Are Jehovah's Witnesses REALLY Welcomed Here?

by minimus 88 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

In view of the fact that there are mostly ex-Witnesses on this forum, the question is," Are JW's truly welcomed here?". It seems to me that if a poster supports the Witnesses in any way, that they will know about it. (I have been guilty of coming down hard on a few pro-Witnesses). Do you think we only encourage those that speak negatively about the organization? Personally, I believe, this forum is to discuss JW issues and how they might affect us. I really don't like to see JW's coming on here for the expressed purpose of disrupting our "unity".

• franklin J
    franklin J

This is a very interesting point.

I came to this website thinking it was all ex JWs like myself. There would be support and like minded thinking since we all shared the same experiences.

I know all too well how Jehovahs Witnesses think . As a rule, I do not want to get into any discussions with them , because no matter how well articulated or reasonable an argument I can make---to them, it will ALWAYS be wrong.

However, it is a free world and a free website---if they are here--what possible harm could they do? To me, nothing.

I say, let them come, they might get lucky and actually learn something.

• rocketman
    rocketman

I don't mind them being here. Do they, as a group, get welcomed? I guess it depends.

Some jws and jw apologists discuss (argue?) points fairly, and some don't, just like any other group. There were some pro-jws here like You Know who, though a bit eccentric, gave reasoned discussion a pretty good shot. I noticed that many people discussed (argued?) matters with him, but I think in general they respected him and were able to sharpen their own discussion (argumentation?) skills in such discussions.

There are some jws though that come here to mostly judge and condemn. Anyone who came here with such an attitude would quickly feel unwelcomed, I think, and perhaps rightfully so.

But the bottom line in my view is, as Franklin J just said, this board is a free site, so I'm not one to want to kick them out. If they bother me, I just ignore them, and I'm also thankful in a way that their judgemental attitude shows their religion up for what it really is.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

It seems to me that if a JW comes here and is seeking information they are more than welcome.

I think most people have a hard time with those who come to prove they are right. And I think the antigonism they experience from some posters only proves what the WTS has said about us - we are nasty demon possessed losers.

If we ever hope to help some of them I think we need to show them that leaving the organization is not a death sentence. That we have happy lives. That we have suffered at the hands of this merciless organization. But leaving has not turned us into bitter people who have lost out on something wonderful.

As long as that is the face we show them they will never "get it" and "get out"

If we are nasty (as some of them are) then we just prove that they do indeed have "the truth"TM

JMO

• berylblue
    berylblue

Rocketman, always the voice of calm reason.

You must have been a good elder.

• minimus
    minimus

Anyone that agrees with the Witnesses and is new to the board quickly gets called a "troll". Some that are 50-50 on their views of support are also given a backlash at times. I think that generally speaking, JW's are less welcomed if they try to promote their doctrine, right??

• Swan
    Swan

I always try to welcome anyone new. Many JWs come here looking for something. I don't even know if they know what they are seeking by being here. I think many are still in denial.

When JW apologists get on their high horse, I just tend to state my opinion and then shut up. If you don't argue with them, it sure takes the wind out of their sails real fast. I just keep in mind that they are the ones breaking their own rules by being here and speaking to us, so I let them say what they believe they believe. It must be really important to them to try and refute us. I feel that they are waging a war against their own doubts. I try to give them the space they need to work through their issues and before joining us. Several regulars on this board were once very pro-JW when they first posted here.

Then there are also JWs who have issues with something in the Borganization, but who can't understand why we would ever do things like celebrate Christmas, vote, take a blood transfusion, etc. These no-nos are so ingrained in them that we seem very alien to them. They may be disillusioned about one issue, say the UN scandal, or the pedophile issue, but can never picture themselves ever celebrating their child's birthday or watching an R rated movie. They tend to be very judgmental of us, but I try to keep in mind that they are still looking at us through Borg colored glasses.

Tammy

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

I think by now alot know here I am "pro-JW" I've learnt that so long as I keep my posts "fluffy" as they mostly are coz I'm a bit daft!.....then I'm welcomed. If I do post anything pro-jw in keeping with how I might feel about a subject or topic then I know that a very few will be objective, the majority will slam me. That remains the nature of this forum. It is a forum for "ex-jws" after all. I learnt to remind myself of that a while back. And before I get slammed or pityied again, I'm only replying to the question of this post.

NO "Jehovah's Witnesses" are not really welcomed here. Not by a long shot. Now are doubting JWs welcome here? well thats a different subject altogether!!

• rocketman
    rocketman

Thanks berylblue!

• minimus
    minimus

I think if anyone comes here as a rabid JW defender, they will get their ass kicked. But if a JW tries to support the Watchtower, many here enjoy the challenge of proving them wrong. Sadly, there aren't too many very good JW apologists around anymore. The best we get now, is, someone just spouting JW rhetoric.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit