My Book With Bible Stories - 91 stories of murder and rape to be used as bedtime stories for your little children

by Anders Andersen 27 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

So at my parent-in-law's home my 2 year old child presented me with a 'My Book With Bible Stories'.

"Will you read me this book daddy?"
    No honey, daddy doesn't like this book. Do you have a nice book we can read?

As far as I know my wife and I agree this book would be off-limits. Apparently not.
    So I'll have to bring this topic up once again, and I did a quick check on the stories to back my argument.
    Well I knew it's a bad book, but I was surprised anyway.

• General mention of death: 35x
    • Death penalty: 14x
    • (Attempted) Murder: 19x
    • General violence: 7x
    • Rape: 2x
    • Slavery: 1x
    • War/genocide: 12x
    • Abduction: 1x

Total number of stories wholly inappropriate for children: 91 out of 116, or 78%
    Only 25 stories where nobody dies, is murdered, or raped.

FYI I have been quite generous while counting: each story is only counted once. A story that contains all of violence, rape, murder and genocide is counted in only 1 category.
    The total number of occurrences of topics inappropriate for children is even higher!

Fuck me, this book is a big no-go for my baby girl!

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

It's a horrible book published by a horrible org that should come with an R rating - what else is there to say.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Looking at this book just before I was about to give it to my pre-school little grandchildren is what finally got me to wake me up.

I only wished I had looked at that evil book with those same eyes when our own dear children were little....

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

Well... to be fair, all the items you mention are in the original fairy-tales that we have come to love through animation and digital media, through Disney, Dreamworks, and Pixar. Those tales were actually pretty gruesome, which is why I always liked the originals, and fall right in line with our own bedtime stories from our 'Book of Bible Stories'. The big difference is that most people in the world got the watered down or white-washed version of their stories while we got the original... but perverted for a different course.

• Chook
    Chook

The yellow nuclear sub is the my book of bible stories, hand crafted missiles for vulnerable children. Fear starts early , she bear eats kids for calling an adult a baldly head . My kids would of got eaten within weeks of Learning speech.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

@jwundubbed,

I agree: those topics also often appear in fairy-tales and many Disney movies.
    But we wouldn't read our little girl those stories yet either!

Nor do we allow her to see/hear the TV news - too much talk about death and violence going on there for 2 year olds.

Children at that age need to play and have fun; they needn't be bothered with mentioning death and violence every day!

• smiddy
    smiddy

The difference here being , one ,Disney etc, is promoted as a fairy tale a story not to be taken literal .

However the other :

My Book Of Bible Stories is portrayed as being history and actual fact that is going to befall humankind because of what has occured beforehand and will occur again as fullfilled bible prophecy

And is stated as the word of GOD ,putting the fear of God in children.

Jehovahs Witnesses used to accuse the RC Church of putting the fear of God into believers saying they will burn in hell if they didnt follow the catholic churches teachings.

Jehovahs Witnesses are no different they put the fear of God in them that they will suffer everlasting death if they dont obey the Governing Body members /the faithful and discreet slave that they claim they are,

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I was thankful that before I did my "real" investigation of the JW, when my husband was heading back in head first, he got the book of bible stories from his mother to read to our young daughter. I was clueless as to what was in it, thinking a book of bible stories couldn't be a bad thing. He actually walked out after only just beginning the book nd said he put it down and picked up "give a mouse a cookie" instead, because that book of bible stories was " too gruesome" and he didn't remember it being so graphically gruesome so he didn't like to read it to her.

I give my husband credit for recognizing this and stopping the reading of that book. I picked it up after wards and was alarmed at the content. .

• zeb
    zeb

As my then wife said it means "do as you are told or else".

I recall the only ones praising this horrid book were those with out kids.

• fulano

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit