A question to the English and Canadians about tipping?

by Maverick 43 Replies latest social current

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

But the machine must be programmed to create the tip line on the slip. Starbucks, for example, has a tip jar but avoids printing the tip line on CC slips. Reduces their paperwork.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Mav-

Sorry hun, I didn't feel you disrespected me; and I am proud to be SuperWaitress!!

• Simon
    Simon

Tipping isn't big in the UK ... wanna example?

At a restaurant I provided my credit card and crisp £5 note on the tray when the bilI arrived with a 'thank you very much'. Back came the credit card slip to sign with the amount less £5 on it . They don't expect it to be a tip (this has happened on several occasions ... we always leave a tip)

What are you supposed to do? Givge the money when they take your card, give it when they come back or just leave it on the table (I always worry someone will come up and nab it).

I normally tip the barber (or erm ... "barbette") ... been going there for years and they make a decent job of my permanent pillow-head look (some people have a bad-hair day, I'm having a bad-hair life)

I tip taxi drivers on the odd times we use them (and a fair bit) plus the guy who delivers our Kebabs (hey, I wouldn't like to be out late at night visiting houses).

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

E-man, either/or is fine.

Where I work, if someone starts a tab with a VISA, there's a spot on the credit slip that says: TIPS.

People write in what they'd like to give, and then total it up, taking their customer copy.

My bartender (manager) always gives me the tip, and if we both served the same customer, we split it.

Cash is what I get 95% of the time, but credit card gratuities are appreciated.

I've had people give me subway tokens for tips: I accept them.

Also, I've had someone give me a gift certificate for a store near where I work (For a tip), I thought that was awesome, and it was for $20 CDN.

Keep in mind, sometimes you'll enter a place, and the place may be understaffed (not the waitstaff's fault) and more often than not it's: kill the messenger. Thus, the waitstaff get bilked of a tip, because they are stretched beyond their physical means, while the upper eschilons of management sit back and 'cut costs' to improve their billfold thickness.

I have complained to managers directly when this happens. They immediately point to the waitstaff, and then I tell them to point the finger back at themselves. Scapegoating doesn't work when you've worked in the biz.

There are waitstaff/bartenders/servers here in Toronto, that I constantly go back to, as they are not only exceptional, but they really do LOOK AFTER you.

I have a loyal clientele, and they're from every walk of life and ethnic background.

From what I've experienced E-man, waitstaff do get their tips from the credit card payments.

Enjoy your trip.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit