year or two of my leaving. I was tricky for a while, but I hung on in there, refused to wear a victim hat and sorted my life out for the better.

• Simon
    Simon

Not long once I woke up to the fact that it was baloney and it didn't have to keep going. I wouldn't recommend anyone make hasty decisions though - a slow fade is definitely best for most people.

I've lost contact with what was then my immediate family - mother, sisters. Their choice. Their loss.

Has your mental health in any way been affected since you disassociated? Eg if being shunned by family.

It's greatly improved. I'm happier and feel free and have time to dedicate to my own endeavours whether that is work or hobbies or just watching TV - my time, my choice. I don't fear armageddon because I took the time to research things.

Do any of your current JW relatives associate with you? And if so to what degree?

Yes, not all families are as 'hard line' as mine. The degree that people shun seems to be a personal option as most people can chose the degree to which they are immersed in the JW culture and how far up the ladder they try to climb.

Absolutely. We have some really amazing close friends and best of all, whatever pain we went through meant we didn't just punt and give that pain to our children so we avoided them having a life in the religion and having to maybe make a painful choice at some point in the future. We gave them the gift of a more normal life.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

From the time I started my research and fully understood that the Watchtower was nothing but a lier, it took me two and a half months before I sent in my letter of dissociation, but it was not by my choice. It was my brother-in-law, who wanted to be an elder pushed the issue.

There has been pros and cons to this. First major con was I have family who is JWs that are second and third generation that I am not able to see. My mother was brought in by her cousin, who lied and told my mom that we would get to see my older sister again that died at a very young age. This was the 1975 lie.

The pro is that it got my toxic JW relatives out of my life, yes I know it sounds weird, but it's true. What I mean is that by being shunned it gave me time to take a step back and reflect on these people, and how manipulative some of them are, and my mother is a huge manipulator. She was the reason my husband nearly left me because she refused to back off in her control over me, regardless of how far I lived away from her. The control she had on me, she attempted many times on my husband.

Staying in that religion, no I call it for what it is, staying in that publishing company, was actually harder on both mine and my husband's mental health. They nearly drove my husband to suicide. The only reason he is still alive is that of my own personal experience with this, and I knew exactly what to look for. When I was 16, I nearly took my own life, and it was not for lack of trying. I'm only survived that for one reason, and that is because my younger sister had found me before my heart and breath stopped, and they were able to get me the needed medical treatment to save me. The ironic part was when the doctors were doing test on my blood work, they discovered if I had not attempted this, and was not brought in, I would have died in a matter of hours, it was not related to what I had done to myself.

As a JW, it was a whole lot harder on my mental health, because there was always something in the back of my mind that was not right, but I couldn't figure out what it was, until much later.

As far as being shunned now, I've been out since 2001, at first it was hard, and there are days it is still hard. Days, when you find out a loved one, has passed away, and four years have gone by before you find out, and you only find out because you stumble across an article on the internet.

I don't know what my JW side of the family told my non-JW relatives, but I don't have contact with them either. I know they had something to do with it because it nearly happened on my husband's side. They were saying awful lies about me and my husband, but my husband's relatives knew better of him.

From 2001 to 2008, yes there was some contact with my mom, and it was only through letters and phone calls. But it was only her way of trying to get me to come back. In December 2008, I finally had enough of her and cut her off. That was the only way I knew how to get her to stop her mind games on me. Those phone calls and letters were really messing with my heart and mind. There were times I thought I was going to have her back in my life, and then she would rip my heart out again and again.

Yes, very much so. Right after leaving the Watchtower, I was able to talk to a couple of different pastors, one of them being a former JW elder. They were able to prove to me things that I had been regretting my whole life as a JW was an unnecessary weight on my shoulders. It was the first time I was able to really forgive myself of past transgressions. What were those past transgressions you might ask, well they weren't anything serious. It was things like the tiny minor mistakes that we all make over the course of our lives. As a JW I could never let go of the past, I was my own worst judge, and jury towards myself.

This was something I wanted to make sure of first in those two and a half months while sorting through if that was even the "truth" or not. And to be honest with you, it did take me a very long time to finally shake free of the Watchtower's control over me. I can't even tell you the number of times I was going back and forth on what was right or not. There for a long time, I felt like the end of the system of things was still going to happen. Do I still believe that now? My answer to that is no. I don't get panic attacks about Armageddon. Even when I was a JW, I never thought I was good enough to survive that back then. The "truth", I refuse to call those liars that. Look at how many times they have flipped flopped back and forth on the same topics. How many of those times resulted in people dying, getting disfellowshipped, or getting their family totally in shambles because of those flip-flops.

This was the scripture that woke me up. According to Deuteronomy 18, using their own bible.

20. “‘If any prophet presumptuously speaks a word in my name that I did not command him to speak or speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. 21. However, you may say in your heart: “How will we know that Jehovah has not spoken the word?” 22. When the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word is not fulfilled or does not come true, then Jehovah did not speak that word. The prophet spoke it presumptuously. You should not fear him.’

1975 was not the only time they lied and told their people the end was coming, but 1975 was the lie that turned my own world upside down.

• AnonVet
    AnonVet

This comment got me thinking:

Back in the day disassociation wasn't an option. You wanted out and for it to be a permanent goodbye without shepherding calls or elder "drop ins", then disfellowshipping was the only route to take.

What if one were to, instead of disassociating, submit a letter of "voluntary permanent inactivity"?

It's not "disassociation", so what can they do? They don't consider inactive people the same as disassociated or disfellowshipped ones.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    • What if one were to, instead of disassociating, submit a letter of "voluntary permanent inactivity"?
      It's not "disassociation", so what can they do? They don't consider inactive people the same as disassociated or disfellowshipped ones.

It's an interesting thought. I suspect that such a person might be closely watched though for any signs of beviour that might warrant disfellowshipping.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

A few months after realising it was a corrupt organisation.

It was a clean break, very hard but looking back I think we couldn't have gone on much longer.

My husband and I were okay for two years then had a mental health blip. Then we recovered and got on with getting more education and pulling ourselves out of the poverty trap of pioneering

No, we see them at funerals. I have a great-nephew I've never met.

Oh goodness, yes, I would have died in that cult. We got degrees, decent jobs, travelled, had a baby, bought a little house. I'm so glad we got out when we were quite young. I was thirty and my husband was thirty-four. Our little girl had a great childhood, birthday parties, Christmas, friends, sleepovers. I hated school, being made to stand out, she loved it. We both relived our childhood in a way through her happiness and it helped us catch up on what we missed out on.

No, never. Not for a moment.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The reason I am asking this question is that I have been in turmoil for a very long time as to whether I remain a fader or whether to bring closure on my membership with the watchtower organisation.

The last time I walked out of a Kingdum Hall realizing it was all bunch of bullshit was enough "closure" for me. I don't need to follow the direction of the GB &/or Service Dept and comply with putting anything in writing to make their lives easier or to give THEM closure.

As a result of that decision (to only fade), there has been significantly less impact than others have had. The majority of our JW family members associate with us. Those that do not, would not do so even if we were PIMI (and we wouldn't associate with them either). Additionally, we are not openly shunned by most of our (former conditional) JW friends. Not many seek us out, but all that we care about have no issue talking to us.

You're still a slave to the Cult if you're still "playing by their rules". (JMHO)

• new boy
    new boy
    • How long did it take you to decide to disassociate?

I had some doubts after Bethel. But because of family and friends I was locked in for another 20 years, by 1995 I realized it was total bull shit. By 2001 six years later I left after being in for over 50 years.

I lost my wife of 27 years and sister. Throw in all the friends I ever knew.

That's a good question because many here on this web site think I'm nuts but I would have to say, no because my kids left too.

No, The only family member I have left is a sister.

Absolutely. It's like asking is it better now that you have left Nazis Germany.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit