WATCHTOWER WORDS

by minimus 34 Replies latest jw friends

• jwbot
    jwbot

They definitely have their own language...and it has been really difficult for me to stop using it. My boyfriend is mostly affected by this and he usually laughes at me lightheartedly if I say "the truth" and then I quickly fix it to "the lie". I am so used to calling it "the truth" and it is funny, because this shows my boyfriend and I just how weird the cult is because they change the meanings of words, and truly have their own language.

Interesting story: I was in Wal-mart with my now ex boyfriend and we ran into a friend of his from high school. Well there was just something weird about his language, and I got a weird feeling and I asked him right out if he was a Jehovahs Witness...and he was. Funny thing was...is he was talking about how he was drunk the other night...blablabla and obviously not adhering to bible principals (hypocrate) and I could STILL tell he was a JW. They definitely have their own language.

• minimus
    minimus

"Christ's invisible presence"....."the sign"...."the last days"...."this generation" (Now obsolete)....."the paradise"....."the 144000"...."the slave"..."the end"...."the organization"...."Matthew 18"...."the due"....."the demons"....."the world"

• Soledad
    Soledad

having attended a Spanish speaking congregation almost all of my dub life, there was the phrase "servicio del campo," which is field service. often it was shortened to "al campo."

there was a newly baptized publisher and his family attending a Sunday meeting, and after the public talk (discurso publico) a brief announcement was made that those who wanted to go "al campo" were to meet at 3pm at an elders home, and he gave the address. I went, and as I got out of my car, I noticed that the publisher and his family were also getting out their car. They were dressed in shorts, sneakers, and were carrying a cooler. I went up to them and asked what was happening. He asked if this was where we were supposed to meet to go "al campo." I stood there silently, realizing that he didn't understand that "al campo" was short for "servicio del campo" (field service). So I looked around making sure noone else was overhearing us and I told him, " you know what, there is a really nice park close by. If you want, you could park you car on the next street, that way you'll be closer to the picnic area. I hope you all have a nice time." He thanked me and took off in his car.

I saw him again only a couple of Sundays after that, then the rumor mill started on how brother so and so was irregular in field service. after all, wouldn't anyone rather go on a picnic than knock on doors??

• minimus
    minimus

Soledad, that was a good one! Sometimes we hear that "we are going in the field".....What the hell is that supposed to mean? I liked to see people's expressions when you told a "worldly" aka "normal" person that you're all dressed up because you just came back from "the meeting". What meeting? The AA one?

• Soledad
    Soledad

I should clarify that "al campo" can translate loosely into camping or picnic in english, so that is why the brother was confused, and he showed up dressed for the "picnic" ---it was particular in our congregation to say "al campo" instead of "servicio del campo," like all other spanish congregations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit