The necessity of "Spiritualizing" prophecy fullfillment

by refiners fire 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

The Watchtower organization has certainly, in times past, taken an absolute position on the matter of interpreting prophetic scripture passages. But they are not the only ones guilty of that crime. It is easy to demonstrate the same pattern from Adventism, and ( as I have done previously) from many other churches of the ?born again? variety, who foolishly believe they have received a final understanding of ?end times? prophecy? Make absolute statements of interpretation in Gods authority? And later are proven incorrect by the relentless march of history. A good example of this pattern, and the necessity of constant reinterpretation, is regarding Adventisms understanding of who constitutes the ?Kings that come from the Sunrising?.

A major Adventist apologist, Louis Weir, wrote a book on the subject demonstrating, with reproduced passages from old publications, the churches ever Eastward moving interpretation of this scripture passage over the course of a century. In the late 1800s Turkey was understood (and declared) to be the ?sunrise? king. Then, during the 1920s Japan, and after the defeat of Japan in WW2, Persia, and later again, China have all been interpreted as ?The Kings?. The reasons for this shifting of interpretation are clear. The rise and fall of empires, the constant changing of the world political scene. Just one quotation will suffice. Louis Weir quotes a passage from a 1940s Adventist flyer that declared Japan to be the ?sunrise king?:

Quote: ?Japan is unmistakeably identified with the prophecy of Revelation 16, led by the spirits of devils, and working miracles?In recent months, events in the Far East have moved rapidly in a direction that would indicate that, at last, the Kings of the East are moving in the direction of the rendezvous of prophecy, the river Euphrates? before our gaze the final act of the drama is rapidly unfolding?.

Now, of course, after Japan is defeated in war a reinterpretation becomes necessary. And so it goes on and on. Amazingly, and somewhat unfortunately, religious totalitarians are very stupid people in that they take a long time to learn from their mistakes. The Adventists misapprehended the ?sunrise kings? prophecy at least 4 times before they started to wise up that it made them look foolish when they kept declaring current events to be absolute prophetic fulfilment and then were forced to change position. Those who speak for God don?t like having to shift position. When this ?revelation? of reality is finally hammered into their heads, the tendancy of totalitarian churches is to ?Spiritualize? the interpretation of prophecy. This is done in a couple of ways?

Either the scripture passage is declared as finally fullfilled in an invisible event. Or the passage is declared as in process of fulfilment, but in a manner that is without end.

About the fulfilment of prophecy in an ?invisible? manner, readers here know of many WT examples. 1914 and 1918 are invisible fulfilments of literal expectations. It seems to be a rule in totalistic movements that wherever you find an invisibly fulfilled event?some research will unearth a formerly held literal expectation.

The latest JW interpretation of the ?generation? is a classic example of a prophetic fulfilment that is ?endless?. It is unconfirmable, and thus indisputable. This will remain the WTs final interpretation regarding the ?generation?. Set in stone and immovable.

The same applies to the JW understanding of the Kings of the North and South, so extensively laid out in the book ?Daniels Prophecy?. Every opposing set of nations in the history of history, including Germany vs Britain, and the US vs Russia is now declared an ongoing, rolling fulfilment of the Kings of the North and South prophecy. There can be no doubt this interpretation is merely a result of a new caution on the part of the religious totalitarians at Brooklyn. A caution (finally) learnt from innumerable letdowns, disappointments, and erroneous declarations.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Excellent post R_F

Japan is unmistakeably identified with the prophecy of Revelation 16,

"Unmistakeably" - LOL! And I thought only the 'tower bullied its followers into intellectual submission with such adjectives.

The same applies to the JW understanding of the Kings of the North and South, so extensively laid out in the book “Daniels Prophecy”. Every opposing set of nations in the history of history, including Germany vs Britain, and the US vs Russia is now declared an ongoing, rolling fulfilment of the Kings of the North and South prophecy.

A couple of months ago I perused the Purelanguage (pro-JW) discussion board. One of the thread topics made some reference to the "NEW" King of the North - !! I wonder if the Bethel Boys read that and think "damn, these people will believe just about anything we tell them".

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Danny. Nice to see you. Consider these words from the quoted passage:

"Japan is unmistakeably identified" and "a direction that would indicate "

Youll notice the term " would indicate " is less absolute. The Totalitarians throw an occassional term like this into their absolutist utterances. Its usually mixed in among 3 or 4 absolutist terms, and when things backfire they forget the absolute terms used and focus upon the lesser terms used by them, declaring "see? we said nothing definite".The dubs are more dishonest, I think, than Mormons and Adventists. Those churches have apologists that justify their falsehoods. The dubs simply HIDE them under the carpet and hope noone notices.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    One of the thread topics made some reference to the "NEW" King of the North - !!

There's another one? Who is it now! lol! And did anyone tell Jesus yet?

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

unmistakeably " would indicate "
    That sounds fair enough. ;)

• teejay
    teejay

Very nicely done, RF.

• mizpah
    mizpah

RF:

Interesting observations and comments. I couldn't agree more that the Watchtower is more dishonest in their practice to sweep everything under the rug.

"Spiritualizing" scripture and prophecy has a long standing history. One of the early attempts is found in The City of God by Augustine. He tried to explain scripture in view of events occurring in his day. Since the early expectations of Christ imminent coming failed, he allegorized the scriptures and applied them to the Church in Rome. This practice continues in one form or another to this day.

I can understand how Christians desire the return of Christ and are impatiently convinced that their era is the one prophesied about in the Bible. But when it becomes plain that they are mistaken, it would be nice if they humbly apologized and asked the forgiveness of their followers. The only example of this that I am aware of was William Miller himself. When his predictions failed, he did apologize for his errors. A rare man, indeed!

• OHappyDay
    OHappyDay

In like manner, the concept of applying to one's own organization all the good parts of prophecy is also very old. The Essenes of Qumran did it in the first century. Maybe that's where the early Christians got it, too. In fact, the early Christians and the Essenes picked some of the very same passages of Scripture to apply to their own organizations, using such to prove that each one was the "true" religion.

It is only of late that the Society has even admitted that many prophecies in the Bible were fulfilled already on the Jews in ancient times. To offer second and third "fulfillments" of those prophecies is little more than speculation. To apply all the good stuff to themselves is pure chutzpah. Christendom, of course, is always the bad guy. Call that Interpretation Made Simple.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

"Spiritualizing" scripture and prophecy has a long standing history. One of the early attempts is found in The City of God by Augustine. He tried to explain scripture in view of events occurring in his day... he allegorized the scriptures and applied them to the Church in Rome.

Miz: You have me at a disadvantage in terms of "City of God". I havent been able to wade thru that one. But based on my reading of what you say, I make an assumption that he took a "post millenialist" view of things and held that the Millenium had already commenced, which would mean the millenium extended from approx 500AD- 1500AD. So the Dark Ages were the millenium. Lol.

Thanks God. Great paradise there.

• mizpah
    mizpah

RF:

Yes, your assumption is correct. Augustine planted the seed that the "kingdom of God" was being fulfilled in the Church itself rather than a future event to come upon earth. This "city of God" (the Church" was in contrast to the "city of man", the pagan world.

That is why many Catholics were concerned with the approach of the new millenium. (1000 CE) If the Church was the kingdom of God, then the end of the 1000 years meant the loosing of Satan and a time of war and persecution as foretold in the Apocalypse. But the time passed without realizing these events. But the idea of the church being the "city of God" remained.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit