FYI: "Leah Remini's Anti-Scientology Documentary on A&E is scorching." Airs Tuesday the 29th, etc.

by AndersonsInfo 19 Replies latest jw friends

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

here's the official - Leah Remini: Aftermath: After Money - website:

http://www.leahreminiaftermath.com

• flipper
    flipper

My wife and I watched this last night on Xfinity on demand - excellent ! And to have people like Mike Rinder on there who experienced things at the top of the Scientology organization and who is still being shunned by his daughters as many of us are- really hit home. I'm glad Leah made this into a series so if people miss one show- they can catch another one. These abuses need to be exposed for mainstream America to see it.

I'd love to see the same thing happen to the WT Society but I believe it would take a popular celebrity or celebrities who are Ex-JW's with lots of money in order for people to listen, wake up,and pay attention. And there just aren't that many EX-JW celebrities out there that would have the courage to do this at present. Who knows ? Barbara - Maybe you could get with Steve Hassan and work out some kind of widescale media exposure of the WT Society. I know you've done it before on Dateline- perhaps we could get some connections going . What do you think ? Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• darkspilver
  • darkspilver
    darkspilver

USA lists the Episode One allegations - and remember there's seven more episodes to go....

'Leah Remini: Scientology' accuses church figure of statutory rape, abuse

Here are the seven major allegations from Tuesday's premiere episode.

1. Statutory rape went unreported to the police
    2. Scientologists take judicial matters into their own hands
    3. Leader David Miscavige is physically abusive
    4. Letters are written to families so members won’t be reported missing
    5. Amy Scobee was ordered to swarm Tom Cruise with Scientologists
    6. Security guards keep members from fleeing
    7. Members are relentless when encouraging disconnection

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2016/11/29/leah-remini-scientology-and-aftermath-premiere/94612920/

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I agree Mr Flipper I thought it was great and the whole disconnection thing just like disfellowshipping.

Same sort of shit different assholes basically.

• cobweb
    cobweb

I'm loving this show. Leah Remini is so passionate it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up sometimes, like when she talks about fighting for your family at the start of each episode. I've seen 6 episodes now including the q&a episode. I have heard awake witnesses using this show to get their jw partner to see the similarities and maybe wake them up too. Seems like a good idea as although the Scientologists take it to another level, the similarities are very much there. Information control, disfellowshipping, apostasy, believing they are doing something that will save the world etc.

It is interesting that so many high level people have left in the last 10 years or so. More than in the JWs. It used to seem like people were just too scared to speak up against Scientology and for good reason, but with so many books, films, and now this tv show coming out, it seems like they are becoming more vulnerable. Its hard to imagine that Scientology is going to do anything other than die a death after so much brutally negative publicity. Not necessarily from current members leaving but from noone joining.

While there is no similar 8 part Leah Remini tv show to deal with the JW organisation, there is an ever expanding ex-jw presence on the internet creating forums, youtube channels etc which will also be having a big effect, particularly on the young.

Gotta Love Leah Remini. Never heard of her as an actress but she is fearless, articulate and passionate. Its a powerful combination.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Just started watching all the episodes and i am now on episode 5. The terminology is different but it is uncanny how Scientology and the WT use much of the same tactics. As far as I know the WT does not go as far as publicly confronting ex members and video taping them.

I would like to write to Leah and just tell her that my experiences with the WT are much the same as what she and the other ex Scientologists have gone through.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Looks like Leah Remini has her eye's on the JWs for her next TV documentary.....

https://www.reddit.com/r/exjw/comments/6c7w0t/heard_a_rumor_that_leah_reminis_next_project_is_a/

• carla
    carla

"Looks like Leah Remini has her eye's on the JWs for her next TV documentary.."- I hope so!

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Why is it that the other cults get so much more air time than the JWs

In the particular case of Dianetics/Scientology, it is because they deliberately seek it out. The Church of Scientology ran paid ads and has their high-profile celebrity converts on the talk show circuit speak up about being Scientologists. Celebrity Witnesses are encouraged to be humble (to some extent, at least); recall the reports that Prince wore disguises when going out in field service.

Compare the number of Average Joe Citizens who know that Travolta, Cruise, Alley, etc. are Scientologists to the number who know that Prince, Michael Jackson, and the Williams sisters were/are Witnesses. Prince was a member of WTBTS, while Cruise is a spokesman for Scientology.

Another possibility is that compared to Scientology, Unification Church, FLDS, Westboro Baptist, Jonestown, Branch Davidians, Heaven's gate, etc. the Witnesses just don't produce many juicy headlines for the tabloid news. Frankly, they are rather boring to outsiders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit