Can Jws get a stem cell transplant?

by greenhornet 7 Replies latest watchtower medical

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

I have a friend of mine who is a JW is getting one. Its sad. Its going to be sad if he is going to be destroyed by Jehovah for doing this.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think its sad in this day and age that people still think the ancient Hebrew god YHWH actually exists or existed.

Either way Jah likes it when people die for him, its probably because he's a bit insecure.

Doing so makes him feel big, powerful and omnipresent like the leaders of the JWS.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Anything goes as long as it doesn't included whole blood or as long as it's only stem cell fractions!

just saying!

• St George of England
    St George of England

I would have thought it is just like any organ transplant, a personal decision these days. Gone are the days of considering transplants as cannibalism.

George

• Confusedandangry
    Confusedandangry

Yes, but I think it depends where you live. My sister was prohibited from having blood transfusions when she became ill. But she was allowed a stem cell transplant once she was relocated to a bigger fancy hospital. She lived for about 1 year after the procedure.

Best wishes to your friend.

• blondie
    blondie

There is no mention about stem cell transplants in WTS publications. But I found these comments.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29795417

Tandem autologous transplants are generally the preferred therapy for newly diagnosed intermediate- and high-risk myeloma patients. More Jehovah's Witnesses (JW) are receiving single autologous peripheral blood stem cell transplants (PBSCTs). However, tandem autologous transplants have not been reported in JW patients.

http://www.bloodjournal.org/content/124/21/3976?sso-checked=true

Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation without Hematopoietic Support for the Treatment of Hematological Malignancies in 125 Jehovah’s Witnesses

High dose chemotherapy (HDC) followed by Autologous stem cell transplant (ASCT) has been shown to provide curative benefit in patients with relapsed lymphoma and multiple myeloma, often times requiring hematopoietic support until marrow engraftment. Due to Jehovah's Witnesses (JW), refusal of blood products treatment challenges arise.....(the rest of the article is an explanation how to treat jws)

https://www.ascopost.com/issues/november-25-2017/a-pioneer-in-bloodless-transplant-discusses-advances-in-blood-management/

There are many more articles with a good search "Can jehovah's witnesses have a stem cell transplant"

----italicized part is probably why jws can take it as cell as from a single lot from the patient being treated.

The primary difference between allogeneic and autologous are the source of the cells for the therapy. Allogeneic therapies are manufactured in large batches from unrelated donor tissues (such as bone marrow) whereas autologous therapies are manufactured as a single lot from the patient being treated.

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

Thank you for everyone's comments. I don't know the rules anymore in JW land. I find it sad that good people have to die because of the whims of 8 men in NY, plus they might change there mind on your medical health.

• DomineIvimus-DI
    DomineIvimus-DI

Here is the “rule” -

Matthew 12:3-7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit