The problem with movies this last decade or so

by LoveUniHateExams 12 Replies latest social entertainment

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Actually, I think I've discovered two issues.

The first is that there are too many soft reboots, remakes and re-imaginings. Don't get me wrong, Hollywood has always done remakes and some remakes work very well. The Fly (1986) and The Thing (1982) are actually remakes/re-imaginings of the original 50s films. But they are radically different from the originals and it clearly works having these remakes.

Compare those movies to the endless, mind-numbing procession of remakes and reboots that we get today.

Jurassic Park (1993) was a very successful, decent movie so the big corporation that owns the Jurassic Park franchise thought to themselves, 'let's do that again', so they did. We got Jurassic World (2015). Strictly speaking it's a sequel but its plot is so close to the original film that it can be thought of as a soft reboot. The main difference is that the dinosaur theme park is up and running this time around. Oh, and we also get a stupid, clichéd 'we can use raptors in the military' sub-plot - yippee!

Another example of the soft reboot corporate cash-grab is Star Wars The Force Awakens (2015). It's supposed to be the 7th movie in an already established franchise but it's basically A New Hope (1977) all over again, the differences being it has an altered tone and a stormtrooper who defects (<---- actually quite a good idea but it wasn't particularly well-executed). There's a youtuber named Banditincoporated and he did a full analysis of A New Hope and The Force Awakens, posing the question: if George Lucas took JJ Abrams to court for plagiarism, could Lucas win? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngg2uBK2j8s

And then there's the shitshow that was Ghostbusters (2016), the remake nobody wanted. I don't think I need say anymore on that embarrassment of a movie.

Think of all the horror classics of the 60s, 70s and 80s. They have all been remade. And the remakes have been mostly pointless.

So, all this and more leads me to conclude that there just aren't many good original ideas floating around Hollywood at the moment.

My second issue is this: I think screenplays aren't well-written nowadays. Decent, well-written characters with decent character development aren't exactly common-place nowadays.

Plots, too, are often substandard. Directors seem to think that if they chuck in a few more explosions then that will cover up their steaming pile of a plot (I'm thinking of you, Rian Johnson). Well, it won't work, at least not for me.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    Totally agree about The Force Awakens. I think another misconception is that running time makes a movie respectable. So if they aim for 2 hours +, even if it uses filler to get there, it's somehow more legit. I'm fine with long movies if it works and it's called for, but I know plenty of shorter films that are much tighter and tell the story better.
  • FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

The remakes are nothing other than SJW outlets to bash anything resembling morality or what any person trying to lead a good life would do, and promote the confused insane agenda of the left. IMO.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

I gave up on the Star Wars saga on the third movie (don't ask me what "episode" it is) because of Lucas dissing his own movie with Tarzan yells by Chewbacca, ewoks and storm troopers that couldn't hit the ground if they aimed for it.

I did like the remake of "The Thing" - totally twisted my brain with the effects but I also like the cast. I hate remakes that rely on effects, gore, sex and empty talk. That being said, I used to watch a lot of movies but for the most part, I like watching mindless monsters and big illogical peopleusingrobots movies now that I don't expect much out of, but I love the visuals and hopefully some funny lines.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Good movies are made, try some of the indies. IF you can find one. Catering to the lowest common denominator instead of making movies for certain audiences. You dont have to like my favorites, just as I may not like yours, but that doesn't mean I want all your movies gone

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

So long as audiences keep going to remakes the situation will stay the same. When something original comes a long, "ala" The Green Book, it has to be trashed. Sad really. I liked the Cohen brother's film The Ballad of Buster Skruggs. It is so different that it was awesome. It poked holes in the genre in ways Seth Mcfarlen's western couldn't touch.

• zeb
    zeb

Last night i began watching a sequel to Independance Day. If there was a plot i could not find it after just too many mega explosions I turned it off.

The Chinese girl with her luscious hair was nice but she too melded into the mess.

• Onager
    Onager

I really enjoyed The Ballad of Buster Skruggs too. Not only was it proper story telling, but it was a whole bunch of top notch stories!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I think another misconception is that running time makes a movie respectable - yeah, I think you might be on to something. I hadn't thought of that before.

Longer run-time doesn't necessarily equal better movie. Although most movies are at least 90mins, there are some very good movies that fall short of even 80mins. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) is just 79mins long, start to finish, not including end credits. And Red Eye (2005) is just 74mins long but it's actually pretty good.

Obviously, feature-length films have to be over a certain run-time but you're right - the longer the run-time might be, means nothing in the scheme of things.

All movie companies have to do is make a good movie, with decent characters and a solid plot, and tell that story taking however long they like. It helps if you make the good guys or hero relatable, too.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    FedUpJW - "The remakes are nothing other than SJW outlets to bash anything resembling morality or what any person trying to lead a good life would do, and promote the confused insane agenda of the left. IMO."

Well gosh, Fed, don't hold back.

Tell us how you really feel.

:smirk:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit