I cringe when I think about the talks I gave.

by James Mixon 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

You brothers who gave talks do you thinks about the crap you spoke from the platform.

Thirty years old, no knowledge what so ever of the world we live in, barely making the grade

to graduate from high school, a year and half in JC college and now with schooling of JW higher

education I thought I was a hell of a speaker. Half of the time I had no idea what I was talking about.

The outline provided by GB didn't leave room for research on the topic, Evolution no idea, dates for

the end time ( like a deer in headlights), marriage (I was dealing with my own problems).

I feel so embarrass when I think about that time. The Wt makes a person full of themselves.....

• Anders Andersen
  • xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

Yeah I would really speak with conviction from the platform. I would wonder though, as I noticed some of the reaction in the audience, why weren't more people moved by what I was saying? I was talking about our love for God and how lives were involved yada yada. Now I know...

Now I think back and feel sympathy for the "awake" people in the audience or the exhausted people that had to deal with all my idealistic preachiness.

I hate those young know-it-all idiots now.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    Been there done that.
  • ttdtt
    ttdtt

Anders - wow that describes every elder in my congregation!

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which relatively unskilled persons suffer illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability to be much higher than it really is.
  • Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

@Ttdtt:

It describes almost any elder in any congregation.

It describes almost every Jdub.

It described me when I was still in, thinking I knew so much about God, the Bible, and science. I'm still baffled by the sheer ignorance that presented itself as expertise.

There is a reason the GB and regular JW trudge on....and this is it. If they would be aware of how little they actually know, they'd cry their heart out.

The few who know they don't know jack (like the guys that wrote the Insight books) either leave or kill their own minds with increasing zeal just to silence their inner voice saying "WTF ARE YOU DOING!"

• compound complex
    compound complex

Likewise, our supposed authority granted by Scripture put us out there as a 'theatrical spectacle to men and angels.' I am a ham and loved being special.

Jehovah used us to shake up the arrogant of the world, those who had already found paradise; He used us to comfort those 'who were sighing and crying' . . .

He did, didn't He?

CC

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

That's why it's so taxing with JW family members, at times you want to cry out, you

don't know sh---t.... But you understand their mindset you shake your head and think,

they no not what they teach.

• kairos
    kairos

I have file on my computer that contain ALL of my talks that I have prepared over the years.

I don't have what it takes to review them.

Too painful.

• compound complex
    compound complex

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." --Bertrand Russell

[link provided by Anders Andersen]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit