workplace woe(s) - your opinion sought

by DFWnonJW 11 Replies latest jw friends

• DFWnonJW
    DFWnonJW

I work in a very small shop and the secretary has been the owner's mother-in-law. Sadly, she has been in the hospital for the past couple of weeks and in fact the family was summoned to the hospital late this afternoon and apparently she doesn't have long to live. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

So, with all this going on and in everyone's mind, we are in need of a secretary. One was hired for temp but lasted less than a week and then quit. This brings me to a dilemma of sorts...

A coworker is trying to get one of his girlfriends the job but isn't being honest with the owner (nothing new there) in telling that there's something more between them than just 'a friend from church'. See, this guy is married and has several women on the side. No, his wife doesn't know (not bad for a Deacon eh?). Going from what he's said of this g/f, she would not be much help and I just see trouble coming to an already stressed situation. This guy is slacker enough as it is and this would only make it worse IMO. Trouble is that I recently went to the boss about another problem and was told "It could be worse. Some guys show up drunk or don't show up at all sometimes..." So I asked if he could at least stress the importance of our doing quality work to which he agreed - didn't happen and no changes seen.

The Q: So I am just wondering if, from what I've written here (and there's lot's more of course), would I be out of line if I informed the boss about the real relationship between my coworker and the prospective secretary? I'm inclined to say nothing and let the paperwork fall where it may, especially knowing that other's have gone to the boss about this guy before and the boss defended and made excuses for him instead of doing anything about the problem(s).

Just curious what some of you might do in such a situation.

• Ghosthunter
    Ghosthunter

Working in a small shop, it is very hard to be "politically correct" as the same laws don't apply to small companies as they do to larger companies.

If it were me, I would discreetly tell the owner about the relationship and suggest that you should hire a temp from another agency in the hopes that she/he would work out better than the last temp. If you don't feel comfortable about telling the owner about the whole thing, then just strongly suggest a temp just in case the regular receptionist gets better and comes back to work. Bottom line, whatever the size of the office, you don't need that kind of sh*t as it will turn out to be a cancer in your office.

Trust me. I work in Human Resources!

GH

• Happythoughts
    Happythoughts

Sounds like my job! I wouldn't say a word. Obviously your words mean little to your boss, why bother bringing it up. I tried the same thing with my boss....I knew we could have a wonderful and very successful work environment....in the end nothing changed. Now I just sit back and giggle to myself when things get messed up....in the mean time looking for a better job.

Good luck!

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

DFW -

Tough call. Here's a question for you. This is a one secretary office, right? I would imagine she did more such as payroll or payables. If so, then someone from a reputable agency would be best.

Is it possible that the position could be filled by someone working Part-time? I'm an executive assistant. Or was till I was laid off. Maybe I can help you.

Lisa

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Workplace woes -- yup!!

It would be downright demoralizing to have that woman come to work in your office, IMHO...

Cancer -- as another posted noted.

Ick!

My 2 cents -- there are very good temporary employees out there. A bad experience with one does not mean the next one will be a dud. There are career temps who just love coming into a place and make their presence known in a positive and productive way! More than that, they leave a darn good impression by the time they move into their next assignment!

I know -- because I used to be a temp, and that is how I got offered my permanent position!

Wishing you all the best with your situation, DFW!!!

pssst! hire arrowstar!!!

ESTEE

• avishai
    avishai

I'd just say it's an explosion waiting to happen & it would be bad & unprofessional to risk that kind of blow up at work, as well as the fact that workplace relationships, even "moral" ones can backfire & cause problems which result in lost proficiency, & especialy at this time, that is not what your CO. needs.

• DFWnonJW
    DFWnonJW

Thanks for your replies everyone. At least I see I was looking at the whole thing rightly - which is to say it's got trouble written all over it. The lady in the hospital, Betty, isn't expected to live through the weekend so next week is going to be pretty trying. I'll have a chat with the boss though at an opprotune moment just so he knows what he's really getting. Then if that's what he wants, fine.

Arrow, I'll also mention that you might be interested so he'll know there are other options. I'll let you know something as soon as I know something.

• donkey
    donkey

Is she good-looking?

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

He's a deacon & he has a wife & many mistresses? Me thinks somebody should fill ms. girlfriend in on the fact that she aint the only girlfriend, then tell your boss. Don't need those kind of complicatons mudding up the work environment! Course, I'm not always nice, and in fact am a chicken, so probably wouldn't have the nerve to actually do it.

Do the right thing,,,whatever that means to you I suppose.

• DFWnonJW
    DFWnonJW

Just a quick update (not that anyone's keeping up with this though).

Betty passed away last Saturday evening and her funeral was today. As was noted during the service this morning, you could describe her best with just one word, sweet. That's what everyone thought of her and she and I got along quite well and like everyone else, I'll miss her too. Her family is pretty broken up now and that was hard to see. I've been working there for 5 1/2 years and this is the 3rd person at the shop to pass away. The original owner, Jack (a Pearl Harbor survivor), the other part time secretary Opal, and now Betty. It really has become like family in some ways and this is just part of being family I guess.

Death sucks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit