EXJWSOLIDARITY!!!!! 

by Luther bertrand 32 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Simon
    Simon
    Their acts of civil disobedience were done as acts that challenged specific laws. They deliberately broke the laws that needed changing.

Exactly. You don't just break any law, it has to be relevant - "well officer, I drove drunk in order to protest JW shunning ...". It just doesn't work.

More importantly, you don't harass individuals unless the people involved and the manner of harassment has some direct link to some law being protested.

AFAIK there simply isn't justification in this case.

Maybe tomorrow I'll stand up against the tyranny of shunning by stealing an XBox from BestBuy ... "join me brothers".

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Luther: 1. The first is the 2 witness policy for verification within the congregation. Though in this instance his tactic I admit would fall short.
    2. The fact that there are no laws for mandatory reporting of suspected child abuse in large swath of legal jurisdictions, which need to be changed. Hell even Geoffory Jackson agreed with this!

Challenging these rules of the WTS is not civil disobedience.

Breaking the law in order to bring attention to these issues is not civil disobedience - it is simply breaking the law - and the law being broken has no bearing whatsoever on the rules being challenged.

You cannot call violent protest civil disobedience. They are apples and oranges.

Using examples, like Parks and Ghandi (who actually did use civil disobedience) to try to bolster your position is not valid and it does an disservice to people who actually did have the courage to stand up and change unjust laws.

• JeffT
    JeffT

The thing about claiming "Civil Disobedience" is that it isn't a get out of jail free card. Civil disobedience worked in the case of segregated lunch counters and buses for a very simple reason: the police ran out of room to jail the people they arrested for breaking the law. This is an effective way to highlight an unjust law. Breaking the law to protest a religion isn't.

PS: I don't express solidarity with Roman Catholic extremists.

• Mephis
    Mephis

Just personal view, but some stuff seems only useful for the person doing it as they work through their exit. It's too confrontational to win much sympathy or attention (outside of a restraining order), and just feeds the GB narrative of crazy apostates for those inside.

Hope the guy doesn't come off too badly from all of this. I'm not sure if the original newspaper article gives a fair reflection of events. But don't cross the line into harassment and public order offences deliberately. That's silly.

• Luther bertrand
    Luther bertrand

@JeffT Thanks for the historical context because for that specific instance that you are referring to is correct. However, Civil Disobedience, nor any kind of non-violent protest, are restricted to the size of a jail room, though admittedly your history is right account of the lunch counter protests. What did you mean by the Roman Catholic extremists, you kind of lost me on that one.

• Luther bertrand
    Luther bertrand
    @Mephis I agree and admitted early that the protests would re-inforce some peoples response to stay closer to the organization, however, I know of others who reacted just the opposite. So, in a sense I think your points have a measure of validity. I hope Derek pulls through as well.
  • Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    I like turtles.
  • JeffT
    JeffT
    Do some research on your avatar.
  • Luther bertrand
    Luther bertrand
    I had a turtle once, I named him Elvis. No Joke. So, I like turtles also!
  • Luther bertrand
    Luther bertrand
    @JeffT Now I know what you are talking about!!!! Yes, there is a connection, however, as you know, I am sure, my avatar has taken on a different meaning that it had at one time. Good catch by the way! Most people don't know about that!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit