The Russian letters

by purrpurr 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Onager
    Onager

I agree with tiki. I can't imagine a scenario where this has a positive effect on the situation.

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

Whether Putin reads these letters or not, its achieving the purpose of GB as stated in their press release: "The Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses wants to heighten attention to this critical situation”

https://www.jw.org/en/news/releases/by-region/russia/jw-mobilize-global-response-to-threat-of-ban/

Literally all JW's and Ex-Jw's are speaking about this letter writing campaign.

JW's are using all of their time and effort to write and post letters. (Yesterday, my local congregation (India) of 40 publishers sent 210 letters to Moscow through courier and 50 letters to the local Russian embassy. Another mammoth letter writing session planned tomorrow)

While Ex-Jw's are using all their time to discuss about this and the possible things that Putin will do with these letters coming in. 5 topics in the first two pages of this forum itself!

In any scenario, whether JW's get banned or not, this situation is surely getting all the attention that it requires.

• keinlezard
    keinlezard

Hello,

As the letters are wrote to members of Russian Government ... this kind of action can be see as an political lobbying but ... JW must be "neutral" regarding the political action !

Another thing , is as they must respect "all government as they are in place by the will of God" how can they

could try to force a governement to influe a judicial decision ???

JW ( formely the GB ) see they did not believe to the power separation : judicial and political.

And maybe the last thing ... GB believe really that write to Putine could change the final decision ???

I believe rather than Poutine will become more anger against JW ... then the final result could be worse for Russian witnesses ...

At last, it seem that GB play a dangerous game only to be like "martyr" and to says "we are prosecuted" ...

the only thing that the GB could make to forgive the pedophiles trials and commision ...

Then JW looks in direction of Russian ban ... and not in australia for example :(

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi,

Someone asked what is in the letters...I think they are going to place the brochure....:"Return to Jehovah".

Wonder how many letters were sent to Australia from x-witnesses....if witnesses can write letters to draw attention to something why can't x-witnesses do the same...I do understand if you have family still in and don't want to rock the boat but there are so many who have left and may never return and say they are finished with the org....but by writing their experiences they may can help someone...

There may not be 8 million non-witnesses/or x-witnesses but what they have to say is more important for present witnesses that could also save their lives....those that know ttatt can saves lives as well...

Tor

• stillin
    stillin

I mentioned to my wife that there may be some job openings for interpreters. Somebody will have to read each and every letter aloud in the Russian language to Vladimir.

She said, "Everybody speaks English these days."

She has never appreciated my sarcasm.

• dozy
    dozy

I think it is a stupid ,. reckless idea that could easily backfire , just like the letters to Hitler did in 1933. All Rutherford succeeded in doing then was unleash a frenzy of persecution - pouring petrol on the fire. ( Not that he gave too hoots , sitting sunning himself in his San Diego mansion - it was the JWs in Germany that got the backlash. )

There isn't any easy way to deal with Putin and his thugs but probably the best way to deal with this is to try to work through the court system , work through groups like Amnesty International and try to get some support from other marginal churches , and make some concessions ( such as not openly publicly proselytising ) and make the same noises about blood that pacified the Bulgarian government.

The worst way to deal with it is to get millions of JWs to fire off letters.It's just a really stupid move.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Thankfully my uber dub mother thinks it is a stupid idea and wont be participating in any letter writing campaign, her reasoning was it is meddling in what may be big Js will as well as politics.

Good on you for binning them, I'd have shredded or burnt them just to be safe though.

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

ANNOUCEMENT FROM THE PUTIN GOVERMENT

"The Government of Russia cannot address the Jehovah's Witnesses situation now, as President Putin has decided to read each and every letter sent to him by the Jehovah's Witnesses throughout the world. This being the case, Mr. Putin promises to take a second look at the ban on Jehovah's Witnesses in 10 months."

"It is of note, however, that MR. Putin will not begin this work straight away, seeing as how the crowds are massing in the streets and this will require his immediate attention"

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I'm surprised Jehovah(tm) didn't intervene. How odd is that?

Well, if old invisible, imaginary sky magician won't help, why don't the actual members of the Governing body not seek audience with some Russian bigwigs that could get into dialog with them?

....oh, wait, sorry...........................................

the case as put forth by the WBT$ isn't the reality.......I keep forgetting about 'theocratic warfare strategy(tm)'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit