do you see what i see?

by New Eyes 11 Replies latest jw friends

• New Eyes
    New Eyes

LICENSED & REGISTERED SHIPPERS 1999-2000 SEASON

The Watchtower Society is a licensed Citrus-Shipper in Florida

WATCHTOWER BIBLE & TRACT SOCIETY OF FLORIDA, INC.
    East 2nd Street Extension, Lehigh Acres, FL 33936 * PHONE: 941-369-1977 * FAX: 941-369-3245

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
    Division of Fruit and Vegetables
    Winter Haven, FL

The following licenses have been issued from
    August 1,2000 thru May 2, 2001

738 WATCHTOWER BIBLE & TRACT SOCIETY OF FLORIDA, INC City: Lehigh Acres Bound Amount: 5,000

• New Eyes
    New Eyes

The Watchtower's Car Salesmen!

In need of a second-hand car? Why not buy one of the luxory cars used by the Watchtower's hot-shots?

"Circuit Leasing Corporation is pleased to offer good quality vehicles at affordable prices. All of our vehicles are very clean, smoke free, regularly maintained, dependable, full size four-door vehicles." This is what is promised on the website of the "Circuit Leasing Company".

Kent Steinhaug

And they promise you luxory cars as well:

"The Spacious six-passenger cabin is extremely quiet at highway speeds. Comfortable, contoured seating joins with the smooth Dyna-RideĀ® suspension and the easily accessed wrap-around instrument panel to put the driver at ease and inspire a secure feeling in passengers.

3800 Series II
    3.8 liter V6 engine
    205 horsepower & 230 lb-ft torque EPA MPG: 19-City/30-Highway Uses Regular Unleaded Gas

55/45 three-person split bench
    with power-driver's and passenger's seat

AM & FM Stereo,
    Cassette/CD player
    w/ Concert Sound II
    6-speaker system"

The "poor servants" of the Watchtower does not pay tax, and they don't earn no money. But they can afford driving luxory cars, payed by their members. Why not biy one of them?

• New Eyes
    New Eyes

The Watchtower as Real-Estate Agents

It seems the Watchtower is more and more a commercial multinational corporation, and now they are into real estate as well - buying and selling.

West Palm Beach commissioners approved the $12.5 million sale of the 72-acre municipal stadium and arena on Palm Beach Lakes Boulevard to Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York. Brokers were Don Breaux of Breaux, Rey & Associates and Lewis Manesiotis of Hollywood Beach Realty. The buyer, the Jehovah's Witnesses, plans to refurbish the arena and hopes to sell a 21-acre commercial tract for $8.3 million and a 23-acre residential site for $6.5 million.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Is this the seed bearing fruit?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

Freedom is not having to wear a tie.

• XJWBill
    XJWBill

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society--OF FLORIDA????!!!!

Obviously, there've been a few developments since I left in 1977.

But why the heck would the WTBTS want to get into the citrus-shipping business? Especially since they don't serve meals at assemblies any more.

BTW, is anyone else as shocked (yeah, right) as I am at the names of the new corporations--the "Christian Congregation" and the "Religious Order" of Jehovah's Witnesses? Back when I was a publisher, they would have sounded way too much like "Christendom" for comfort.

Bill

"If we all loved one another as much as we say we love God, I reckon there wouldn't be as much meanness in the world as there is."--from the movie Resurrection (1979)

• New Eyes
    New Eyes

WTS, Money & Honesty

I recently learned some very interesting things about the Watchtower Society's cash position. They are cash-rich at this time and are quietly going about toning down some of the rather underhanded means they've used to achieve that position.

Posted by AF [AF] on September 15, 2000 at 12:12:36 {ytkgB1hrLUOcJanSyCRUdaOt1gg/Zk}:

When the WTS went to the literature donation arrangement in some of the wealthy countries back around 1991, they lost a major source of cash flow. The same thing happened a few years later when they stopped the food service at circuit and district assemblies. However, they wrote strongly worded letters to bodies of elders instructing them to make up for the lost cash flow. This has gradually been successful, so much that the WTS has more than made up for the losses.

Today the typical amount of cash sent free and clear to the WTS, generated in the U.S. at district assemblies, amounts to about $12 per attendee. At the four Washington State assemblies at the Tacoma Dome, for example, this amounted to about $120,000 for each assembly. Remember -- this is cash free and clear after all assembly expenses have been paid. With about 1 million JWs in the U.S. this works out to about $12 million dollars in contributions directly to the WTS from this summer's district conventions, from the U.S alone.

In order to generate this revenue the WTS has, during the 1990s, used a number of schemes to generate more contributions. Some are upfront and some are quite underhanded. Many on this forum know about the Tacoma Dome parking lot scandal, and this is typical of the underhandedness of the WTS. The negotiation of rental contracts for these public meeting places is quite an art, and the WTS is expert at draining the last penny from city officials. No problem here, except when they tell city officials one thing and the JW community another. One of the perks often thrown in to get the rental business is for the city to split the parking lot proceeds with the renter. Parking at these domes usually runs $4-$5 per car in the U.S. The Society negotiated with the Tacoma city officials that parking lot fees would not be charged, and so gave the impression that parking would be free. However, bodies of elders were sent a letter instructing them to sell parking tickets for about $4 apiece to all JWs. Neither the elders nor the JW community were informed that the Society had already told the city of Tacoma that parking was to be free. Thus, the WTS lied to the JW community, and collected money for parking via normal contributions. The few elders who knew the truth were instructed to keep all this secret, so that neither the JW community nor the Tacoma city officials would know of their underhandedness. Actually this scam is pulled wherever the Society can get away with it, generating lots more money for itself. Thank goodness one former JW official had the guts to expose this scam to the newspapers in Seattle.

The WTS is heavily invested in the stock market and so the runup in stock prices during the 90's has given it plenty of money. Of course, the average JW is absolutely sure that the WTS is not invested in Satan's nasty old system of things. Today they are trying to dispose of the extra cash by dispensing it around the world. One such channel is by applying in the United Kingdom for charitable status for a so-called "Kingdom Hall Fund", which is to be used to channel "charitable contributions" to whatever "charity" the WTS desires -- in this case, its own Branch Offices. What they are doing is trying to use a loophole in British law to get around various laws in various countries about not allowing non-charitable funds outside the country of origin.

The WTS is extremely frugal with its money but not with that of JWs as a whole. One example is the way they distribute Watchtower and Awake! magazines to subscribers. In the U.S. postal rates for magazines are low compared to most of the world, and so the WTS uses the U.S. Post Office to mail the magazines to subscribers. But in most of the world postal rates are relatively high, and so the WTS has instructed local JWs to run around distributing the magazines. Of course, this is a real inconvenience both to the JWs and to subscribers. The JW substitute-postmen must spend time and money doing what the Post Office can do much cheaper. The subscribers get hit-or-miss delivery of this important spiritual food. Of course, the important thing is that the Society save a bit of money.

Another example has again to do with renting assembly facilities. If city officials won't give the WTS the rental rate it thinks it ought to have, it will often pull out altogether. Sometimes this results in thousands of JW families having to travel hundreds more miles to get to an assembly, and having to shell out hundreds of extra dollars to pay for lodging, travel and meals out. This often amounts to more than $500 per family. Suppose at one assembly this means that 2000 families must spend that money. That means that the JW community is forced to spend $1 million, which might save the WTS $1000 in rental fees. You can see the kind of unbalanced thinking that is behind such ludicrous decisions.

Many critics complain that Watchtower leaders are quite unconcerned about Jehovah's Witnesses as individuals. The above information is one proof that this is true. They are far more concerned with making themselves look good to their peers -- meaning other WTS officials -- and perhaps to God, although it is clear by their dishonest and underhanded dealings that they really can't care what God thinks, or they would be honest in everything. They must think that God, like them, cares more about money and "getting the job done" than about individuals.

Today the WTS is lessening the burden of contributions demanded of congregations. They have instituted policies of charging lower interest on the congregation's own money that it contributed to the Society for Kingdom Hall building, of charging less money for insurance and such for Circuit Overseers, and a number of minor things. I have little doubt that public exposure of their underhandedness has helped this to occur.

AF

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Listen gumps. Don't you guys want some citrus or not? If not, then SHUT UP!!!

• sf
    sf

Hello New Eyes,

Nice to "meet" you. You said:> "They are cash-rich at this time and are quietly going about toning down some of the rather underhanded means they've used to achieve that position."

What I'd like to ask you is if you know of or remember ever hearing or seeing any documentation pertaining to the stockholdings the WTS has/had with RAND ENERGY CORP? Let me explain what I am talking about, and perhaps others too may have said docs...

About a year ago or under, over on the first H20 forum, a poster, and I was sure it was Kent; however, I've asked him about the docs too and he does not recall, brought up three pages from 10KWIZARD search engine (filing blurbs, view filings and the main page of the stockholdings WTS had). I bookmarked them only then because I was not as advanced in how to save documents as I have become now. So I did not "save" them or print them out. As I had no printer either.
    Well, as bookmarked, I was taking these three pages and plastering them all over jw sites and chatrooms. People couldn't understand how and why WTS held 57% stock in a company such as thisin the first place. I had successfully been able to cut/ paste actual text from the blurbs and take people directly to view them. However, now they are gone! And no WTS shows up in the search engine whatsoever. I've put all names, even the "restructured" names of the org.

Can you help recover these? And does anyone else have them saved that you may know of?

Sincerely, sKally/ "wturls" (wtURLs) on yahoo messenger voice chat

• New Eyes
    New Eyes

hi sf

i'm sorry i don't have them but if i find anything good i'll post it here for you.

• sf
    sf

In much appreciation, sKally

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit