Did anyone see Oprah on Thursday? Polygamy and Child molestation

by Mulan 10 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Mulan
    Mulan

I have wanted to post about this since I saw the show on Thursday. It was shocking. Here is a synopsis from oprah.com There was so much about their lives that reminded me of our lives as JW's. The fear they had in leaving, and being literally unprepared to leave the cult and everyone they know and huge families. It's such a risk to them, but many are doing it to escape. What I want to know is HOW CAN THIS GO ON IN THIS COUNTRY???? These are not fundamentalist Mormons, but a different odd cult.

There are thousands of families in the United States who are living in secretive and bizarre religious sects that force young girls to marry middle-aged men and bear dozens of children. And if anyone wants to leave, they have to literally escape.

At age 15, Luann was forced to become her first cousin's fourth wife. She was married to him for five years and bore two of his children before she was rescued. "When I got married, I felt like my life was coming to an end. I feel like I was robbed of my childhood because I was expected to start having babies as soon as I got married." The community Luann was raised in believes they are direct descendants of Jesus Christ and incest will keep their bloodline "pure."

Just 50 miles north of the Grand Canyon in Colorado City, Arizona, Lenore was also forced as a teenager into a relationship with a man who had other wives. She is 40 years old and has 14 children. Now she is part of a group of people trying to rescue young girls from these polygamist marriages. Even though she still lives in Colorado City, she is not allowed to see two of her children. "Polygamy abuses women and provides a nest for child molestation."
    Oprah agrees. "If you marry a 14 year old, that is molestation."

Pennie escaped from Colorado City, Arizona at age 14 to avoid marrying a 48-year-old man. She is now on a legal crusade to prosecute these men she calls child molesters. "I've got two charges on two different men that were involved with my sisters. We've got one conviction already."

Polygamy was outlawed in this country over 100 years ago. Those who practice polygamy today are doing so illegally and are part of extremist groups?not the Mormon Church. If it is illegal, how does it still exist? Pennie says, "It is a taboo subject. Polygamy is a political bombshell. Nobody wants to touch it."

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I heard about this. . I found it very disturbing as well.

She is 40 years old and has 14 children.

Geez. . .

• jwbot
    jwbot

As usual...Oprah made me cry. Good, powerful episode.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    "It is a taboo subject. Polygamy is a political bombshell. Nobody wants to touch it."

I don't know why this is such a political hot potato.... no one agrees with it except the poligamists. I think they just need some leadership to go in there and prosecute some of those men. They probably do have problems with getting witnesses to testify. Historically, it didn't work in the early 19050's when they tried it, it only turned public opinion against the authorities, because they handled it poorly (breaking up families and turning over the children to foster homes in outside communities). I think they need a well thought out game plan where you leave the children alone, and prosecute the men, AND, some type of educational program for the women.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

It's a worldwide scourge.

Just another symptom of a patriarchal society that values the lives of its children and females as not worth much more than livestock. In some cases, even less. When it becomes apparent to these governments that *each* member of the human race has the *same* rights, and that HAVING these rights will benefit it as a whole, then it will become less. Because our (the US) government is so caught up in the "letter of the law" they ignore the spirit.

They are so caught up in separation of Church and State to the point that they are ignoring Church rules that may invade the civil rights of *children* and *females* that they ignore it because to make a ruling on such a thing would mean that the State is crossing over into the venue and jurisdiction of the Church, and NO, that can't happen!

Meanwhile.. countless children are given to Church elders (who may be related to them due to the isolation of the particular church) to marry, and have even more babies, who will subsequently be taken into this subjugation, and married off to uncles, cousins, etc. It's sick. The reason that they tolerate it in Utah and Arizona is because it's like the Witnesses. They all know that polygamous conditions exist in the "celestial" kingdom, and there are many people who believe it's a very important foundation of the Mormon religion, and they are the brave ones practicing it, while the other ones spout the religious doctrine that it's banned (but really, it's still there, lurking underneath the surface).

Utah is like another place in time if you ever go there. Everyone's Mormon it seems.

Colorado City is the place where all these polygamists live. The law doesn't seem to bother them there. But thankfully, they have a new breed of prosecutor that is going to keep after them and get them all~! There's been several prosecutions there, and I'm *so glad*! Several women are coming forward and talking about it. For once, finally, it's coming all out in the open! People aren't as ashamed as they used to be, thank heaven for that.

CG

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Removed

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

ok I think I am sick now. UGH

The human race far too often behaves like dogs, which is pathetic given the minds we are born with. UGH

• avishai
    avishai
    The human race far too often behaves like dogs, which is pathetic given the minds we are born with. UGH

Moe, you underestimate the situation, dogs are usually far more civil than humans.

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

NO KIDDING.

Sick that we are the most intelligent animal and yet we behave more stupidly than a common flea bitten street dog.

• rocketman
    rocketman

I didn't see it, but looks like a powerful show.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit