RBC... something I heard this weekend and I want to confirm

by StarTrekAngel 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

I have not been around much or even cared to dig into JW land. I been working on moving to a new place and leaving behind my old JW past, even the neighborhood where it all happened.

But something I heard this weekend had me thinking. My mother in law has a small, run down wooden home near the KH where we used to attend. She gave it away to her son and he told her that he was going to offer it up for the RBC since there will be a KH remodel/repair in the area in the near future. This way they could choose to house volunteers from other states or areas. This weekend she told us that he was told that starting (I don't know exactly when) the RBC requires that the residence being offered up be equipped to be "comfortable" for the visiting volunteer. This included (as a demand) that the bed be fitted with brand new sheets and towels, etc.

I thought that may be she misinterpreted whatever was said but she also added that a number of other sisters whom had rooms to spare in better looking homes, had to step back because they felt their places were not up to the new standard. She also added that now the RBC requires JWs to donate the food that will be served to the volunteers. Last time I participated on a remodeling there was a trailer home with a huge kitchen and I don't recall anyone having to donate food

Has anyone heard about this?

• Saltheart Foamfollower
    Saltheart Foamfollower

That sounds exactly right. The same thing has happened in my area with a renovation. And yes, they aren't requests, they are demands. There is also a regular announcement about how much has been donated towards the cost of the renovation to guilt trip everyone.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

If there is one thing WT is good at, it is taking. Giving is not on their agenda.

• Tech49
    Tech49

Food services are no longer included in RBC (now LDC) builds or remodels. All food service kitchens and stoves, etc are gone, sold off. Now, congregations are "assigned" the "privilege" of providing food for the site workers on a daily basis. That means that individuals become responsible for cooking and preparing food, so you never know what kind of quality or cleanliness you end up with. It can be pretty scary at times.

Housing: yes, they have supposed "standards" that your home must be up to in order to have "guests" working on the project. There is a pretty loose code of what that standard is, open to interpretation by the Project Coordinators and such. Yes, it is an area where lots of toes can be stepped on and feelings hurt over your home "not being good enough" to be used.

• steve2
    steve2

Perhaps Health & Safety laws require minimum standards so the organization is simply complying with secular laws?

In my home country, New Zealand, for example, if you offer your residence or property to an organization to utilize for accommodation purposes, you need approval from the local secular authorities. Best case scenario, they inspect the property or residence and it passes the inspection; worst case scenario, it cannot be used for the intended purpose until it meets strict requirements.

Gone are the days when volunteers could turn up and stay in a trailer home. Among other things, authorities want to know the number of people using the residence, how accessible is the residence (does it have a safe front entrance and fire exit doors etc.

• blondie
    blondie

Not unusual or new. I remember when the congregations were encouraged to give free accommodations to visiting jws at the district convention, the elders were directed to inspect the accommodations that had been offered. Some people did not pass the inspection.

• George One Time
    George One Time

Also if a KH has a home connected to it that is to be used by a CO that home has to meet certain qualifications.

• dozy
    dozy

It was the increasing pettiness of regulations that made me eventually give up working on KH rebuilds , refurbs etc. It was sad , as it was one of the few aspects of JW life that I found fulfilling and productive.

When we used to go on projects we would often just crash on an airbed or sofa in a living room. As long as there was a shower - that's fine. Proximity to the build location was a more important factor than how palatial the house was - in fact , a bunch of dirty , sweaty builders and roofers descending on a pristine house with white carpets doesn't really work very well.. For food - we used to pick up a McDonalds or fish & chips en route and somebody would get a few beers in. One time we stayed in a rough council flat in a pretty scary part of an inner city - it was absolutely fine - you are just looking for a 6 hour sleep , not checking into the Ritz.

I just wonder how the sisters feel when they are told that their homes are not up to the LDC standard , especially if it is the classic single mother with kids that make up a big proportion of JW households. .

• waton
    waton
    remember when the congregations were encouraged to give free accommodations to visiting jws at the district convention, the elders were directed to inspect the accommodations B.

We went from house to house to "book" free rooms for "delegates", remember being housed privately in NY city, sort of a wt version of "free" Airbnb.

With wtbts inc renos, construction, you pay for all, free to wt, then you pay for use later. and, last week's wt study, par.17:

you will be able to buy [truth] from wt in paradise eternally.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Would YOU want to lodge in some hoarded up dump? No? Than what exactly makes their "demands" out of the ordinary? Seems like a legit, appropriate request to me. Don't want to house volunteers? Don't offer up your place. A wood shack doesn't sound very comfy to me. Just sayin'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit