Still dont get the friggin birthdays

by nowawake14 40 Replies latest jw friends

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i never celebrate birthdays. i'm too mean to send a card.

• LV101
    LV101

Birthdays mean spending money buying gifts, cakes, etc., and the cult wants that money plus the time/effort that goes into them. Wasn't it ole Rutherfraud the rat-fraud who killed birthdays -- the charlatan powers of today are of the same ilk.

• rockemsockem
    rockemsockem

I think what it comes down to is the same reasoning as Mothers and fathers day. They don't want people focusing on the individual. When you focus on the individual you don't focus on the religion.

• LV101
    LV101

Cults require exclusivity.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Part of this ban has to do with pagans celebrating the birthday of some of their gods and the JWS associate that activity as a pagan practice or traditions of men.

Quite frankly its doubtful common ancient people celebrated birthdays , perhaps only for Kings or predominant high priests.

Today its just seen as a gesture of love and respect.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Even when I was totally in I thought no birthdays was a stretch

• Biahi
    Biahi

This organization hates children, treats them like crap, they miss out on everything. No wonder so many leave.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

NOWAWAKE14:

IMO, the ‘pagan’ thing is a convenient excuse . I think it’s not only about ‘glorifying the individual’.. I suspect the reason the JWs are against birthdays - more specifically- birthday parties, is they are afraid you’ll spend time with non-JW family and friends. That’s a no no. They are very threatened by you having a good time with people who aren’t JWs..You might not want the religion anymore.

SPARKY:

That picture of that old book from the days the Witnesses celebrated birthdays just shows the absurdity of the ever changing religion! It just drives home the stupidity of sacrificing everything for the religion. Just think of all the Witnesses who never got a decent job to provide for retirement and their old age came!..Now with all the sales of halls and that GDPR law, the rug will have been pulled out from under all these faithful JWs.....Time will solve the religion’s bad publicity problem when all these JWs pass away and then the religion can reinvent itself - yet again.

• just fine
    just fine

I think so if these beliefs are just made up to make the members feel special and different - a way to make it an us a against them environment even in innocent things.

• Acluetofindtheuser
    Acluetofindtheuser

Everyone celebrated birthdays pre and post Flood. This included Noah and his family. The early chapters of Genesis mentions a number of men and how long they lived. With the longevity mentioned with these people in Genesis the birthday celebrations would help these families keep a record of how old they were after all that time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit